Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    what should i call my self on my card
    what should i call my self on my card ?videographer sounds crap!

2. Collapse Details
    Cinemotographer, Director of Photography, Camera Operator... or just nothing at all. That way you can do anything you want. Mine is blank as a title right now, as I'm a shooter, editor, producer, graphic designer, etc. I'm thinking about changing it to Cheif Creatologist though...

3. Collapse Details
    Cinematography/Lighting Mod Ryan Patrick O'Hara's Avatar
    If you are deciding between Cinematographer, Videographer, or Director of Photography... Director of Photography will serve you best.

I was once under the impression that a videographer worked in video (has a slight negative subtext), and a cinematographer worked in film. Although since then I've witnessed many times, the cinematographer title used in video productions but NOT vice versa.

Then I was under the impression the difference between a cinematographer and a DP was that a Cinematographer was both DP and Camera Operator... while the Director of Photography has a separate camera operator, making him the director of photography. But then again Roger Deakins does all of his own operating... So that again was a false distinction.

Recently, I was watching an interview with Steven Poster (see it at FilmNut online series with jeff schubert) and he seems to describe a cinematographer as someone who does commercials and little stuff, not big films. (I am paraphrasing)

So it seems they are rather interchangeable but have strong subtexts and differing meanings from person to person.

In summary and my humble opinion, a videographer is for weddings and low budget video productions. A cinematographer is a name with more class, but nothing can beat the respect or clarity of what the 'Director of Photography' title means.

My 2cents.
    Last edited by Ryan Patrick O'Hara; 08-11-2008 at 05:25 PM.

If cinematography wasn't infinite, I'm sure I would have found the end by now.

4. Collapse Details
    My card has my name on it.
    People can call me whatever else they want to....

...and I'm sure they do.

5. Collapse Details
    I have my name and owner/operator under it.

Since my company does a little bit of everything. Basically we are Inverse Paradigm Studios and Visual Effects. But then I started adding other divisions and adding to that company name was a no-go. So I just consolidated to Inverse Paradigm Studios. And my card reflects that I own and operate it. And inherently does most of the work.
    "I reject your reality and substitute my own"
    MKTG Film, Film Marketing 101

6. Collapse Details
    I've been wondering about this for a while. Thought about having a few different cards, but this seems like the best way to go.

7. Collapse Details
    I now have Director of Photography on mine.
    I will change the next one to simply Filmmaker.
    HVX200, 516 head with 515MVB legs, Sachtler Caddy, L-508 Zoom-Master Light meter, Marshall V-R70P-HDA Monitor, RR M2 Lens adapter with MicroX flip and Follow Focus, Redrock Mattebox, 8 Nikkor lens package, ton of lights.

8. Collapse Details
    'Living Art Treasure'

Seriously, Film Maker is probably the simplest cover-all description that will be understood by everyone

9. Collapse Details
    Yes, but if you are doing commercial work - film maker doesnt really have any meaning.

I use a subtext under my company name to promote what we do and then just my name without title.
    w: Noel Evans TV

e: noel@noelevans.tv
    p: +61 (0) 408 455 374

10. Collapse Details
    Mine says director. I changed from "Huge Disappointment" that surprisingly did not do well????

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast