Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Basically let me audition, read what you want the actor auditioning to read, if you like me, and you want me to read more, do, if you don't like me and you're done with me, thank me for auditioning. Hell if you DO like me thank me for auditioning and still call me to let me know your decision. It's a business, it's not personal. If I'm right for a part, then I simply am, if not, then I'm not. Just do what needs be done. Don't be a d**k, but don't be a wussy about it either or I won't respect you.

Also at a first round of auditioning I say you owe every actor the same amount of time. If you want them to read more have them wait in the lobby or wherever, or have callbacks on another day.

2. Collapse Details
    Also at a first round of auditioning I say you owe every actor the same amount of time. If you want them to read more have them wait in the lobby or wherever, or have callbacks on another day.
    With all due respect, nothing is "owed" anyone. Again, the audition process isn't there to be fair, it is there to cast a role.

Thank you for taking your time to come out, but if you are not right, you're going home, and if someone is more right, they may be sticking around longer. Or maybe they are so right that the waiting room is cleared and everyone else gets sent home.
    Last edited by GageFX; 08-12-2008 at 12:24 PM. Reason: changed "is" to "isn't"

3. Collapse Details
    My quick answer: 30 seconds to impress, then 1 min at the callback. Lol.

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by GageFX View Post
    With all due respect, nothing is "owed" anyone.

With all due respect, every fellow person on the planet is owed common courtesy and respect. The notion that "it's business" or "time is money" can override or negate that obligation is a popular belief, especially in America, especially in the film business, but that does not make it true.

You should treat people the way you would want to be treated.

5. Collapse Details
    Nosey Penguin
    With all due respect, yes, people are owed common courtest and respect (does it mean they will get it? no) but they are NOT owed any amount of time at an audition. If the director knows that the person is not going to fit the part or does not have the skills needed, he needs to use his time more wisely to find the person who WILL fit the part.

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Vance View Post
    With all due respect, every fellow person on the planet is owed common courtesy and respect. The notion that "it's business" or "time is money" can override or negate that obligation is a popular belief, especially in America, especially in the film business, but that does not make it true.

You should treat people the way you would want to be treated.
    LOL. I forgot this thread was regarding common courtesy and not about auditions.

Thank you for setting it straight.

And way to take one sentence and remove it from it's context. Then preach on the matter.

7. Collapse Details
    More Cowbell Pictures Michael Anthony Horrigan's Avatar
    With all due respect!

Sorry, I just had to throw that in!

I give everyone the same amount of time during a reading. Of course, if I'm interested in said person they always get some extra time/attention.

I'm not going to waste my time with someone who has zero chance of getting the part.

Cheers,

Mike

MONSTERFEST : 4th Place - Sustained Excellence Award - WESTFEST: 3rd Place - THRILLFEST: 3rd Place

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by MAH
    I give everyone the same amount of time during a reading. Of course, if I'm interested in said person they always get some extra time/attention.

I'm not going to waste my time with someone who has zero chance of getting the part.
    Er?

You give them all the same amount of time, yet some might get more and others might get less?

That is exactly what I do.

9. Collapse Details
    More Cowbell Pictures Michael Anthony Horrigan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GageFX View Post
    Er?

You give them all the same amount of time, yet some might get more and others might get less?

That is exactly what I do.
    Didn't say you didn't, did I?

What I am saying is that everyone gets the same allotted time initially. If one guy gets 2 minutes, so does the next guy. Even if he's terrible!

Now, if I think the other guy is fantastic... he gets a second reading or callback.

Clear enough?

Edit: Just stating what I do. What others do is up to them. Just answering the question posted.

MONSTERFEST : 4th Place - Sustained Excellence Award - WESTFEST: 3rd Place - THRILLFEST: 3rd Place

10. Collapse Details
    Thanks for all the input.

I guess I was really looking for an actor's perspective. If you've taken the time to prepare and show up for an audition and you are dismissed within a few minutes, does that feel rude, or do you appreciate the fact that the director/casting agent isn't wasting any more of your time?

I didn't mean to stir up any controversy, but it seems like the opinions are fairly split on how best to handle this.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast