Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    More Cowbell Pictures Michael Anthony Horrigan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Messineo View Post
    Thanks for all the input.

I guess I was really looking for an actor's perspective. If you've taken the time to prepare and show up for an audition and you are dismissed within a few minutes, does that feel rude, or do you appreciate the fact that the director/casting agent isn't wasting any more of your time?
    How dare you ask for an actors opinion in the Acting forum!

I'm actually curious about this as well. Hopefully a few will stop by.

MONSTERFEST : 4th Place - Sustained Excellence Award - WESTFEST: 3rd Place - THRILLFEST: 3rd Place

2. Collapse Details
    With all due respect:

Where is that clipboard? I want to throw it.
    "I reject your reality and substitute my own"
    MKTG Film, Film Marketing 101

3. Collapse Details
    Nosey Penguin
    Alright, here is your poo pooing actor's perspective:

If I walk in the door and read one line and you say "Thank you, we'll let you know" I won't think that's rude, I will think you are doing your job - which you are.

4. Collapse Details
    If you give an actor the time needed to perform the audition without rushing them, that's good enough. Of course, if you're making an adjustment in direction and giving more time because of that, the actor will generally feel like it's a good audition in that you are interested in something that they're doing or if they're able to take direction well.
    Actor / Musician

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by MAH
    Now, if I think the other guy is fantastic... he gets a second reading or callback.
    That's not what you said the first time. And I didnt say you questioned what I do.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris
    I guess I was really looking for an actor's perspective. If you've taken the time to prepare and show up for an audition and you are dismissed within a few minutes, does that feel rude, or do you appreciate the fact that the director/casting agent isn't wasting any more of your time?
    Considering I am a member of the three major actors unions (SAG, AFTRA, AEA) and have been on well over a 1000 auditions for stage, TV, features, commercials, and voice over work, I might be slightly qualified to respond. That said, however, I have never been to an audition for a low/no budget film, student film, or web series, or even a short, so there is a limitation to that experience.

And regarding being dismissed, it is no problem at all. I'm not the one they are looking for. Same as a waitress doesnt get upset if I turn down her offer for ketchup. I'd be more annoyed with someone wasting more of my time than necessary before they say "no".
    Last edited by GageFX; 08-12-2008 at 04:28 PM.

6. Collapse Details
    Wilmywood: "Where the Carolina Moon Meets the Hollywood Stars!" ™ (NC baby)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Messineo View Post
    When we have auditions we normally place a couple of ads online, receive a ridiculous amount of resumes/headshots, and then schedule auditions with a select group of actors.

My question is, how much time do we "owe" an actor in an audition? If you know right away that they are wrong for the part, is it rude to dismiss them after a quick reading of one scene? Is it kinder to actually let them continue to read even if you know you won't be casting them?

Pardon my jumping in but being an actress who has also done casting I feel I might be able to give a good view on this.

1) You don't owe them more time than the script calls for.
    2) If you have tons of people waiting then you can cut anyone off by saying you have limited time.
    3) If they are really bad, tell them you have seen enough and leave it at that, because there is no need to watch a bad actor go on and on.
    4) If you see a spark but it is not clear, ask them if they have time to wait while you view others and ask them to go out and work on the scrip with some 'redirect'.

MAJOR NOTE: Always give some redirect even if they hit the scene perfect. That will help you be certain of 2 major factors.
    1) If they can follow redirection they will listen on set and their great reading was not just a fluke.
    2) If they can follow redirect they will save you time on set where the actor who was a fluke will eat up time and budget while you try like heck to get them back to what they did.

Call Backs are not just for fun...so have one. Many actors will second guess themselves when they get a call back and those are the ones you don't need on set. They also eat up time. You want the actor who comes back a week later and nails it again just like the first time...again this will save time on set.

TIME: When I cast I set up anywhere from 2 minutes to 5 or 10 depending on the size of the scene given.

No lines and short scene 2 minutes tops. Long enough to meet them and see what they do and know if you can work with them.

Several lines and you need 5 minutes.

Lead part...10 minutes at least unless you gave them 10 or more pages to read from. Always give your lead more than one scene to read so you know if they can play the full spectrum of the part.

But you don't owe them anything other than a thank you for their taking the time to come down and read for no pay and take away from their own day.

You at least owe them manners. Hope that helped.
    Sincerely,
    Flora Barren (A Little Mouth to Feed)
    aka Michele Seidman
    imdb / 800Casting / Actors Access / Michele and the Midnight Blues

7. Collapse Details
    [quote=GageFX;1370177]With all due respect, nothing is "owed" anyone. Again, the audition process isn't there to be fair, it is there to cast a role.

You don't? I beg to differ having been on both sides of the casting table.

1) The actor often took off work to be there during the time you dictated.
    2) If you can't read a resume well enough to know an actor should not be called in then you should not do casting. And most of the directors I have worked with don't know how to check the resume to begin with. They see the parts but don't know how to break it down and judge if that talent is right for the job at hand.
    3) If you don't want to take a few minutes with each person you dragged down to your reading have them put something on tape and screen them.
    4) Actors or not toys that you pick up and say cute but I don't want to play with it anymore.

I have been called to audition only to walk in and be told the directors girlfriend got the part I was up for. What kind of business thinks it is fine to drag me out and cause me to lose work I could get paid for to simply say we don't need you after all.

One day I would love to see directors and casting people get treated the way they do some actors and maybe they would at least have manners.

And Gage...forgive me this was not really directed at you but in general. I am lucky that most casting people know me and know I can take the rejection of not being right for a part but when they drag me out for no reason and I could have been doing something else...I hesitate to read for them twice. That in turn cause my next reading for them to not go well anyway.

Bad enough acting is one of the only jobs where we have to interview 1000's of times a year in hopes of booking any work...don't add to it by setting us up for the fall by dragging us out and not having the 'decency' to read us.

Or hire someone to screen for you first. Then you don't have to use up your time for actors not worthy in your eyes.
    Sincerely,
    aka Michele Seidman

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Anthony Horrigan View Post

Now, if I think the other guy is fantastic... he gets a second reading or callback.
    Quote Originally Posted by GageFX View Post
    That's not what you said the first time.

Dude, try not to pick every post apart.
    I said this in my first post...

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Anthony Horrigan View Post

I give everyone the same amount of time during a reading. Of course, if I'm interested in said person they always get some extra time/attention.
    Seems pretty clear to me. Not word for word but it's there.

Anyway, let's move on shall we?

Some actors are starting to chime in.

MONSTERFEST : 4th Place - Sustained Excellence Award - WESTFEST: 3rd Place - THRILLFEST: 3rd Place

9. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Michele Seidman View Post
    Pardon my jumping in but being an actress who has also done casting I feel I might be able to give a good view on this.

1) You don't owe them more time than the script calls for.
    2) If you have tons of people waiting then you can cut anyone off by saying you have limited time.
    3) If they are really bad, tell them you have seen enough and leave it at that, because there is no need to watch a bad actor go on and on.
    4) If you see a spark but it is not clear, ask them if they have time to wait while you view others and ask them to go out and work on the scrip with some 'redirect'.

MAJOR NOTE: Always give some redirect even if they hit the scene perfect. That will help you be certain of 2 major factors.
    1) If they can follow redirection they will listen on set and their great reading was not just a fluke.
    2) If they can follow redirect they will save you time on set where the actor who was a fluke will eat up time and budget while you try like heck to get them back to what they did.

Call Backs are not just for fun...so have one. Many actors will second guess themselves when they get a call back and those are the ones you don't need on set. They also eat up time. You want the actor who comes back a week later and nails it again just like the first time...again this will save time on set.

TIME: When I cast I set up anywhere from 2 minutes to 5 or 10 depending on the size of the scene given.

No lines and short scene 2 minutes tops. Long enough to meet them and see what they do and know if you can work with them.

Several lines and you need 5 minutes.

Lead part...10 minutes at least unless you gave them 10 or more pages to read from. Always give your lead more than one scene to read so you know if they can play the full spectrum of the part.

But you don't owe them anything other than a thank you for their taking the time to come down and read for no pay and take away from their own day.

You at least owe them manners. Hope that helped.
    Great post!
    I may print this one off myself since I'm fairly new to this sort of thing.
    Could make for a useful template.

Cheers,

Mike

10. Collapse Details
    One final note:

Just because you cast the part already does not mean you should not read the others.

I have been able to show directors other actors for other parts because of a good reading even when they were not reading for the part they finally got.

If you don't read the actor you may pass up on someone better because you jumped too soon.

Case in point...one TV movie I did, I drove 3 and a half hours to the audition only to be told the part I was up for got cast. They gave me the courtesy of reading me for another role. After that reading they had me go ahead and read me for the original part they had cast. Turned out I was better for it and the person who they thought they were going to use got the boot and I got the part after all.

If they had not had the manners they would have settled for the wrong person.

So, the next time you think you don't owe them the courtesy of a reading consider you may be booting a great actor who you could use in another part or another film down the line.
    Sincerely,
    aka Michele Seidman

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast