Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Canon 50D + Hdmi Recorder = Revolution?
    Hello Moviemakers,

I've been following the Nikon d90 d-movie thread for several days now and it seems to me like everybody's continuosly discussing about the same things: exposure lock? / rolling shutter? / mjpeg? But I wanna pursue something else:

What really interests me is a setup that really get's the done job! The Canon isn't out yet, but I'd like to speculate a little and get ur opinion on where I think wrongly.

Vision (from front to rear):
    I imagine a Zeiss Planar glass (cause I know it locks at infinite focus)
    mounted on a railsystem
    with followfocus attached to the lens
    a little mount adapter screws it to the
    50d
    the short hdmi cable goes to the
    portable hdmi recorder (haven't looked into those products yet) also attached to rails

Possible problems?
    AutoExposure? - no. The liveview exposure is also lockable on my 40d in sd video out mode
    Rolling Shutter? Maybe. On my 40d the image squeezes a little during pans. The higher shutter the uglier.
    Hdmi? I don't know. What data is being transported through the hdmi cable?
    Autofocus not possible? Yes. But get a cheapocam for af movies.
    Can the hdmi recorder record 4:4:4? Don't know either.
    white square in the center during liveview? Maybe. It's there on my 40d, hopefully they'll turn that off--> See the testshots I made yesterday:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TdPGTDHBDRg

Why Canon? you ask. Simply cause I'm more into that brand and they're doing the same thing. Canon 5D Mark II is supposed to be having the moviemode included as well but on a 35mm chip. droool

mockup:

Looking forward to your opinions, ideas, comments!

Cheers
    Last edited by dual; 09-04-2008 at 09:38 AM. Reason: picture added

2. Collapse Details
    i like it, and canon is my choice as well. fingers crossed. I did a search and saw"With LV on, the joy stick will allow you to set focus box off" hmmmm..

3. Collapse Details
    Maybe the sentence continues like this:
    "will allow you set focus box off center". Because that's the only thing it does on the 40d.

4. Collapse Details
    If the D50 will produce such good Video, then i ask myself the question:

Why isn't Canon producing camcorders with these high capacity sensors in them?

I love the picture you've made... I am currently using a Canon D40, but I am selling up and going over to Nikon, as after shooting a friends D300, i am hooked and "I" belive the glass to be better...

I think the Canon will stear clear of the Video function of SLR's for the time. They will wreck their camcorder business, where as Nikon doesnt havt one to wreck...

Just image, and SLR which has better functions, and can record video as good as a camcorder costing 2/3/4 times as much...

To be honest, i would love a good reason to stick with Canon, but the D50 just isnt it... I belive its way over priced and for now Nikon has my attention...

I too am very interested in your proposed set-up, even though the cost is going to be way out my budget...

The things that are better on the D50 are

- More resolution ( Could mean more noise )
    - 14 bit adc
    - Gapless CMOS Lens

Maybe these three things will eliminate the problems of the D90 with recording, or maybe they wont, in which case, you can substitute that D50 for the D90/D300/D700 etc...

Samples i have seen of the D50, dont make me want to pay 80% more for it that the D90...

Here D90 is 700 and D50 1200...

I think that Nikon is going down a route of "gimiks" plus aiming towards ameture and pro-sumer and Canon aiming more and more at the high end professional...
    Last edited by bakoo; 09-08-2008 at 10:47 AM.

5. Collapse Details
    Hi bakoo
    I see your point. It would wreck their own camcorder business BUT at the same time wouldn't it boost their dslr business if they were the FIRST to produce something usable?
    Sure this business is about holding back the good stuff and making it available at the right time, I'm not a marketing guy so that's just a guess, but I think it's also about speed. The first will get the buyers.
    And if Nikon were to be the first, Canon would also have their camcorder business wrecked for being second.

Also, the hdmi solution has a touch of diy, and I think most of the consumers are just too limited minded to go that far. It will take time. See the 2000 post thread about the D90? Everybody wants to buy the D90 with "new moviemode". In this lilli thread here there are poor 4 posts so far. Doesn't look like Canon is wrecking their camcorder business to me.
    But yes, you might still be right.

Anyway, it's a matter of time, sooner or later I believe it will be possible to shoot with dslrs or cheap camcorders will finally get that full size sensor and a lensmount.

Curious: What is a gapless CMOS lens?

6. Collapse Details
    Hey

Gapless CMOS lens' are where there is no gap between pixels as each individual photon lens is edge to edge... Traditional CMOS/CCD lens have little gaps between each lens...

I see the point of inovation, as a kid i would go the long complex route as oppose to the user friendly or trend route...

I used my camcorder as a WebCam, and used my old digicams as camcorders from av out into my pc capture card... I see 100% where your coming from on this one...

Think Canon in this case will for sure be market followers, as Nikon has already entered the market with such product...

Usually Nikon and Canon are 100% competative, and down to a brand... My surprise is that Sony, who is king of the Gimiks, has no plans as of yet to put a movie mode on a dSLR...

My dSLR users will not use the movie mode i dont think, but whats happened with the D90 is that Nikon has captured a little of the market Canon has, but without launching a dedicated product... Maybe Nikon are telling use something here, make a Nikon camcorder is around the corner...

I however dont belive that an sDLR will ever match the quality of the dedicated machine out of the box, but like your picture shows, a dSLR can be part of a pro set up when used in combination with other bits of hardware...

I would love to see Canon bring something out to rival this, but my guess is that we will be waiting at least a year... Hope canon do integrate this feature, as then i dont have to sell my glass and go to the darkside...

I also see the point that Canon might well not do any harm to the camcorder business at all, and where they do, the camera business will compensate...

5D MKII might be what Canon has to show, and with a FF, it will deliver killer video and great noise performance...

7. Collapse Details
    I dont really go with rumour, and usually dont post them... But maybe this one will prove you correct... Email from a friend who works for Canon who claims this spec is doing the rounds at the office...

24 Megapixel FF
    DUAL DIGIC IV
    Video Mode (1080p)

This is claimed to be the new MK2 5D... I dont usually post such stuff, but seems like its possible...

Maybe I will give Canon a few more weeks to prove their worth...

8. Collapse Details
    Filmmaker's Mod
    If Canon drops a Camera that does 1080p my D90 is going up for sale immediately.

That's all I gotta say.

9. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by bakoo View Post
    Hey

Hope canon do integrate this feature, as then i dont have to sell my glass and go to the darkside...

good thought.

This was posted on canon rumors by the way:
    "I work for the company making Canons booths for Photokina, we are making booths for 3 new slr cameras, they haven't told us which ones. So if the XS is one of the cameras, the other 2 could be the new 3 & 6 cameras. I will try to get you more scoops"

So maybe the 5D will already come out in two weeks. That'd be cool. Kholi, get ready to sell your new camera :P
    Last edited by dual; 09-11-2008 at 05:34 AM. Reason: no

10. Collapse Details
    Canon
    Gizmodo

The specs for the 5d Mark II are out and it looks like we're really going somewhere. Of particular interest to this thread are these lines:

"
    It's 1920x1080 resolution at 30fps—so 1080p/30 by most definitions—for up to 12 minutes of continuous recording, or up to 24 minutes shooting SD on a 4GB memory card. Yep, you've got a mini HDMI out port to plug it directly into your HDTV. Output is MPEG-4 with CD-grade audio (16-bit PCM at 44KHz), and unlike the D90, Canon records sound in stereo. Since the SLR mirror flips up to record video (really, the live view feed), you aren't able to lock the focus, but live view has three different focus modes: quick, contrast detection (aka live), or face live detection."

"It'll be $2700 for the body or $3500 with the 24-105mm kit lens, out at the end of November, so you'll be hurting for a bit longer, sadly."

Sounds ok, except for that mpeg-4 part I guess. But let's see the compression and rolling shutter capabilities of this baby in November.

Cheers

Last edited by dual; 09-17-2008 at 02:53 AM. Reason: Photo added

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast