1. Collapse Details
    Film School Questions
    Hi. I'm interested in film school and was looking for info, particularly regarding the Motion Picture Institute of Michigan (but any info regarding film schools is appreciated).

I just completed my undergrad (my major was not film related). I am very interested in a film related career. The Motion Picture Institute seems like a decent option. It's a 1 year program and seems very economical. Does anyone have any personal experience/opinions about this school? Did you go there or know somebody that did? Any all info/tips very much appreciated.

*Also, sorry if this is not the right place to post this topic.

2. Collapse Details
    Why go to film school when you got dvxuser.com? Want exactly do you want to do?

3. Collapse Details
    Bronze Member
    Hey Eastcoaster (and all prospective film students)

Here are my thoughts on Film School. I graduated from NYU's Tisch program and have to say that it was the most amazing educational experience and I wouldn't trade it for anything. What made it so amazing were the industry professionals who are the faculty along with rigorous hands on practice in ALL crafts of filmmaking. I cannot emphasize enough to those who want to be a "filmmaker" to practice ALL crafts. How can you direct actors if you've never learned the actors craft? How can you shoot coverage, if you haven't cut any? How can you call the shots, if you haven't framed your own? My point is that film school offers what online forums and books cannot, and that is a curriculum that offers structure to the learning process to get a thourough education. Don't get me wrong, I learn A LOT online, even some things they don't teach in film school.

Film school also made me find out what I didn't want to do and narrowed down the crafts that I was most interested in. Also, you meet the people and form life long collaborators who specialize in a craft and share your interest. This is another benefit of going to school; working closely with peers - a humbling experience.

A lot of people cannot afford to go to school and some of the most successful filmmakers haven't gone to one. But these successful people who have made a name for themselves worked their butts off and failed far more times than they have succeeded. I often tell people who want to make films, that ask me where to start, to just pick up a camera and start shooting. If you're passionate about something and delve into it, you'll learn and become better with practice, like anything else.

With the advent of tehnology - the internet, dvds with commentary, and digital video, you have all the tools you could ask for at your disposal. This is something that was not available to me and things have changed. With all this at our fingertips, the educational experience is all around us. For me, I learn best in a curriculum which is why I suppose I chose to go to school. I will be paying off loans for years to come, but I feel it was worth it. People often ask me why I didn't just take the money and make a movie, and my answer to that is that it would have been the worst movie ever made.

If you have a specific interest, whether it be writing, cinematography, or editing, perhaps taking a class will help you better make a decision on what's right for you. Don't let anyone tell you film school is a waste of money. It takes humility and courage to get through one.

Hope this helps.

Paul

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Savarese View Post
    Hey Eastcoaster (and all prospective film students)

Here are my thoughts on Film School. I graduated from NYU's Tisch program and have to say that it was the most amazing educational experience and I wouldn't trade it for anything. What made it so amazing were the industry professionals who are the faculty along with rigorous hands on practice in ALL crafts of filmmaking. I cannot emphasize enough to those who want to be a "filmmaker" to practice ALL crafts. How can you direct actors if you've never learned the actors craft? How can you shoot coverage, if you haven't cut any? How can you call the shots, if you haven't framed your own? My point is that film school offers what online forums and books cannot, and that is a curriculum that offers structure to the learning process to get a thourough education. Don't get me wrong, I learn A LOT online, even some things they don't teach in film school.

Film school also made me find out what I didn't want to do and narrowed down the crafts that I was most interested in. Also, you meet the people and form life long collaborators who specialize in a craft and share your interest. This is another benefit of going to school; working closely with peers - a humbling experience.

A lot of people cannot afford to go to school and some of the most successful filmmakers haven't gone to one. But these successful people who have made a name for themselves worked their butts off and failed far more times than they have succeeded. I often tell people who want to make films, that ask me where to start, to just pick up a camera and start shooting. If you're passionate about something and delve into it, you'll learn and become better with practice, like anything else.

With the advent of tehnology - the internet, dvds with commentary, and digital video, you have all the tools you could ask for at your disposal. This is something that was not available to me and things have changed. With all this at our fingertips, the educational experience is all around us. For me, I learn best in a curriculum which is why I suppose I chose to go to school. I will be paying off loans for years to come, but I feel it was worth it. People often ask me why I didn't just take the money and make a movie, and my answer to that is that it would have been the worst movie ever made.

If you have a specific interest, whether it be writing, cinematography, or editing, perhaps taking a class will help you better make a decision on what's right for you. Don't let anyone tell you film school is a waste of money. It takes humility and courage to get through one.

Hope this helps.

Paul

Thanks for that post. I'm hoping to study film production next year and I keep hearing that film school is a waste of time ect, but this makes me feel better about my decision.
    Greasy wheel don't squeak.