Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Can One Act Without Perfect Teeth?
    I've been thinking about playing roles in some of my films, but I have some broken front teeth. Is this a deal breaker?

Bad teeth are really distracting on video, right? Unless one is playing a homeless man, Ugly Betty, or a silent character?

2. Collapse Details
    You wont get leading man, but the look can be fine for character parts. I think one of the big tricks to being an actor is knowing "your role". I dont mean an exact typecast PART, but knowing where you fit in. I think all actors would like to be Tom Cruise (minus the spaceships), but when you are Clint Howard, Vincent Schiavelli (look them up) you have to acknowledge that wont happen. And then Danny Trejo is so typecast that he ALWAYS plays the same guy - tattooed Mexican Badguy. Although I think Paul Giamatti is a great case of character turned leading man.

Just be honest with yourself and know how to market yourself. Have your headshots be a composite of a couple different character types as opposed to an attempt to look leading-manish.

3. Collapse Details
    I've been surprised at the less-than-perfect aspects of some leading actors and actresses teeth. Certainly not missing teeth or chipped, but stacked, crowded or otherwise crooked are more common that you'd believe.

Not a perfect example, because it isn't too pronounced, but Kirsten Dunst has some kinda snaggly canines. For the roles she garners, you'd think she would have to be perfect in every aspect.

Will Ferrell has a terribly crowded mouth. His lower teeth look like mine did before I got Invisalign a few years ago. You'd think he would fix it, but the guy does what he does.

Look closely at the biggest actors and I think you'll see more flawed smiles than you'd expect. Course, those crooked teeth are usually five shades whiter than most of us common folk.

e
    Erik Olson

4. Collapse Details
    Not to be argumentative, but just to... uh... give a counterpoint. (ah...F... argue.)

Kirsten is a tad snaggley, but in the Spidermen or Bring it On or Crazy/Beautiful and think "damn that chicks teeth are messed up!" Nah. I've seen the pics on several sites that like to make fun of her, and I have a laugh, but either those pics are doctored or she is Manimal and is turning into a prehistoric tiger over time.

Look at unretouched red carpet photos. There is only slight snaggleness going on there. ALSO... beautiful women have always been able to get away with teeth that have "character". Kirtsen, Jewel, Andy Mc Dowell, Lauren Hutton, and many more.

And... Will Ferell is a COMIC actor - not a "leading man" in it's classic sense. John C Reilly is an example of a CHARACTER actor turning COMIC lead. But he's still not a "leading man".

5. Collapse Details
    Its whats in your heart that makes or breaks you as an actor and if you can express that or not with your talent and technique not your teeth...It does help however if you have a Cleft Chin.

But hey, if this guy can do it so can you;

[IMG]http://regifilmek.freeblog.hu/files/...bobby_peru.jpg[/IMG]

6. Collapse Details
    Still Alive Mod Jack Daniel Stanley's Avatar
    Sure you can
    '

Kidding.

Partricia Arquette has some weird teeth though.

as others have said, know your type.

it could be quite interesting and what sets you apart.
    JACKDANIELSTANLEY.COM
    FREE AWARD-WINNING MOSTLY-HORROR SHORTS FROM
    DVXUSER, TRIBECA, SLAMDANCE, SXSW, TORONTO AFTER DARK, AND MORE...

7. Collapse Details
    Its whats in your heart that makes or breaks you as an actor and if you can express that or not with your talent and technique not your teeth...
    Just keep telling yourself that.

Bobby Peru is a CHARACTER in a WACKED OUT movie played by CHARACTER ACTOR Willem Dafoe.

8. Collapse Details
    What part of my post about Kristin made you think I was calling her hideous? I tempered my observation about her pretty strongly. The authorized wallpapers you'll find of her clearly show exactly what I'm talking about. Which is a slight imperfection. Character. Whatever.

Will Ferrell may not be Clark Gable (do we need to talk about his teeth?), but he is definitely leading in his pictures. He may not be Cruise (thank God) or McConnaughy, but he's in some of the biggest films out there. He isn't a character actor. Clint Howard is a character actor.

These were two quick examples of blockbuster actors with what many would consider to be less-than-perfect smiles. That's all I'm saying.

Really.

e
    Erik Olson

9. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by GageFX View Post
    Just keep telling yourself that.

Bobby Peru is a CHARACTER in a WACKED OUT movie played by CHARACTER ACTOR Willem Dafoe.

and he's wearing a dental appliance in that role.
    JACKDANIELSTANLEY.COM

10. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Erik Olson View Post
    What part of my post about Kristin made you think I was calling her hideous? I tempered my observation about her pretty strongly. The authorized wallpapers you'll find of her clearly show exactly what I'm talking about. Which is a slight imperfection. Character. Whatever.

Will Ferrell may not be Clark Gable (do we need to talk about his teeth?), but he is definitely leading in his pictures. He may not be Cruise (thank God) or McConnaughy, but he's in some of the biggest films out there. He isn't a character actor. Clint Howard is a character actor.

These were two quick examples of blockbuster actors with what many would consider to be less-than-perfect smiles. That's all I'm saying.

Really.

e
    there's a diffrence between "male lead" and "leading man" one is a job description, the other a specific character type

and clark gable had insane ears.
    JACKDANIELSTANLEY.COM

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast