Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
  1. Collapse Details
    the half dozen ratings i had the chance to give (didn't realize voting was ending in the AM) were based solely on story.

and again, to reiterate for the millionth time, "budget awareness" was simply a suggestion for future rewrites. if anyone finds that offensive they need thicker skin.

especially since most effects can be done digitally.
    if you say so...

i'll appreciate a good argument when i see one.

2. Collapse Details
    Ian calm down... Telling people they need "thicker skin" is unnecessary. Not sure why you're getting worked up but chill out here and in the other threads as well.

3. Collapse Details
    that was my last comment on format i assure you.

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by jamiejay View Post
    Again, I just wish I knew more of the rules of script writing before I started and I hope those rules will be posted ahead of time in the future. I was one of those who unknowingly used "we see" and apparently pissed off the dictator .... but all I had to go by at the time was the Hollywood scripts I had available to me and they used "we see" and "cut to" all over the place so I thought that was standard. But I've definitely learned a lot already so... if there is a next fest, I will most likely take part.

Jj you're script really showed a lot of potential and definitely showcased your writing ability. I had a variety of format and writing foibles in my first scriptfest (including a two page/post from Alex that was very helpful), but everyone's critiques really helped me.

I certainly hope you'll enter the next scriptfest, I'm definitely looking forward to reading your next script.

Now on the subject of BUDGET. I think a writer just writes what comes to him or her, especially for a contest. But now that I've said that...I sure as heck hope that the next idea that comes to me is something on a smaller scale or I'll never get anything produced

Though I do see the difference in the writing process if you know you're going to produce the script that you're writing.
    Last edited by Russell Moore; 08-24-2008 at 09:55 PM. Reason: wanted to make it politically correct
    the writer formerly known as "Conlan Forever"

Need a short script?
    Have an idea? Want to collaborate? Contact me.

screenwriter75@yahoo.com

5. Collapse Details
    I really appreciate the kind words because I was feeling a little disheartened. I was glad for the feedback and suggestions, but I was beginning to feel maybe this wasn't for me.

And I certainly agree with you that, if I were going to write to try to get something produced, I would be sure to keep a budget in mind.

Congratulations on making the top... you definitely deserved it!

6. Collapse Details
    Well budget consideration is a personal choice Id say. Personally I do like to consider it, as I think well Im going to all this trouble to write something, it may as well be something I am capable of shooting if I so desire. But it certainly isnt really relevant from a script writing stand point. I think it depends from which side of the fence you come from; purely writing or production side.
    Last edited by Noel Evans; 08-24-2008 at 11:11 PM.
    w: Noel Evans TV

e: noel@noelevans.tv
    p: +61 (0) 408 455 374

7. Collapse Details
    Unless ...

... you write a short script for a filmmaker that has about $20.00, a few great locations and a few great actors. Then you really need to write with a budget in mind.

You chat with the filmmaker, find out what she or he has avail as far as FX go, and any other connections, like maybe mom is a helicopter pilot, then you write it. In truth, with a good crew and a director with creative problem solving skills, you can make a great film on pocket change.

Another option is writing a short on spec. To make it marketable, fx and costs need to be minimal, and be prepared to trim it down if you get a bite.

If your are writing purely for the creative process, and just want to run with it, forget costs.

Heck, if the story is really good, who knows, somebody with some extra cash just might go for it so they can showcase their own filmmaking skills, and add it to a reel meant to impress - and attract investors.

aw
    Last edited by alex whitmer; 08-24-2008 at 11:44 PM.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234