Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Charging actors to audition? Is this a common practice?
    I am gearing up for my first independent feature. Recently we have got alot of promotion for our open auditions and we are expecting possibly over 300 people to audition. Some of my producers suggested that do to the magnitude of auditions we would experience that day, that we charge people I guess a fee to audition, to cover the new expenses we are about to experience for the audition. Before you guess its not alot, they're suggesting a price under $10 dollars. I do not agree with this, primarily because I have never heard of anyone do this except for under shady pretenses, so does anyone have any experience or thoughts on people charging for auditions.
    "Life's Too Short To Worry About Paying for It. Tomorrow is a Reincarnation of Yesterday. Relive Your Present. Rebuild Your Presence."

http://www.youtube.com/lemghd

No banners larger than 569 wide or 70 high, please. Also, no animated banners, please.
    http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/announcement.php?f=81

2. Collapse Details
    don't do it.
    DOWN AND DANGEROUS is now on iTunes :: A smuggler bleeds like anyone else. He just gets more chances to prove it.
    THE SABI COMPANY :: FACEBOOK :: TWITTER :: IMDB :: #DADmovie

3. Collapse Details
    Please don't do it. Actors already do so much for you by simply showing up to an audition, with very little chance of getting the role (because only one person is cast for the part, and everyone else just showed up out of a passion to continue their art). Do NOT exploit that generosity. As a filmmaker, you're an artist. You should respect the time another artist donates to you by coming to the audition. Charging actors is not something a legitimate film would ever do. In fact it's downright sleazy. If anything, we filmmakers should pay the actors for showing up. I wish I could. I really do.

4. Collapse Details
    charging to audition is an automatic red flag at least in my book, its like paying to get interviewed for a new job, it just does not happen

5. Collapse Details
    charging is taking advantage, and is just plain wrong. If u have to, do less auditions to save money.
    Spyfest Entry = "Check" ---- Hallowfest Entry = "The Circle" ---- Twilightfest Entry = "Hello Hello"

6. Collapse Details
    yea it's a job interview...you ever paid to go to a job interview..not to mention, no one with ANY talent/experience would show up to your audition and your project would probably suck ass lol

7. Collapse Details
    Ditto to all the above. And it seriously calls into question the experience and/or integrity of your "producers". Actors already "pay" to audition by taking time away from their other activities, paying for transportation to and from, etc. Charging them a fee would be a great way to smack them right in the face for their generosity, and ensure that the best of them will definitely not show up.

So don't do it.

And you should take a long, hard look at your producers. Unless they themselves are making massive contributions, especially in cash, I'd probably fire them and find others who know what the heck they're doing.
    Last edited by Ted Spencer; 08-17-2008 at 07:54 PM.
    "Behind the shelter in the middle of a roundabout
    A pretty nurse is selling poppies from a tray
    And though she feels as if she's in a play
    She is anyway"

From "Penny Lane" by Lennon/McCartney

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Ted Spencer View Post
    And you should take long, hard look at your producers. Unless they themselves are making massive contributions, especially in cash, I'd probably fire them and find others who know what the heck they're doing.
    True that!

9. Collapse Details
    Thank you all for re assuring my initial thoughts. As I said I already believed this because for me its all about perception. To me you look like you're strapped for cash, which we're not, when u charge people an admission basically. Like I said I never heard of this, but morally it seemed wrong, I thought maybe some of my producers knew more than me. But how could they i'm a film director.
    "Life's Too Short To Worry About Paying for It. Tomorrow is a Reincarnation of Yesterday. Relive Your Present. Rebuild Your Presence."

http://www.youtube.com/lemghd

No banners larger than 569 wide or 70 high, please. Also, no animated banners, please.
    http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/announcement.php?f=81

10. Collapse Details
    Nosey Penguin
    No, no, no, no, no. From the one person that gets the role, they would be paying for that but from the other 299 people that's a Goddamn donation! Don't do it. You will push actors away and possibly miss the perfect one.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast