Page 6 of 27 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Let's not forget that a HV20 was in the top 8. I like to know what camera was used. But it has nothing to do with how I vote and it shouldn't.

2. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Zim View Post
    Barry is that what you want as the leader? I just to get this nailed down.

The name of the film and production company? Is that good enough?
    XXX Productions

The Unknown Story

then the film starts.
    The leader will be provided by DVXuser. You will tack it to the front of your movie. It will not count against your movie's runtime.

The old countdown at the beginning of a movie is a leader if that helps.
    When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk. (Tuco-The Good, the Bad and the Ugly)

IMDb Green Eyed Monster // Waiting 2 Die:A Veteran Affair

3. Collapse Details
    ok thanks,,,,

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by chstick View Post
    As I have noticed, over the past two DVXfests, that the RED usually gets a little extra push (well....not in the case of PUSH.....but usually).

Or even have camera divisions (yes, like sports). then have the division winners square off. Just a suggestion to help even the playing field (as I cheerfully withdraw my suggestion for PRO and AM divisions).
    Would you have the same PRO and AM divisions based on Actors, too? Or maybe Set Design? Quality of Writing? Composer vs. canned music? Where do you draw a line?

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Blaine View Post
    Would you have the same PRO and AM divisions based on Actors, too? Or maybe Set Design? Quality of Writing? Composer vs. canned music? Where do you draw a line?
    Which is exactly why i withdrew that suggestion.

6. Collapse Details
    Agreed, Blaine. It seems like quite a few filmmakers here are eager to divide up the competition into groups that have similar resources and levels of experience. I think this is hugely counter-productive. Personally, I don't want to make a film that's just "good, considering what he had available."

"Good, considering..." That phrase kills me. Especially when it's a comment on something I've made. I know that when I stop hearing it, I'll have truly made progress.

What we really want are films that are just plain "good," regardless of who made it or how. And that's achieveable with extremely meager resources. One of the most beautiful things about filmmaking as a medium is that it champions determination and creative thinking above all else.

So I say group yourself in with the veterans and the guys who happen to have access to awesome equipment. Because when people look at your films objectively, it shouldn't matter. And you, as a filmmaker, shouldn't settle for being "good, considering." You want to be able to group yourself in with the big guys and be awesome in spite of the fact that you built your film thin air.

7. Collapse Details
    DVXFest Promo Guru Rodney V. Smith's Avatar
    Hear, hear! Full agreement on that excellent point. (saved me some typing and thinking too)

Rodney Smith - Flyin' Monkey Films
    Writer/Director/Cinematographer
    Website | IMDB Link | Web Series
    HVX200, Brevis35+Flip, Glidecam V-8

8. Collapse Details
    Perfect example... Jason Ramsey's Dramafest entry. Tiny budget. Awesome short film.

Sure, using a RED might make it LOOK better, but it's not going to give you a better short.

Another example - Matty G's Dramafest entry about the record store. If he would have shot that on the HVX or even a DVX, it would have been just as good.
    Actor / Musician

9. Collapse Details
    This camera talk is Bullsh*t. Seriously! A camera doesn't make a good movie. Just as simple!

I've got an HVX and guess what, I placed 34th. Push was shot on RED, guess what, it didn't make the top 8. Watchmen was shot on the HV20 and made the top 8.

Stop bitchin guys, if your movie is no good, it's just not good! No camera ain't gonna change that.
    DVXUSER TimeFest!

10. Collapse Details
    The reason for providing the "technical information" with the shorts in these fests is because this is a forum FOR filmmakers. So aside from watching/voting on great short films, we also get to see how different equipment performs in different hands.

You should be able to objectively review a film regardless of whether or not you know which equipment was used.

Page 6 of 27 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast