Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456
  1. Collapse Details
    Bronze Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sean90291 View Post
    Please don't do it. Actors already do so much for you by simply showing up to an audition, with very little chance of getting the role (because only one person is cast for the part, and everyone else just showed up out of a passion to continue their art). Do NOT exploit that generosity. As a filmmaker, you're an artist. You should respect the time another artist donates to you by coming to the audition. Charging actors is not something a legitimate film would ever do. In fact it's downright sleazy. If anything, we filmmakers should pay the actors for showing up. I wish I could. I really do.
    I agree. If it was in the budget it would be nice to pay them something for their gas, at least, but unfortunately it's just not possible to set aside that much money usually to pay tons of people.

But making them pay you?! LOL, no way, it's so awesome they're passionate enough to apply for a job where they know they have little chance of landing it, and often for pay that's just so-so.

2. Collapse Details
    Bronze Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Evan S View Post
    I personally charge all my actors upfront 100 dollars to even be in my film.
    That way I make lots of moneies!!
    I actually joked about something like this with my business partner, though. I said, "You know, for all of the kids who come down here every year trying to make it in film school or as actors and actresses, I swear, you could put together a professional production and just charge by position. Grips pay $100/day, DP pays $300/day, director pays $500/day, and so forth, and hey they get to add this great thing to their resume / reel, and really what's the difference between that and film school? Film school you get raped, too, $30,000 a year or more often times, and you don't get as many credits as you'd get just doing this." Seriously, that's real film school, you get a bunch of credits to your reel and we just install some supervisory positions to make sure the projects turn out at least fairly good, so they can compete in some film festivals, win some awards, etc. and everyone pads their resumes for cheaper than film school. People are so desperate to show off their skills and build those resumes and learn, they seem to think it's way different at film school than it would be in my system, but in reality, they're deluding themselves. Both ways are pretty much just charging you for the same thing in different ways.

3. Collapse Details
    As far as auditions, in Canada, at least, ACTRA requires that after the second/third audition you have to pay the actor, and I believe AFTRA has a similar policy. It is a very bad idea to try to tangle with ACTRA/AFTRA.

4. Collapse Details
    Chargins actors to tryout? That'd be pretty harsh.

5. Collapse Details
    funny idea. imagine auditioning for a talent search and be charged only to be ridiculed by simon cowell. that is bloody horrendous

6. Collapse Details
    illegal

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456