1. Collapse Details
    "TWISTED" - A ZazaCast Film
    View the trailer here: http://www.vimeo.com/1872647

View the movie here: http://www.vimeo.com/2036632

DVX100b, 24pa, squeeze w/RR M2, 24mm, 50mm, 85mm Nikon glass & Nikon D90

CAST:

Tim Cavanagh as "Herbert"

Mike Manocchi as "Leo"
    Last edited by ZazaCast; 11-13-2008 at 08:32 AM.

2. Collapse Details
    7/25/08
    The script is done! (although there might be a little tweaking here & there...but really...small stuff...honest...)

8/12/08
    Not much to report, as I have been working on the other film for the fest. I'm planning on shooting this one mid-september. Standby for future updates!

9/6/08
    O.K., back to work on this one! Revisited the script and turns out it did need a few tweaks.... I think we're there now. One last little part to fix-up and it will be locked. I'm heading out to scout a few possible locations today, if I see something promising I'll post pictures.

9/8/08
    Script locked! Contacted a local actor I'd like to play one of the parts...awaiting his response. More location scouting this afternoon. I REALLY need to find the right place.

9/13/08
    Looks like I found the right location for this one...old, crappy building out in the middle of nowhere!

Here's the album: http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/album.php?albumid=11

9/23/08
    O.K., after losing one of my cast members (no, he didn't die...just backed out on me!)...and putting a couple ads on Craigslist, I have auditions set for this Thursday night! Looks like a few good prospects for this late in the game. There's a little part that will require a voice over and I just sent the script off to my friend (who's a great voice) to record for me. Props are next & I'm working on the storyboards and shot lists over the next few weeks. Still planning on shooting October 11th & 12th...this one is going to be tight!!

9/25/08
    Excellent! Had final auditions tonight and I have my 2 actors! These guys are really into it and did a great job for a cold read. We'll have at least one rehearsal (2 if I'm lucky) and be ready to shoot Oct. 11-12th. One more piece falls into place!

10/1/08
    Alright, I have most of the props together and we're scheduled to 'dress' the set this weekend. We will also be shooting some establishing shots and other fun things on Sunday (can't give it away here). I created a really cool trailer, but we can't post them, so once the fest ends, I'll stick it up here somewhere for those interested. In the mean time, here's a peak. (remember, this will be a weird one)

10/2/08
    Great rehearsal tonight! It's looking like we'll be able to nail this one. These guys have very limited film experience and have really surprized me. We review not only the dialog, but talked in depth about all the shot I'm going for on this one. This will be an agressive shoot for me and will be the first time I'm shooting with the M2, so I'm sure there will be plenty of challenges.

10/4/08
    Today we got to dress the set, Mike (one of the actors) & I loaded-up the truck and off we went to location. This was an easy day and it looks good. I must say, it wasn't a big deal, but I was glad Mike came along... we could talk and I could explain his character...and start to block shots as we fixed the place up! Shooting tomorrow....lots to get ready yet!

10/5/08
    LONG day... but the shoot went great. The actors really appreciated how organized I was & love to see me with a shot list. I guess both of them had worked on other films in the past and they were just a mess. No one knew what they were suposed to be doing. The extra help I lined up never showed, so once again, it was a solo act...thus the long day. It gets tough when you have to load all the gear, unload all the gear, set-up all the gear, direct & shoot all day, break down all the gear, load all the gear, drive home & unload all the gear again! Damn, days like this really make you feel your age....but once you get to look at the footage...it's all worth it! You have to love this stuff. I took some BTS shots, cause I know everyone loves to see the gear! I'll post a few shortly...and some grabs too. Please standby....

A few quick grabs from day one:

10/15/08
    Second shoot went off with only a few hitches! We got everything we came for & I have to really thank my actors for all the effort they put into this. I was even surprized that they both offered to stay around after the shoot and help break down the gear, load & unload! The help was welcomed after a 10 hour day of non-stop shooting. If you're following the thread, you can read about the "Llama" incident...like the Sheriff incident from the previous day of shooting wasn't enough! This was a very interesting day for me, as it was the first time I really got to play with the 35mm adapter, different lenses & the follow focus. Got some real creative shots too (I think... but you'll have to be the judge there). This is the first film I've ever shot using the M2 35mm adapter on every shot. I also use a little footage for the D90. This is a handy little camera to have around on a shoot. You can get places the 'big rig' can't fit.

Interesting story from day one, as promised...

So, it started off as a beautiful day. The gear was all set-up, light was in our favor and we started shooting according to the shot list. So far so good...but the real fun was about to begin. We reached the point where we needed a shot of the van driving down an isolated road. When scouting, I realized that as a kid we always rode our dirt bikes on the power lines....they went on forever & we never had any trouble…so...it was a no-brainer.

We packed up the van with the actors, the custom made ‘kidnap’ hoods, duct tape, the camera & tripod…and off we went to find the a spot where the power lines crossed the main road. Once we found the spot and made sure no one was watching, a quick turn had us on the old power line. Keep in mind; this is the dirt road that runs under the power lines. Now things have changed since I was a kid and needless to say, nature happens…so as soon as we got out of sight of the main road, we encountered DEEP overgrowth. I don’t mean just some weeds…no, that would be too easy. We hit pricker trees that were all bent over and on the road from resent storms. We had the windows down and the driver figured he could just blast through. As he stepped on it, we hit a patch of trees that just about covered the entire front of the van! Branched came flying into the windows and were ripping at our flesh…remember the prickers? The sound was nasty…branches scraping along both sides, sounding like the worst ‘finger nails on the chalkboard’ you’ve ever heard. Then there were the scream of everyone inside as we all got cut-up…it was nasty & very funny at the same time!

Bloodied all…we reached the spot I picked out for the shot. We got out of the van and everyone was tending to their wounds…pulling prickers out of skin…applying Band-Aids (I couldn’t believe it, but one of the actors always carries Band-Aids in his wallet…I guess for just such occasions!). I was just about to get the tripod out when the bushes all around us started to rustle…we were all like deer in the headlights.

Out of the bushes, from all sides surrounding us appeared 4 Sheriff’s in camouflage, guns drawn telling us to freeze and keep our hands where they can see them! Talk about surprised.

…to be continued.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Continued…

Flashback to before we left for the power line road. In an effort to save time…and we weren’t really going that far, I (genius that I am) decided that it would be best if we left our actors hands duct taped for continuity. I had an idea and thought we could just shoot it quick while we were there…if it worked out, great…if not, won’t hurt the story. We would un-tape their legs and remove the hoods, because that was an easy fix before we would shoot the stuff I had in mind.

Back to the power line road…

Please allow me to draw a mental picture for you all… here stands 4 men, ranging from their mid-30’s to late 40’s, the actors hands are duct taped, one is in shirt & tie, the other has a bowtie on, out in the middle of nowhere…all standing with their hands over their heads, bleeding with band-aids, leaning against the van!

I have to say; from the Sheriff’s point of view this must have looked odd to say the least.
    Shaking in my boots (this really was scary) and being the filmmaker, I would do all the talking. I politely address the officers and was promptly told to shut up. (that didn’t work so well..)

One of the officers began to ask each of us for ID. This was a problem for the actors (I’ll be writing a new book on how to impress new actors with your filmmaking chops soon if anyone’s interested?). They were in costume with hands duct taped …no ID! Finally, I got to speak… but then again, I had ID (remember filmmakers, always carry proper ID). I explained that we were making a short film and these were my actors, the duct tape was part of the story (thank God we took the hoods off!). A little more talking, showing them the camera, replaying some footage and we got things straightened out…I was from the town and they were good guys. (sometimes it pays to be involved in the community) We all had a laugh, once they went through the van and all the gear cases.

Turns out, up here in the northeast, it’s ‘harvest time’….and I’m not talking apples. Marijuana…the killer weed! There just happen to be a big field of it not 30 yards off the power line road from where we stopped. The Sheriff’s were on a stake-out waiting to catch the growers…and here we come in a white van. Talk about being in the wrong place at the wrong time! They released us and reminded me that the power line roads are owned by National Grid and I shouldn’t trespass anymore. What a day…what a story…nothing is stranger than real life.

Jumping back in the van, licking our wounds (both physical AND mental at this point), we turned around and headed back out to the main road. Realizing I still didn’t get the original shot I needed, I talked the driver into stopping once out of sight of the officers. I grabbed the tripod & camera, ran up in front of the van set-up, rolled tape and waved the van by…. That will be the shot you see in my film.

All I can say is what a day….the things we do for art.
    (...and if I ever meet art, I'll give him a piece of my mind!)

All day shoot Saturday...LONG day, but it looks like we got everything. If I didn't, too bad for me, I'll just have to make it work.

This shoot has really been an adventure, like the almost getting arrested by the Sheriff's was enough...and I know this is going to be tough to believe...but we were shooting in a building (garage) out in a field....when suddenly there was a hugh ruckus just outside. I stopped shooting and went to see what was going on. I opened the door & steped out only to be almost knocked over by a bigass Llama!! YES... LLama. It seems the farm next door owns 2 of them and they broke loose. Totally wild! All I could do was stand there and watch as the Llama went running by, chased by a dog, followed by a man on a minibike, followed by 3 young children!! Laughed my ass off.

I just got a rough cut together and will post some grabs & BTS picts tomorrow.
    Thanks for keeping track of the thread.

Thing I've learned on this shoot so far:

1.) You only need two tools at a shoot - WD-40 and Duct Tape...If it doesn't move and should, use the WD-40. If it shouldn't move and it does, use the duct tape.

2.) Remember: Everyone seems normal until you get to know them.

3.) If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

Last edited by ZazaCast; 01-25-2010 at 07:42 PM. Reason: Updates!

3. Collapse Details
    Dark Side of the Camera Postmaster's Avatar
    Nice Poster, the text font and the puppet is a nice reference to the TZ trailer.

Good Luck, Frank
    frankglencairn.wordpress.com
    http://twitter.com/FrankGlencairn

Real men edit their films in a hex editor.

4. Collapse Details
    Welcome to the fest! here we go again
    DVXUSER TimeFest!

5. Collapse Details
    Joystick Member Richard J. Johnson's Avatar
    Why does he a pole stuck up his A$$? : ) cool poster.

Canon 7D+Teddybear T-Finder+Tamron & Canon Glass+lighting+a bunch of other stuff+2 Beautiful Babies.

"Torn" Available now!
    http://www.rsquaredfilms.com/films/torn.html

Vimeo Channel: http://vimeo.com/channels/47561

"RaZoRbLaDe cItY" December 2010. A Maverick Entertainment Release
    http://www.maverickentertainment.cc/...azorblade-city

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by filthrich View Post
    Why does he a pole stuck up his A$$? : ) cool poster.
    Who said it was a he?
    Last edited by ZazaCast; 07-17-2008 at 02:53 PM.

7. Collapse Details
    DVXFest Promo Guru Rodney V. Smith's Avatar
    That looks like it hurts. Poor mannequin. And caught on camera too... such a hard life...

Rodney Smith - Flyin' Monkey Films
    Writer/Director/Cinematographer
    Website | IMDB Link | Web Series
    HVX200, Brevis35+Flip, Glidecam V-8

8. Collapse Details
    Cool poster. I think it needs a baby with tattoos though...

Good luck, puck...
    Actor / Musician

9. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Marshall View Post
    Cool poster. I think it needs a baby with tattoos though...

Good luck, puck...
    Thanks Tom...I'm going to need all the luck I can get. I sure wish you were on the right coast, I think you'd be great in this little flick!

10. Collapse Details
    Poster concept #2:

.... deleted (because it sucked!!!)

Back by an "INSANE" request.... for your viewing displeasure.... I give you the poster concept that sucked:

Last edited by ZazaCast; 08-16-2008 at 08:18 PM.

Page 1 of 25 1234511 ... LastLast