Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    I doubt people hated it. I think some people probably didn't get around to reading and reviewing ALL the scripts, only some of them. So some scripts got more votes as a result. The more votes, the better chances for a higher score. That's what I'm telling myself, anyway.
    If this is true than we need to build in some statistical method in the calculation to even the playing field.

I mean some of the scripts could get 5 solid perfect tens. But won't stand a chance if others get 20 votes of 4 points. You will lose with the perfect script just because people didn't read and vote enough. Might be more help to know how many votes we got, rather than where we came in the table.

The overall score should be an average of votes casted for your work. Otherwise you might score high with 40 readers giving you a score of one. You could improve your chances by call your script "A" and promoting it like crazy in the fest. Even if it's crap, the more people you get to vote the better.

Not a moan, just a way to improve.

Anyway back to fleshing mine out to 10 pages and digging out the silly mistakes that everyone but me could see (need a prove...prof...puff...proof reader).
    Last edited by seansshack; 08-25-2008 at 09:36 AM.

2. Collapse Details
    I'm from Iowa--I only work in outer space
    I'm pretty sure, based on how the scoring worked for the last film Fest, that it is an average and not a total. But I'm not certain...
    The Plinkett Equation:

TOS16 + TNG5 + DS94 + VOY11 + ENT 8
    __________________________________________________ = History is changing every 23 millionths of a second

F649 + Alp987 + Bet934 + Gam764 + Del837 * 100,000,000,000

3. Collapse Details
    It is an average, so figure that in some cases scripts we're separated by a very small amount. It's not worth taking too seriously, the important part is feedback and improving. I think more voting time will help the process. We'll stretch it out so that every piece gets enough votes for a proper mean.

4. Collapse Details
    Where's everybody getting "out of 40" from? I only count 39... maybe I'm an idiot.

5. Collapse Details
    Chapelgrove Films
    I assumed it was an average. Even so, the more people who cast a vote on your script, the more likely you are to get a higher average score. It would be nice if everyone who voted would vote on EVERY script. I don't know if extending the voting time is necessary though. I would suspect that most of the voting occurred in the first few days. Could be wrong though.
    David W. Richardson
    Writer/Producer/Director/Editor
    Chapel Grove Films
    Celtic Cross Films
    Bliss Video Productions
    http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1400903/?ref_=tt_ov_dr

6. Collapse Details
    Chapelgrove Films
    Quote Originally Posted by Isaac_Brody View Post
    It's not worth taking too seriously...
    Isaac, this is the second time you've said that. (Once in PM.) And I have to take issue with you. I don't know about anybody else, but I took this fest very seriously. I tried very hard to write a great script, and I considered the feedback and comments to be very important. So of course I take the voting seriously. The voting is another form of feedback.
    David W. Richardson
    Chapel Grove Films
    Celtic Cross Films
    Bliss Video Productions

7. Collapse Details
    It's good you took your script seriously, I don't doubt that, but I think you're taking the voting personally. I'm open to letting you guys know how you placed, but if you can't take the public criticism for your work then I'll probably just tell the top ten.

Again, it's not about how many votes you got, it's about improving.

8. Collapse Details
    Chapelgrove Films
    I'll admit to being surprised at how poorly Alien Abuction fared. But knowing the score IS valuable, just as much so as the comments and feedback. In fact, it may be MORE valuable than those. People may hesitate to publicly criticize your work, but their vote speaks for them. To my mind, the vote is a more accurate barometer of the overall reception to your work than the comments and feedback are, and as such it is extremely important information to have.

Having said that, I don't believe the vote is infallible either. As I said in a previous post, if everyone doesn't vote on every script, then the results may be skewed. Still, the vote total and ranking are useful when weighed with the critiques and comments.

This is what I mean when I say that I take the rankings seriously. I mean the information has great value.
    David W. Richardson
    Chapel Grove Films
    Celtic Cross Films
    Bliss Video Productions

9. Collapse Details
    I'm from Iowa--I only work in outer space
    Quote Originally Posted by chapelgrovefilms View Post
    I would suspect that most of the voting occurred in the first few days.
    I did my voting on Thursday and Friday, got my last vote in with about half an hour to spare. I had originally intended to wait until I read them all to vote but then I started getting worried that I wouldn't be able to read them all...
    The Plinkett Equation:

TOS16 + TNG5 + DS94 + VOY11 + ENT 8
    __________________________________________________ = History is changing every 23 millionths of a second

F649 + Alp987 + Bet934 + Gam764 + Del837 * 100,000,000,000

10. Collapse Details
    More Cowbell Pictures Michael Anthony Horrigan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Pierce View Post
    I did my voting on Thursday and Friday, got my last vote in with about half an hour to spare. I had originally intended to wait until I read them all to vote but then I started getting worried that I wouldn't be able to read them all...
    I voted just after you I believe. I remember seeing your post.

The deadline snuck up on me. A little more time would have been helpful.

Cheers,

Mike

MONSTERFEST : 4th Place - Sustained Excellence Award - WESTFEST: 3rd Place - THRILLFEST: 3rd Place

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast