Page 80 of 118 FirstFirst ... 307076777879808182838490 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by seven.b View Post
    Boomerang, that would be awesome!

Shrigg, so are you uploading DVCPro files? I remember you saying something about using FCP... so I'm just wondering.
    No way! I am just uploading the entire PRIVATE folder straight off the card.
    Transcoded footage would be way too huge too upload.

Darren Shroeger | http://hdmuse.com | Traverse City, Michigan

2. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by shrigg View Post
    No way! I am just uploading the entire PRIVATE folder straight off the card.
    Transcoded footage would be way too huge too upload.
    Yeah, I guess that makes sense. haha.

So what's going to be the best way to convert these files for playing around with in FCP?

Sorry for the dumb questions but the only method I know right now would be log and transfer but you would need the camera to do that.

Thanks.

3. Collapse Details
    I don't understand something. Why would the HMC150 shoot 4:2:0 if it is suppose to be better than HDV? Even the JVC110HD Camera does 4:2:2 via firewire. Is 25 mbits to low to handle 4:2:2?
    MindWarp LLC
    HPX170 with 64GB & 16GB E-Cards

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Carlos Corral View Post
    I don't understand something. Why would the HMC150 shoot 4:2:0 if it is suppose to be better than HDV? Even the JVC110HD Camera does 4:2:2 via firewire. Is 25 mbits to low to handle 4:2:2?
    On JVC's website, it says the GY-HD110U will do live 4:2:2 out its analog component out, not firewire. It can't record 4:2:2 HDV at 25Mbps because it's not possible.

"Live 720/60P analog component output (4:2:2 equivalent)"

In answer to your better than HDV question, it is all about the codec. AVCHD uses h.264 compression which is much newer than HDV's MPEG-2. The macro blocking you see on digital television or HDV is pretty course. AVCHD uses blocks that are 16 times finer. Also HDV uses only three frames to predict inter-frame motion where AVCHD uses 5 frames. It is more advanced all the way around.

For a good look at AVCHD check out Sony's brochure on it. I posted it here a few days go but I don't see why I can't post it again...

5. Collapse Details
    B&H is shipping at least some units...
    ..as mine was, though I did pre order. My last camera I also pre ordered from B&H, an HV20, and I was happy with it as a basic HD camcorder. Stu signed that one pretty much as a joke, so maybe it was an HV20+. lol

The HV20 did get loaned out for a short that showed publicly here in the bay and got into an LA festival recently, but the two projects I directed this year were shot on a ZIU ( PSA for the Niles Silent Film Museum ) and an EX1 ( Everything but the Girl, showing in San Francisco Oct 5th at the Victoria and Fremont Dec 14th at the film museum ). So what I'm saying is I used the HV20 as a handycam myself and not for important projects as manual control really wasn't there even with all the tricks. Great camera, but with the HMC150, it will get get the nod most of the time I think. Wasn't the main operator on either of those since I was directing, though on the PSA I shot a pickup of an audience and several other shots using the HV20 and cut them into the Z1U footage. The EX1 and EX3 are stellar cameras and no doubt higher resolution for sure in 1080P, not knocking the EX at all, I like the way EBTG looks and we shot 720P. I worked on about a dozen other prpjects as the location sound mixer in the past year and got to hook the mixer into various cameras, really allot of great low budget HD cameras out there now days and I'm keeping an eye out on SLRs as down the road could get very interesting. A year of sound and now getting back to Steadicam.

The HMC150 is a likely winner IMHO, especially for Steadicam with a Focus/Iris remote. Still looking for an Obie light as I'm shooting a music video next month. I may shoot Steadiccam and 2nd unit some on other projects with it prior to year end as the HVX200 is popular around here and HMC150 footage probably cuts in well. I'll likely convert it to DVCPRO HD for them and edit native myself.

Regards, Alan
    Last edited by Alan Dunkel; 09-26-2008 at 01:05 AM.

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by shrigg View Post
    On JVC's website, it says the GY-HD110U will do live 4:2:2 out its analog component out, not firewire. It can't record 4:2:2 HDV at 25Mbps because it's not possible.

"Live 720/60P analog component output (4:2:2 equivalent)"

In answer to your better than HDV question, it is all about the codec. AVCHD uses h.264 compression which is much newer than HDV's MPEG-2. The macro blocking you see on digital television or HDV is pretty course. AVCHD uses blocks that are 16 times finer. Also HDV uses only three frames to predict inter-frame motion where AVCHD uses 5 frames. It is more advanced all the way around.

For a good look at AVCHD check out Sony's brochure on it. I posted it here a few days go but I don't see why I can't post it again...

Wow I guess I misunderstood my previous DP. We shot a feature a month back with the JVC110 and Redrock adapter he told me that by filming to a firestore, we were getting the 4:2:2 color ratio. Don't get me wrong, the footage looks great! But if its 4:2:0, then maybe the HMC150 is a great choice for his price.
    MindWarp LLC
    HPX170 with 64GB & 16GB E-Cards

7. Collapse Details
    Boring Senior Member ilauzirika's Avatar
    you can get 4:2:2 from the hmc using hdmi (interesting for greesncreening and all that studio stuff)
    Iņaki Lauzirika
    My Dreamstime profile
    IMDB page
    Panasonic HMC151 #302

8. Collapse Details
    The sales rep in creativevideo told me that they'll have them early next week!!!
    Last edited by ilauzirika; 09-26-2008 at 04:37 AM.
    Iņaki Lauzirika
    My Dreamstime profile
    IMDB page
    Panasonic HMC151 #302

9. Collapse Details
    Footage is now up!

http://hdmuse.com/HMC150_Test_Footage_Sept_25_2008.zip is the PRIVATE folder right off the card (inside another folder then .zipped)
    http://hdmuse.com/HMC150_Test_Footage_Sept_25_2008.rtf is a log of all 32 clips with framerate and duration

Have fun with it everyone!!

-Shrigg
    Last edited by shrigg; 09-26-2008 at 07:42 AM.

10. Collapse Details
    thanks for the footy Darren!!!
    Iņaki Lauzirika
    My Dreamstime profile
    IMDB page
    Panasonic HMC151 #302

Page 80 of 118 FirstFirst ... 307076777879808182838490 ... LastLast