Page 11 of 293 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314152161111 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Got mine built. I bought the tap/drill kit and handle at lowes. Make sure you get a handle big enough for the drill size. Some only go to 1/4". Might be better to buy the tap stuff at an auto supply store. I needed the Amazing Hulk to help turn the tap handle but I got it done. I also tapped another hole on the rail next to the recessed hole, so I would have more threads to bite. Anxious to try this out soon. Thanks again for the slider tip.

2. Collapse Details
    I was thinking about building one of these, and don't get me wrong, they can be very useful, but I found their flaw to be the same as when you use a tripod head on a jib-
    You can't make a smooth camera move when you're also moving the "base", same problem with pvc dollies that you can't ride on. When you're walking next to it, it's impossible to get smooth camera panning because you're walking speed will never be steady like the dolly speed.

If you have to pull focus too, forget it. It won't be that smooth.

3. Collapse Details
    I'm wondering if the one in this thread is not studier?: http://dvxuser.com/V6/showthread.php?t=132115&page=3

At least the rail base looks to be studier. How would the two compare?

4. Collapse Details
    >You can't make a smooth camera move when you're also moving the "base", same problem with pvc dollies that you can't ride on. When you're walking next to it, it's impossible to get smooth camera panning because you're walking speed will never be steady like the dolly speed.

I don't think we're talking about long moves here. This isn't going to replace a dolly but it can replace a jib arm in many cases. We have a jib arm and it's a pain to haul and assemble. Usually I just want a pan or push-in less than 2 feet. and this does that quite well. Look at Zazacast's samples.

5. Collapse Details
    What is the lemon pledge, anyway??

Is that like dish washing soap??

Won't that hurt the lubrication on slider??

Thanks for answer!!!

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by yeehaanow View Post
    I was thinking about building one of these, and don't get me wrong, they can be very useful, but I found their flaw to be the same as when you use a tripod head on a jib-
    You can't make a smooth camera move when you're also moving the "base", same problem with pvc dollies that you can't ride on. When you're walking next to it, it's impossible to get smooth camera panning because you're walking speed will never be steady like the dolly speed.

If you have to pull focus too, forget it. It won't be that smooth.
    A slider wonīt substitute a dolly, but for "spicing up" production value itīs perfect.
    ::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
    I LIKE FOOD. FOOD IS GOOD.
    ::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

7. Collapse Details
    Attaching a Miller head to my slider _hey engineers
    My Miller DS20 head has a 2 inch threaded bolt coming out the bottom of a 75mm 1/2 ball. So it's too long to screw straight into the slider block without hitting the rail underneath. Any ideas on how I might do this? I've got a cheapo head that will work but would I like to work with this one. Maybe I need to make a spacer of some sort.

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Sneakle View Post
    My Miller DS20 head has a 2 inch threaded bolt coming out the bottom of a 75mm 1/2 ball. So it's too long to screw straight into the slider block without hitting the rail underneath. Any ideas on how I might do this? I've got a cheapo head that will work but would I like to work with this one. Maybe I need to make a spacer of some sort.
    Does that half of the ball come off the head?

9. Collapse Details
    No way that I can see, without some major surgery. One possible solution would be to use a lock nut to limit how far the thing screws down in. But not much mass there to make it firm. I can always use the old head I have but just trying to gear down to the minimum I take on a location shoot. And with that in mind, I may trim the rail down to 34" so it's the same length as my stands and tripod.

10. Collapse Details
    I've neglected this - actually forgot about this thread for a long time. I'll have some stuff from of our "somewhat modified" ZaZaDIYSlider sometime next week. Mwahahaha!!!

e
    Erik Olson

Page 11 of 293 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314152161111 ... LastLast