Thread: Free Actors

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Still Alive Mod Jack Daniel Stanley's Avatar
    I would try to James, though I've never done a project exactly like you've described.

Food can be the difference in a contented crew and actors and a really grumpy crew and actors thinking "we work for this guy for free every week and he makes no effort to do anything for us, why do we do that" and then despite the fact that it might make hours of footage you already shot useless, you may start to lose people.
    JACKDANIELSTANLEY.COM
    FREE AWARD-WINNING MOSTLY-HORROR SHORTS FROM
    DVXUSER, TRIBECA, SLAMDANCE, SXSW, TORONTO AFTER DARK, AND MORE...

2. Collapse Details
    Bronze Member
    a
    Last edited by Prodigi Pictures; 05-27-2009 at 06:47 PM.

3. Collapse Details
    i think it depends on what area you live in too. where i'm at, there are tons of actors willing to act for free in order to get a demo reel or experience, etc. i had about 20 actors on my last film and there was no way i could afford to pay each of them $100 per day. i had a couple of flakes, but they were replaceable anyway.

the original poster's a student, if he's looking for free actors, i doubt he can even pay himself $100 per day, let alone multiple actors.

if i was doing something on a budget that was not out of pocket then it would be a different story though.

4. Collapse Details
    Bronze Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Prodigi Pictures View Post
    I don't understand the desire for free actors. I made that mistake in film school and the result was too few actors showing up to an audition. Paying anything at all completely transforms the audition process. Offer $50.00 a day and you'll have far more choices.

The moment you are serious about making a really good movie you understand that you have to have actors who fit the role perfectly, understand their craft backwards and forwards and are extremely serious about acting as a profession.

Read my thread about A Lonely Place For Dying if you want to see how many actors will audition for a film if you are willing to pay $100.00 a day. I had over 10,000 actors submit for 7 roles in my film. And what we promised is what any student film can promise...$100.00 a day and a copy of the movie.

I don't mean to be harsh. I just hate to see fellow filmmakers sabotage their own movies. The difference between free and inexpensive is vast. I don't want free. I want inexpensive. That small difference is so important.
    I agree. I paid my actors for the first serious film I did in film school, i.e. the first film that didn't have one of my fellow classmates as an actor. I only paid them $100 actually for about a day and a half, but they were still appreciative. That was still not as well handled, though, because while I intended to pay the actors I didn't really mention it in the casting call and it was obvious it was for a student film, so I didn't get many auditions AT ALL. I think 85% of the people flaked totally.

Oh well, joke's on them, I'm doing plenty of work in the coming year and if any of them were any good, they missed a great connection back in the day. But if you are offering pay you get a much better selection, it's really true.

I'm surprised sometimes to see the quality of actors who show up for auditions when you're only paying $100/day, $150/day, etc. It's surprising, very good, talented people.

5. Collapse Details
    I don't understand the desire for free actors.
    I'm going to go out on a limb and say that it might have something to do with alot of people not having the money to pay people for their no-budget films.

Sounds crazy, I know.

6. Collapse Details
    lol.....

7. Collapse Details
    Bronze Member
    a
    Last edited by Prodigi Pictures; 05-27-2009 at 06:46 PM.

8. Collapse Details
    Ok, I started another thread about making money in the cafe, but I pose the same question here. What are good ways to make money to even offer to the actors? Would it sound enticing to an actor if I said x% of profit will be yours from admission or donations at the screening. I guess I am just not sure how to even get off the ground.

9. Collapse Details
    Glib remarks like that sound deep, but the reality is a short film with two characters that is shot in two days only needs $300.00 to pay for actors.
    I'm sorry, where did he say he needed 2 actors for for two days? How much if he needs 3 actors for 8 days? Or, what if you haven't read the script and dont know the requirements?

10. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Prodigi Pictures View Post
    I don't understand the desire for free actors. I made that mistake in film school . . . I don't mean to be harsh. I just hate to see fellow filmmakers sabotage their own movies. The difference between free and inexpensive is vast. I don't want free. I want inexpensive. That small difference is so important.
    Although I agree that actors (and any professional) should be compensated monetarily whenever possible, I can't agree that "free actors" will necessarily sabotage a film. I've worked many times with actors who've worked for free and who've given solid (or at least adequate) performances.

PANASONIC AF100 - SIGMA SD1 still photography -
    AVID Symphony
    editing/grading
    - ADOBE suite
    For Hire - Los Angeles based, World Traveler
    I just saved a bunch of money on my car insurance by canceling it.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast