Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Nosey Penguin
    Quote Originally Posted by tasialabastro View Post
    IMO, if you can get the job done, it doesn't matter what your process is.
    I agree. Everyone has their own process and as long as the end product is desirable I don't care how they do it. For me when I read the script I hope that the character will be well defined, that way it is easy to portray that person. If it is more vague, then I take the time to decide how this person would act and then I do so. The thing is, you have to ACT like someone else, but make the audience believe you ARE someone else. And therein lies the debate of whether or not to ACT or BECOME.

Quote Originally Posted by GageFX View Post
    (Mostly because most actors are brainwashed goofballs like Tommy and Penguin. )
    I will accept that.

2. Collapse Details
    All my major characters are well defined and the actors know the complete history of the character as they go in. It takes a very small character in one of my films for me to not know exactly what led them to where they are in the story. Alex is one of those characters. I started to write his story, then I decided I didnt care. It didnt matter. And I also figure that will give that actor some room to bring something of his own creation to the character. 99.9% of the time, however, who the character is and what led them there is integral to the story and the universe it exists in. It's not up to the actor to CREATE who the character is, it's up to them to PORTRAY who the character is.

3. Collapse Details
    It's not up to the actor to CREATE who the character is, it's up to them to PORTRAY who the character is.
    I don't agree with that. The actor has to have creative input in order to bring a character to live. If he or she has no input, then that will manifest itself in the final product. I'm not saying create something from scratch, but he or she still has to have a lot of input to fill in the blanks.
    Actor / Musician

4. Collapse Details
    If there are blanks. The more the actor blindly (for his own artistic amusement) brings to the character, the more he alters the world the screenwriter painstakingly created.

Now, that's not to say that there cant be creative collaboration to change the character after the fact if that is the desire of the director and/or producer, but it shouldnt be the actor's place to assume he is free to do so.

Again, I'm hiring you to ACT, not to WRITE.

5. Collapse Details
    I'm not referring to blind interpretation. Yes, every choice should be made that will accurately reflect the character and be true to that character.

That being said, on an episode of "Inside the Actor's Studio", Johnny Depp talks about how he played Ichabod Crane as a pre-pubescent girl. That was his choice and Burton certainly went along with it or it wouldn't have worked.
    Actor / Musician

6. Collapse Details
    You're also talking about Hollywood's most eccentric directors as well as actors and an extremely gifted actor who, I believe, is often hired for what he can bring to the character. That is certainly not the norm.

Also, Woody Allen is known for barely even directing his actors, letting them do what they do, however it is safe to say that Woody Allen's films are barely watchable, usually only attended by Woody Allen fans. Match Point was marketed as something that looked nothing like a Woody Allen film, but was completely. I think the reason it was marketed that was was because they knew "Woody Allen" might drive more people away than it attracts.

Now, if I have a male character and an actor decides to play it as a 12 yr old girl because that's what he "sees", or whatever, then it either changes or I change actors. Also, I'm sure Burton goes in with very empty characters in order for the gaps to be filled with his LONG TIME collaborators.

Most of my characters are the way they are. No interpretation. I do have one character in my current script who I have not written a history for because I am interested to see what someone can bring to it.

What you are suggesting happens far less than you would think.

7. Collapse Details
    Nosey Penguin
    This is interesting for me since I write and act. When I write, like Gage, I know everything about my characters: where they are from, what they've done, their birthday, social security number and mother's maiden name. Even if it has nothing to do with the story being played out, there is a whole underlying backstory that I create with affairs and things that have made the characters who they are in the story. The actor should take that backstory and portray the character accordingly.

Now, as an actor, I like well defined characters because I know what is desired and what to do. I try not to let "writer Nick" come out in the form of creating my own character backstory, etc, because I don't want to step on toes. That being said, if the director/writer has deliberately left the character a nearly blank canvas in order to give the actor more creative freedom, then THAT is the time you, as an actor, should make decisions regarding the characters past, present or future.

It is up to the actor to determine how the character should be portrayed based on what is given to them. Now, if a lot os given to them they have less control, if little is given to them, they can make a few choices on their own. It all depends on the writer, actor and director, their relationships and personal styles. I don't think any actor should go onto a set thinking they are going to create the character the way they see fit. They should assume they are doing it how the director/writer sees is. If that is not the style of the director, THEN and ONLY THEN should the actor make character choices.

Did I get my point across? I feel jumbled. I just stopped playing Fantastic Contraption and I am a little "everywhere" at the moment.

8. Collapse Details
    I think you summed up my thoughts pretty well. Also, at first meeting with the actors, I tell them this history. In every case it has made them feel much more comfortable working with me because they know that I'm not just going into it haphazardly without knowing what is going on in my own story.

9. Collapse Details
    Nosey Penguin
    I think you summed up my thoughts pretty well. Also, at first meeting with the actors, I tell them this history. In every case it has made them feel much more comfortable working with me because they know that I'm not just going into it haphazardly without knowing what is going on in my own story.
    Are you saying I am incapable of having my own thoughts? That is how I feel about it. I think that would make me more comfortable as well because I would know EXACTLY what you were looking for/expecting. There would be no questions and no problems, and that is how I like it.

10. Collapse Details
    It's all a collaboration in the end. Not everyone is a writer/director... or act what they write or do it all. As a writer if you sell your script or are just the writer, you hope and TRUST the director and actor stay true to your story and characters. And any good and decent actor and director will want to do this... I also trust for them to open my eyes (as a writer) and perhaps bring something new and something I did not expect or see it as writing it; it may be a little different but equally as great or better and still true to the story... everyone has the single purpose of staying "true" to the context, story, characters and doing it all justice and yada yada and just making a darn fine movie.

Long as you are trying to work TOGETHER to attain that means... I think it'll all work out. Of course that does not mean everyone will lock arms and break out into Karaoke throughout the process.

An actor needs SOME room to breathe; to bring your thoughts and yourself into the text, or at very least talk with the writer or director. Remembering your mutual goal. BUT - ONLY IF you have the right to do so...

IT depends on the role too and job. If you come in to be Joe Redshirt and play a US Marine stationed underneath Cheyenne Mountain, with one two word line and get staff blasted in the chest and killed; you're not going to have any justification to burst into a Hamletesque soliloquy as you fall to your knees grabbing your chest, toting a British accent as you whisper "...The rest, is silence." and finally crook.

You're in and out baby, maybe in a scene prior in the background. You have no ground to changes anything (nor granted, any real context to do so) you have a certain role beyond that character... (doubtful the writer made a back story, so maybe you do... but... doesn't change the end result). You're expected to show up ON TIME, do your thing haste free and get out the director may only speak to you once or not at all.

(I don't really know what my point is anymore lol just blathering now... =/

A lot goes into the casting too. Is this actor right for the role? (obviously) but many times I think some actors aren't they may not be bad, may be really good, but they can't be honest with the character. I believe an actor must portray the character honestly. Have moments of truth on screen whatever format that just SING. What does that mean I don't even fully know lol.

Anyways RANT OFF. =)
    "The grass will not grow in the sand... it will only grow in the dirt!"

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast