View Poll Results: Would you like a forum just for acting?

Voters
74. You may not vote on this poll
  • Definitely!

55 74.32%
  • Sure, why not?

11 14.86%
  • Ehh...

5 6.76%
  • No thanks.

3 4.05%

Thread: Acting forum?

Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Jared Meyer View Post
    I think acting threads fit pretty well in the Directing forum.
    Acting is completely different than directing. I have no interest in directing, but I'll pursue this acting thing till the day I die. True, if a director has done some acting, it might help him be a better director, but that's not always the case.

I think acting related posts in the director's forum are for directors who need help working with actors. That's it. What about us actors who have a question about acting and would like a forum just for that purpose? What about classes? What about auditioning advice? And I'm not talking about someone who's holding the casting session.

If these questions have a place to be addressed, it could very well bring in more people to the dvxuser who are primarily actors who also want to learn about the technical issues involved with filmmaking. Maybe they're an actor who wants to shoot something, but they know zilch about audio or cameras or what-have-you...

Definitely a very small niche among the tech heads and production people on this site.
    And I think that's a problem. I think if dvxuser's expanded their views on acting, which some completely dismiss, then it will obviously make a better finished product. I realize quite a few people around here have zero interest in acting, but it quite obvious if the acting in a short or feature has no focus.

I've acted plenty, and love it, but it doesn't seem like there'd be that much to talk about... ?
    There'd be plenty to discuss. I've been a camera man before on a couple of different shoots and I don't think there's much to talk about. Why? It doesn't interest me running a camera. I don't care about different settings. Your acting experiences might be the same way. Sure, you might enjoy doing it, but for some of us, it's the most incredible experience you could possibly have. I think there's a definite need to discuss it.

And hey, if we can't even get a wedding/events videography sub-forum going...If that's not a video production topic, I don't know what is.
    Well, again, weddings are a technical issue of filmmaking with aspects that easily fit into well defined categories amongst the different forums already in place. Question about white balance at a wedding? Cameras. Question about audio? Audio... etc.
    Actor / Musician

2. Collapse Details
    What about virtual casting? this could be possible within an acting forum that could cater for it with the help of youtube et al. .

Rabbi Zidni 'Ilma {20:114} My Forum: The IT Ninja

3. Collapse Details
    dvxuser.com -- the online community for filmmaking

actors are vital to filmmaking. i vote yes.

4. Collapse Details
    100% Yes.

If anything it would provide usefull & new talent for the DVX - Fests, plus it'd brig more experiance and members to the forum.

5. Collapse Details
    I say yes.

Since all of us tech and us creative people have nothing without actors.
    "I reject your reality and substitute my own"
    MKTG Film, Film Marketing 101

6. Collapse Details
    Nosey Penguin
    ...And hey, if we can't even get a wedding/events videography sub-forum going...If that's not a video production topic, I don't know what is.
    Here is my theory on that. I agree with Tom that you can already discuss the elements of wedding videography in the current sub-forums. Further, if you are going to be specific for weddings, then you would have to open up sub forums for short film videography, feature film videography, school play videography, etc, etc...

It simply does not make sense to have an entire sub-forum dedicated to weddings. But acting is a different story. We have every aspect of film making except that one. I already have a few ideas for threads I would start but I am keeping those to myself until Jason caves in and opens the forum. Let's just hope i don't get yelled at for opening a bunch of threads.

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by ConspiracyPenguin View Post
    Further, if you are going to be specific for weddings, then you would have to open up sub forums for short film videography, feature film videography, school play videography, etc, etc...
    Well the powers that be don't HAVE to do anything. To their infinite credit, the site runs very well without the creation of any of the new subforums that have been proposed over the last few months - Weddings/Events, Production/Art Design, and now Acting. None of these have been created and I doubt they will be. Which is fine. Totally the prerogative of Jarred and the admins here.

As to an acting section, I'm only curious about its place on this forum, which, like I said, has seemed always to be geared towards the content creators and not the talent. Nobody answered my question so I'm still not sure what kind of threads would populate it, or if there are that many actors that would come here to discuss acting technique. It's a far cry from the technical nature of the site. Is the site trying to get away from that? Should it be? I have no idea.

Anyway, it's moot, IMO, to say, well then you'd have to have x, y, and z....So if there's an acting forum does there have to be a Makeup/Hair/Costume forum? Craft services?

I was a proponent of a wedding/event subforum because, while it may not be as glamorous a topic as cinematography or screenwriting, it has ultimate practical application for many video folks here. Many if not all of the shooting, lighting, audio, editing, business elements of weddings and events are quite particular to weddings and events. That said, there's a pretty active W/E section at dvinfo. Not the end of the world if dvxuser doesn't add one.

I do think it would be nice if the creation of the W/E subforum and the Art Design forum, both of which were brought up long before this thread, was addressed first.

My 2 cents.
    Last edited by Jared Meyer; 07-26-2008 at 12:53 PM.

8. Collapse Details
    It's a far cry from the technical nature of the site.
    I agree. There is absolutely nothing technical about acting. It's just a bunch whiny artsy fartsy types that are too self important to realize that the admins dont HAVE to do anything. They dont.

I'm content to not have actors in my films. Maybe you guys should get a real job.

9. Collapse Details
    I think your opinion that there doesnt need to be an acting subforum is duly noted. I dont think it necessary to campaign against one.
    Last edited by GageFX; 07-26-2008 at 01:28 PM.

10. Collapse Details
    Nosey Penguin
    ...I was a proponent of a wedding/event subforum because, while it may not be as glamorous a topic as cinematography or screenwriting, it has ultimate practical application for many video folks here. Many if not all of the shooting, lighting, audio, editing, business elements of weddings and events are quite particular to weddings and events. That said, there's a pretty active W/E section at dvinfo. Not the end of the world if dvxuser doesn't add one...
    It doesn't matter how glamorous a topic is, my point is simply that anything you could possible say about wedding videography could be put into one of the current categories. That being said, I do not shoot weddings, I am an actor and I am a writer, so if there is something I don't know then, by all means, enlighten me.

Gage, just for that remark I will never act in anything for you...EVER.

Just kidding. You doing anything for the fest? I am available. Just cart me down there and throw lines at me.

Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast