Thread: Scriptfest III

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Isaac_Brody View Post
    Sounds good, throw me some themes.
    oooh, democracy! lol

i don't know... you're putting us on the spot. i'll just list things off the top of my head - see what happens.

war
    technology
    money
    family
    mutation
    memory
    mental illness
    water
    music
    travel

yeah, my ideas pretty much suck right now. i'll have to think about it some more.

2. Collapse Details
    Water??? How would a water theme work? Like Waterworld?
    -Noel Ortiz

3. Collapse Details
    Lets get philosophical... Existential.
    Life is meaningless. Events are random. Fate is coincidence. The only truth is your will. Make yourself. Hell is judgement by "the other." Etc. Etc.

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by preston View Post
    oooh, democracy! lol

i don't know... you're putting us on the spot. i'll just list things off the top of my head - see what happens.

war
    technology
    money
    family
    mutation
    memory
    mental illness
    water
    music
    travel

yeah, my ideas pretty much suck right now. i'll have to think about it some more.
    I don't think the items in your list are necessarily themes. A theme is more of an idea. For example, "War" isn't a theme. But "war's negative effect on people's perceptions of soldier's" is a theme. Do you see the difference?

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by blindbuzta View Post
    I don't think the items in your list are necessarily themes. A theme is more of an idea. For example, "War" isn't a theme. But "war's negative effect on people's perceptions of soldier's" is a theme. Do you see the difference?
    Well, I have to disagree. They are indeed themes like those for the DVXuser fests. "Lovefest" or now "Twilight fest" for example. They are wide open. Your suggestion is already too specific.
    DVXUSER TimeFest!

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Simon Höfer View Post
    Well, I have to disagree. They are indeed themes like those for the DVXuser fests. "Lovefest" or now "Twilight fest" for example. They are wide open. Your suggestion is already too specific.
    "Twilight Fest" isn't the theme, it's the name of the festival. The theme is
    Theme: Everything may not be as it appears...perhaps there's a sneaking feeling that something is seriously wrong here...or maybe you're caught between two worlds or realities where anything can happen...
    That's pretty specific as well...

7. Collapse Details
    Well, that is not specific at all. These are suggestions to give you an idea. Nothing more. So what about Lovefest? Or Timefest? nothing specific as well. It had to be about love or time.
    DVXUSER TimeFest!

8. Collapse Details
    From the rules of those fests:

Love fest:
    The festival category is a short film with the theme of LOVE. Films can be in any genre as long as the theme is love. If you have any questions about whether your film conforms to the theme please ask me.

Timefest:
    The theme of this DVXFest is Time. Time should be an integral theme that runs through each film, but filmmakers are allowed to choose their own genres. A few examples are-- films where the central character is racing against time to complete a vital task, films that explicitly manipulate time through editing and storyline such that time is a central theme, time travel, films that deal with the cause and effect of time's influence.
    DVXUSER TimeFest!

9. Collapse Details
    Not to belabor the subject, but this is something I have studied intensely through college. See Wikipedia's explanation of "Theme" as it explains what I'm getting at better than I did.
    In the visual arts, a theme is a broad idea or a message conveyed by work done in a visual experience, such as a performance, a painting, or a motion picture. This message is usually about life, society or human nature. Themes are the fundamental and often universal ideas explored in a work. Themes are usually implied rather than explicitly stated. Deep thematic content is not required in a visual work; however, some observers would say that all visual work inherently projects some kind of outlook on life that can be taken as a theme, regardless of whether or not this is the intent of the author. Analysis of changes (or implied change) in dynamic characteristics of the work can provide insight into a particular theme.
    A theme is not the same as the subject of a work. For example, the subject of Star Wars is "the battle for control of the galaxy between Galactic Empire and the Rebel Alliance". The themes explored in the movies might be "moral ambiguity" or "the conflict between technology and nature".
    Themes differ from motifs in that themes are ideas conveyed by the visual experience as a whole, while motifs are repeated symbols found inside an over-arching theme. Simply having repeated symbolism related to chess, does not make the story's theme the similarity of life to chess. Themes arise from the interplay of the plot, the characters, and the attitude the author takes to them, and the same story can be given very different themes in the hands of different authors. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theme_(arts))

10. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by tmpafilmer25 View Post
    Water??? How would a water theme work? Like Waterworld?
    yeah, water might not be on the short-list for he next fest. i'm an idiot sometimes.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast