1. Collapse Details
    ATTENTION ! HPX TOO Saturated
    Hi There !

We just finished a 30 Min Reportage for a local TV Station in Germany, called NDR, which is airing in Northern Germany. We shot the reportage with our HPX500 in Cinegamma V, because we had hard contrasts and absolutely no light to balance it out. It was from the shoulder all the time. The rest of the Menu was untouched. Everything was fine, until we handed the finished DigiBeta to the Technical Supervisor of the TV Station. By the Way, we shot in 576i, 50Hz.
    The Technical Supervisor said, it was way too saturated. After refusing the Tape 2 Times, we ended up, reducing the color Sturation about 40%. This is really a lot. I must admit, the picture really was very colored, but i would never reduce the Colors for no reason.

Has anyone had similar Problems?

So watch out, if you're shoting for TV. Obviously, the Trend goes back to B&W.

Cheers,

Olaf

2. Collapse Details
    this isnt really a problem - its a lack of testing - if you have specific project requirements you need to test the camera with a waveform and vectorscope to see the settings you should use - this easily could have been fixed in camera by dialing down saturation.
    SLM Production Group
    http://www.slmproduction.com - HPX500 available

3. Collapse Details
    If the rest of the menu settings were as flat as you say, then there is no reason for the camera to record an illegally oversaturated signal. I'd be curious about what your post procedure was.
    Matt Gottshalk - Director/ Dp/ and Emmy Award Winning Editor
    Producer, Digital Creative for the United States Postal Service

4. Collapse Details
    illegally oversaturated for what? THe camera is not just used for tv distribution - there is nothing illegal about it as a video signal, lets say for example, for web distro, or for film-out.

I didnt say the menu settings are flat - but zeroes are set an an arbitrary position. You needed to test the camera to see what settings are good and legal for the project specific to you. Now you know to reduce saturation.
    SLM Production Group

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by smelni View Post
    illegally oversaturated for what? THe camera is not just used for tv distribution - there is nothing illegal about it as a video signal, lets say for example, for web distro, or for film-out.

I didnt say the menu settings are flat - but zeroes are set an an arbitrary position. You needed to test the camera to see what settings are good and legal for the project specific to you. Now you know to reduce saturation.
    For broadcast. And I agree testing the camera beforehand on scopes is the only way to verify ANYTHING with a new camera.

I wasn't talking to you, I was commenting on the OP's post. Jeez.
    Matt Gottshalk - Director/ Dp/ and Emmy Award Winning Editor
    Producer, Digital Creative for the United States Postal Service

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by mcgeedigital View Post

I wasn't talking to you, I was commenting on the OP's post. Jeez.

Sorry my bad - i thought you were the original poster - i agree with you. Jeez is right - i deserve that
    SLM Production Group

7. Collapse Details
    Olaf, as per Smelni first thing I did with the HPX was test the output. I agree its very saturated, mine rarely goes past -3 on chroma level, this also cuts any noise to almost 0. Barry Green also noted this in an article (re: noise) when the camera was first released - cant remember where that article is now.
    w: Noel Evans TV

e: noel@noelevans.tv
    p: +61 (0) 408 455 374