Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    From the Future: A Musical
    So this is my first time entering a DVXUser Fest. I decided to make a musical because I figured not many people would make one and it'd be challenging. Thus, I present...

FROM THE FUTURE: A MUSICAL

Logline: When Laura receives a surprise visit from her "future self," she must reevaluate her love life.

We recorded the song this past Wednesday, started shooting this past Thursday, and finished editing today (Sunday). Not a lot of time, but a whole lot of fun :-). I hope you all get a chance to see it.

-Brad
    Last edited by bmwergs; 06-15-2008 at 09:41 PM.

2. Collapse Details
    You finished a MUSICAL in that short amount of time?

Geez... and i thought I was a hard worker. Congrats and I really want to see this. To my knowledge you'll be the first musical in ANY dvxuser fest.
    I invented the "remove echo" audio filter. And only people that boom their actors closely get to use it.

Alex Donkle - Sound Designer -

3. Collapse Details
    DVXFest Promo Guru Rodney V. Smith's Avatar
    a MUSICAL?? Sweetness! Now this I gotta see.

Rodney Smith - Flyin' Monkey Films
    Writer/Director/Cinematographer
    Website | IMDB Link | Web Series
    HVX200, Brevis35+Flip, Glidecam V-8

4. Collapse Details
    Sounds great! Welcome to the Fest!

5. Collapse Details
    Fricking AWESOME!!!!

I'm not sure what other people are going to think, but this hit my sense of humor on the nose. I was dying laughing and it's one of my favorite, if not my most favorite short I've ever seen. Some really great lines in there and a lot of creativity.

My only minor complaints though, it would've benefited from a good steadicam op. And the lighting was rather inconsistent. But, as i said, i love this short and it easily gets a 10 from me (and so far i haven't seen anything else above a 7)

PS - If your song writer is ever looking to write another short film musical, I've been looking at doing on down the road but haven't found someone up to write the music/lyrics yet.
    I invented the "remove echo" audio filter. And only people that boom their actors closely get to use it.

Alex Donkle - Sound Designer -

6. Collapse Details
    That was actually really funny.

Good work.

Visually there are some things that could be changed but it's entertaining and that's all that matters.
    "You'd better cure all those personal problems that might be holding back something you want to say." -John Cassavetes

7. Collapse Details
    Thanks guys! Yeah we had to rush to film the end because a storm was coming that forced us to end our last day of shooting half an hour early. So in our frenzy we messed up the aperture settings for some shots towards the end. You can see the last shot was literally right before the storm hit - dark clouds and lots of wind hehe.

8. Collapse Details
    Alright, holding on roll to say: I come from Ithaca - where musical theatre is huge. I can't wait.

And rolling...

First note: Compression seems to be a bit iffy. Would like to see a better compressed version.

Though, I would ask, why am I a guy in the future and not my female self?

Haha, what is up with the mellon? Haha.

Interesting music. He can sing and that is surprising. Haha, I must admit when I saw musical I was wary. But they can sing. If only real life was a musical eh?

So how did you pull the playback on set? I am interested in finding that out.

And it looked like you lost some saturation in the latter half of the film.

Very creative take on it. And that is an interesting position for him to end in. Kinda planted his face in her chest...haha.

I liked it. Nice film.
    "I reject your reality and substitute my own"
    MKTG Film, Film Marketing 101

9. Collapse Details
    HEHE. A refreshing change of pace from the dramas in this contest! Really cute and funny. One technical issue, starting around 2:38 you can see the edge of the lense adapter on the left side. You could fix this with negligible quality loss by increasing the scale to 102% or so and shifting the image left. Especially for the "small screen" you wouldn't really notice and it would be less distracting.

I personally wasn't that crazy about the vignetting and would like to see it color corrected a bit more to match shots to each other and to bump the brightness/contrast on the last sequence. It seems like it should be brighter after 3:51 to at least match what came before.

All of that being said I think it was a good first attempt at a musical and you should make more to refine your approach. Great song!

10. Collapse Details
    More Cowbell Pictures Michael Anthony Horrigan's Avatar
    Yes, pretty entertaining. The song was actually pretty funny and it was nice to see something different.
    Some technical issues but those were already mentioned.

Very creative!

Cheers,

Mike

MONSTERFEST : 4th Place - Sustained Excellence Award - WESTFEST: 3rd Place - THRILLFEST: 3rd Place

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast