Thread: Next Fest

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Next Fest
    I'm from Iowa--I only work in outer space
    No, this is not the obligatory "What's the next Fest" post, I'll leave that for somebody else this time. Rather, it's some suggestions.

First off, I don't want to rap Isaac Brody here, because I know what it's like to get busy and not get to something (it only happens to me about once a day ), but I think that the promised formatting guidelines not materializing hurt things a little. I would even take things one step further for next time, and have suggestions for users of various programs on the proper way to export to .pdf and maintain proper formatting (seems pretty automatic with Movie Magic Screenwriter 2000, which is all I have experience with, but it was mentioned that Celtx can be tricky).

Secondly, and closely tied to the first, I was surprised to see that a couple of scripts that were over the page count were allowed to compete--nothing against the scripts in question or their authors, but I've been around the site long enough to know that being over the limit isn't tolerated in the film fests, so I expected it to be grounds for disqualification here as well. (And yet in a way, I'm glad it wasn't, because the scripts in question were good reads and I'm glad I didn't miss out on them. )

Finally, neither of those should be taken as me being anything less than grateful to Isaac, Larry_R, and anybody else on the DVXUser staff who was involved with putting this fest on. These two ScriptFests have been a great experience for me, and I sincerely hope there's a third. (And a fourth, and a fifth, and... oh, you get the idea.) Cheers to all who made this happen, and to all who entered.
    The Plinkett Equation:

TOS16 + TNG5 + DS94 + VOY11 + ENT 8
    __________________________________________________ = History is changing every 23 millionths of a second

F649 + Alp987 + Bet934 + Gam764 + Del837 * 100,000,000,000

2. Collapse Details
    When do we find out who beat me...sorry....won this fest.

For the next fest, (best Michael Cain accent) 'ow about a vote?

3. Collapse Details
    Hey, I'm a big boy I can take the rapping. We'll get a formatting list together for next time.

4. Collapse Details
    Hey, I'm a big boy I can take the rapping. We'll get a formatting list together for next time.

That read like it was typed in a Sam Jackson voice

5. Collapse Details
    The orignal rules page says 'writing guidelines', and I never quite figured out exactly what that meant. Proper formatting with title page required?

I'll toss in my hat and volunteer to help put those guidelines together for the next fest - there will be a next fest?!

Things like ...

*Tiltle page
    *No scene numbers
    *No directing on the page - we this and we that, camera pans down ...
    *Fade In and Fade Out - Several ixnayed this step and bought some space
    *Page limit - enforced
    *Font size - 11.5 can slip by undetected and buy the writer a few coveted lines
    *Font style

Nothing Draconian to take the fun out of it (like the Olympics), just a few basics. If the writer chooses to use 15 lines for action, and use catywumpas slugs, so be it. Style and the writer's voice, not to mention story, are just as important as the beautiful page. But be prepared to get rapped for it!!

Seek balance.

a
    Last edited by alex whitmer; 08-22-2008 at 04:33 PM.

6. Collapse Details
    Great start from Alex and agree. End the scene numbers and direction for starters...

7. Collapse Details
    This is a good start, I'm opening up the forum to get everyone's feedback for formatting.

http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread...82#post1380882

8. Collapse Details
    Actually, another suggestion I just thought of, but one that doesn't relate to guidelines is...

Ending voting at 11AM PST (or indeed any time ) on a Friday may not be the best time. How about 11PM on a Sunday night, to make way for a long (and hopefully alcohol-fueled) weekend of binging and purging--ERRRRRR, reading and voting. Yeah, that's what I meant.
    The Plinkett Equation:

__________________________________________________ = History is changing every 23 millionths of a second

9. Collapse Details
    I put this on the thread about guidelines, but it might belong here...

Quote Originally Posted by jamiejay View Post
    I can't even begin to make suggestions about formatting because I am new to script writing, but, as someone who is new, guidelines for formatting would have been very much appreciated. I'm sure people judged my script based on my formatting errors, but those errors wouldn't have been there if I had something to go on other than just six pages. So I am glad we are going to be more clear about what's expected in the future.

I would also like to say that, based on the comments in nearly every single thread, six pages seems to be too short. I'm not even just saying that for me. If I had to tell a story in six pages, I would find a way to do it no matter what the guidelines, but when the page limit becomes the reason why nearly every script isn't as good as it could have been, that seems easily fixable. Just a thought...

10. Collapse Details
    I think the idea behind the six-page limit was to try and challenge people. (And probably also make the scripts better-suited to the film fests, under the idea that 1 page = 1 minute.) Not saying I want every fest to be six pages, but I wouldn't mind trying again sometime.
    The Plinkett Equation:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast