Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Collapse Details
    Wilmywood: "Where the Carolina Moon Meets the Hollywood Stars!" ™ (NC baby)
    I agree with many of you on the stagey'ness in older films and a lot of that was them pulling actors from stage for roles. Plus, those older cameras and lighting were no where near as advanced and I think directors often asked for talent to go bigger.

ps...JR, Brando denounced 'method' before he died, saying it messed up his head. But as the story goes....either Uta Hagen or Stella Adler (can't remember which right now) went over to meet Stanislovski and came back to the states to report of the way Method was taught in the states as, "We got it all wrong". There was even a movement in the 80's in NYCof shrinks teaching 'method' cause so many went off the deep end...

I have nothing against it until a person starts to 'live' their character because an actor should be able to turn it off too! Some of the stories behind it are wild too! Glen Close living her role in Fatal Attraction and her marriage ending because of it is one rumor....Robert Blake disapearing off a movie for 2 days and an unsolved murder is rumored....and everyone knows the Dustin Hoffman story when Sir Lawrence O said "why don't you just try acting Dusty".

Just some fun stuff to share!
    Sincerely,
    Flora Barren (A Little Mouth to Feed)
    aka Michele Seidman
    imdb / 800Casting / Actors Access / Michele and the Midnight Blues

2. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Michele Seidman View Post
    But as the story goes....either Uta Hagen or Stella Adler (can't remember which right now) went over to meet Stanislovski and came back to the states to report of the way Method was taught in the states as, "We got it all wrong". There was even a movement in the 80's in NYCof shrinks teaching 'method' cause so many went off the deep end...
    That was Stella Adler. Brando really owes his acting techniques to her. He never was a "Method" actor.

Stella Adler said it best (quote from wikipedia) - "Afterwards she allegedly claimed that it will take a hundred years to repair what Strasberg did to acting."
    Actor / Musician

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Marshall View Post
    That was Stella Adler. Brando really owes his acting techniques to her. He never was a "Method" actor.

Stella Adler said it best (quote from wikipedia) - "Afterwards she allegedly claimed that it will take a hundred years to repair what Strasberg did to acting."

Oh thank goodness Tom...glad you knew which one it was. Curious why Brando claimed method messed him up if he did not consider himself a method actor. Any knowledge on that?

Michele
    Sincerely,
    aka Michele Seidman

4. Collapse Details
    Brando originally started out at the Actor's Studio (which was mainly Method) and stayed there for a month if I remember correctly. Soon afterward, he met Stella Adler and she probably showed him why Strasberg had such a flawed method with all the sense memory stuff. I have the Brando book (Songs My Mother Taught Me) where he goes into some of that, but I haven't read it in years and don't remember a lot of it.

Stella Adler was such a great teacher. If she was still alive, I'd definitely take classes from her. She has such a different take on acting than a lot of the others. I have the two books that she wrote and she comes off as a very artistic person and just draws you into what she's doing.
    Actor / Musician

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Marshall View Post
    Brando originally started out at the Actor's Studio (which was mainly Method) and stayed there for a month if I remember correctly. Soon afterward, he met Stella Adler and she probably showed him why Strasberg had such a flawed method with all the sense memory stuff. I have the Brando book (Songs My Mother Taught Me) where he goes into some of that, but I haven't read it in years and don't remember a lot of it.

Interesting...was not aware he left the studio that quick. I don't think the comment he made about method would be in the book. I heard he said it in an interview near the end of his life but can't find the source myself. If I do I will pass it on...

ok..gimpy me and my bad shoulder are checking out for the night! enjoyed the banter a bunch Tom!
    Sincerely,
    aka Michele Seidman

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12