1. Collapse Details
    Fluid feel Jib Crane Head
    Well I finaly finished it (been cold this winter to work in the garage) picture and a video link

Video Here

www.cdvideo.ca

To operate you use it like a tripod lift the arm up and the camera tils down move it left and the camer pans right the faster you move it the faster the camera follows

I still have a few modification to give it drag for a good fluid motion.

DaNc

http://www.cdvideo.ca/wordpress/phot...luid-jib-head/
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by cdvideo; 08-17-2008 at 09:11 AM. Reason: add more pictures spelling

2. Collapse Details
    Looks nice, when I built my remote head I considered using hydraulics, pneumatics, bowden/morse cables, but I couldnt really cope with hoses of oil or air, sealing leaks, and doing all the mechanical connections.

Im glad I made an electronic system in the end...

3. Collapse Details
    Electric system
    Smile
    I have an Camera Turet joy stick controlled head but I find it does not have any feel to it. When you move the joystick the camera folows but it is not a good as a Tripod camera. Try to follow fast action with a joystick head like soccer or hockey, you can not keep up to it. but a head that reacts like a camera on a tripod is a lot quicker and smoother than the electric one.

This head does not make a sound when it moves the electrics have that motor gear noise and if you want to shoot in a quiet area they are noisy.

The reason I built this one is to supplement my other jib and head, now I have the best of both worlds. If I need to do a crane shot where power is a premium I can use the fluid one.

DaNc

4. Collapse Details
    Plans?
    Can we get the plans of your jib, I have been wanting to build a jib and want to find all the best concepts to use in it.

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by toolmodel View Post
    Can we get the plans of your jib, I have been wanting to build a jib and want to find all the best concepts to use in it.
    I an thinking of building it as a pkg with the fluid head Complete jib that is adjustable from 6feet to 20 feet in length and a full fluid control pan and tilt head. No need for power to operate and can be carried in a hatchback

DaNc

6. Collapse Details
    See my jib crane for information on how it is built

DaNc

7. Collapse Details
    Well the weather is getting warmer so I will be modifying the head with a different cylinders and hope to have a smoother feel to the head. Also it can be used on a tripod aand allow the user to be out of the way when filming in dangerous areas like a car rally or race track since it duplicates the motion of the fluid tripod head.

DaNc