Page 5 of 293 FirstFirst 1234567891555105 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by MattinSTL View Post

While we're on the subject of dollies... get yourself a $2 laser pointer and a magnetic bulldog clip... then when you're setting up your dolly shots you pop the laser pointer and bulldog clip on the fisher/chapman/whatever hunk of metal you have... and you can mark an "x" on 3 pieces of white gaff tape... mark one is your one (duh)... mark two is your slowing point... and mark three is the landing.

The guys will think you're the sh*t... and you ONLY have to watch your marks instead of guessing the shot each time.
    YOU the man! This is great stuff...(bowing on his knees, hands out-stretched) keep sharing oh great one. (I think you should write a book!)

2. Collapse Details
    We shot on the salt flats and the dolly shots were killing us...
    I hope that wasn't the McGregor shoot - he and Barlow Elton should have known better ;)

The Salt Flats will kill just about anything - they a mess to work on but beautiful footage usually is the end result.

3. Collapse Details
    Look at my avatar :-)
    LIGHTING and SOUND AVAILABLE FOR DIGITAL DOWNLOAD OR ON DVD

LIGHTING for Film & Television DVD Excerpts Reel.................................................. ............................. SOUND for Film & Television DVD Excerpts Reel

4. Collapse Details
    And if you're reading this about dolly track... spray it directly on the track... just a quick walking speed down each rail as you hold the spray on. You'll be the hero at the next gig.
    There is a downside to this method, and that is spraying it directly on the tracks can make the area around the tracks rather slick and, in some cases, owners of the carpet underneath will also complain. Personally, my suggestion is to spray it on a cloth and just rub down the rails... if you know what I mean

Also, silicone spray is FANTASTIC stuff. 90% of the time lemon pledge is used but silicone spray is actually made for this kind of stuff and even protects the rubber and plastic parts from drying out.

While we're on the subject of dollies... get yourself a $2 laser pointer and a magnetic bulldog clip... then when you're setting up your dolly shots you pop the laser pointer and bulldog clip on the fisher/chapman/whatever hunk of metal you have...
    That, my friend, is a great idea. I've never seen that one. The magnetic bulldog clip is brilliant.

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Texanite View Post
    There is a downside to this method, and that is spraying it directly on the tracks can make the area around the tracks rather slick and, in some cases, owners of the carpet underneath will also complain. Personally, my suggestion is to spray it on a cloth and just rub down the rails... if you know what I mean

The only reason I said this is because on occasions where this was the problem... and the dolly was squeaking madly... people lightly wiped the rails, as if they were actually cleaning them... and then "It's still squeaking, but it's better"... and I, being a sound guy, was still listening to my dialog being ruined by rubber tires creaking and settling on the rails... I'm SURE you know the sound I'm talking about... so I say "gimme' that"... and run up and spray the rails down... then the problem is actually fixed.

Obviously if you're over a surface that matters... you gotta' be careful... and yeah, I wouldn't spray that on carpet. If we ever do a shot on carpet then I'll put a liberal amount on a cloth and wipe the rails.

On the other thing... the reason a magnetic bulldog clip works so good is that you need something to hold down the push-button switch on the cheap laser pointer... and with any fisher/chapman you've got a big flat surface of metal to stick the thing anywhere you want... and if you need to you can easily bend the bulldog clip so that the pointer dot is out to the side of the rails. Then the guy pushing ONLY watches the marks after getting a rehearsal on speed. Makes the same push easily repeatable (Mr. Obvious).

LIGHTING for Film & Television DVD Excerpts Reel.................................................. ............................. SOUND for Film & Television DVD Excerpts Reel

6. Collapse Details
    Thanks for putting this together! I've been looking for something like this. One question, I think I understand the order, but wanted to confirm...

4. Shuttle size or glide block
    100 mm long shuttle, System Height: 35 mm (1.38")
    150 mm long shuttle, System Height: 35 mm (1.38")
    200 mm long shuttle, System Height: 35 mm (1.38")
    Glide Block, System Height: 27 mm (1.07")

Is the shuttle something different than the ones indicated in the radio buttons on the 16 x 60 section? If not, which one did you choose?

***EDIT*** I see that, once you hit the submit button, you see the part number in the order. Okay, that said, what do you think about a 2/3" camera being used on this track guage and the sled you've chosen? I'm considering the:

1000 mm of rail WS-20-80, 1 shuttles number WW-20-80-20,
    Rail: 9 mounting holes, 120 mm apart; Dim C5/C6 (first/last hole to end of rail): 20 mm; bolt size: M6

...instead for use with the bigger cameras. Again, thanks for the great resource! ***EDIT***

e
    Last edited by Erik Olson; 09-07-2008 at 06:21 AM.
    Erik Olson

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Chenopup View Post
    I just wanted to reiterate the good parts that Zaza listed at the beginning of this thread. I ordered the next size up (prior to this thread) and they're almost too much for a slider. My carriage ended up being almost 8 inches long (I'll cut it down) but Zaza's parts list is ideal for this type of project. Cheaper too!

My parts were recommended on another forum and not as ideal as Zaza's.

cheno
    I'd get in touch with Chenopup... he went one size up and would be better able to comment.

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Olson View Post
    Thanks for putting this together! I've been looking for something like this. One question, I think I understand the order, but wanted to confirm...

4. Shuttle size or glide block
    100 mm long shuttle, System Height: 35 mm (1.38")
    150 mm long shuttle, System Height: 35 mm (1.38")
    200 mm long shuttle, System Height: 35 mm (1.38")
    Glide Block, System Height: 27 mm (1.07")

Is the shuttle something different than the ones indicated in the radio buttons on the 16 x 60 section? If not, which one did you choose?

***EDIT*** I see that, once you hit the submit button, you see the part number in the order. Okay, that said, what do you think about a 2/3" camera being used on this track guage and the sled you've chosen? I'm considering the:

1000 mm of rail WS-20-80, 1 shuttles number WW-20-80-20,
    Rail: 9 mounting holes, 120 mm apart; Dim C5/C6 (first/last hole to end of rail): 20 mm; bolt size: M6

...instead for use with the bigger cameras. Again, thanks for the great resource! ***EDIT***

e
    ...Again, I went with 16mm rails (WS-16-60 & WW-16-60-10) and I don't think you'd have a problem with it? Please contact Chenopup.

8. Collapse Details
    Erik - I ordered the 200 mm shuttle - last number of the block part is "20" meaning 200 mm. Even for a 2/3" cam, what Zaza ordered appears to be plenty strong for a larger cam. If you go with the 20-80 rail, which is what I have, you only need maximum a block that's 150mm long or with a 15 at the end of the 3 numbers. I'm cutting mine down tomorrow. Remember the larger tripod heads have a 100mm bowl mount, you don't need larger than that for the size of your block head.

so that 2nd line of your order "Shuttle size" would be the 100mm which is about 4 inches long. The part number would be WW-20-80-10.

In all honesty though, if you order what Zaza listed I think you'd be just fine. This stuff if amazingly strong and on a good set of sticks I think a larger cam will be just fine on it.

All we can do is a bit of trial and error at this point. Worse case, if that slider doesn't work for your cam, it would be easily sellable.

9. Collapse Details
    Update on first post... added the "low-rider" endcaps.

10. Collapse Details
    Erik I'd be scared to put any 2/3" chip cam that I've used on there. I certainly, CERTAINLY would NOT try to use the slider on top of a tripod w/ a 2/3" cam! By the time you have slid the cam out 18" to one side or the other the whole thing's going to topple.

If you build some kind of anchoring ends... or you just want to clamp that down on a table... then sure... you'd be fine... but there's no way I'd put a 2/3" cam on that and expect to slide it out to either end of that rail.

Even on a really really solid tripod (something freakin' huge) I think that the rail pictured would HAVE to bend under 25+ pounds of weight.

The slider we used with a Panavision looked like this:

Is your 2/3" cam less then 20lbs? I couldn't see it being less then 18lbs at the very least... and it could be over 30lbs if it's an older 2/3" chipper.

I'd go with the larger size.

Page 5 of 293 FirstFirst 1234567891555105 ... LastLast