1. Collapse Details
    make something shoot out of a box
    I need to do a shot where something "shoots" or "pops" out of a garbage can. I was thinking maybe some compressed air type of thing or a small platform with a timed spring but not sure exactly what.

The object that is shot out would be light like a empty water bottle. Any ideas are appreciated. Thanks!
    Last edited by take2visualmedia; 07-14-2008 at 03:12 PM.

2. Collapse Details
    Hire a midget...or a stripper! (sorry, couldn't resist...LOL!)

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by ZazaCast View Post
    Hire a midget...or a stripper! (sorry, couldn't resist...LOL!)
    Careful Zaza..I'm in upstate NY I can find you!

Anyway I was thinking that this could be done with some kind of toaster like thing (no heat of course) that could be placed at the bottom of the can and pop the bottle up and out. I just can't figure out what that thing could be.

4. Collapse Details
    re:
    Nothing? I know that there is an easy way to do this I just can't figure out the elements to make it happen. I'm thinking a small springboard with a timer or something?

5. Collapse Details
    two separate issues here - a spring mechanism (which might not actually use springs), and a trigger.

For the trigger, hiding a small reliable child (or midget! ) in the can is probably the simplest option - all they have to do is pull the trigger when the director yells 'Action'. That's assuming a zero budget - otherwise drilling holes in a real can (for some sort of remote trigger control wires or tubes or cables) would be better, allowing more room in the can for the spring mechanism.

As for the springy thing, hmm, a real can lid (as opposed to a lightweight prop) will require a reasonable amount of force. Springs probably would be simpler and cheaper, although might be less good if the object must actually 'jump' out of the can as there's more risk the springs would be visible. Compressed air sounds the more professional way, but could be quite expensive unless you have a buddy in the business

6. Collapse Details
    Just to inject creativity into this debate.... consider shooting it in reverse and just tossing the bottle in. You could also try using a wire or fishing line.

7. Collapse Details
    Chapelgrove Films
    A rat trap would shoot the bottle out of the can, but probably wouldn't have enough force to knock the trashcan's lid off, if that's what you need to do.

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by ProfessorU View Post
    Just to inject creativity into this debate.... consider shooting it in reverse and just tossing the bottle in. You could also try using a wire or fishing line.
    yup, quite a few of the Alien scuttling effects were done like this

9. Collapse Details
    Hydrcochloric Acid, Aluminum Foil, and Plastic 2 Litre Bottle. Google IT. JK LOL

10. Collapse Details
    Rowe Cine LLC
    if you can cut during its flight i would think that a decent greenscreen composite would be the easiest. mask it as it flies out of the can for a split sec, and then cut to where it was just thrown into the scene continuing its flight.