Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Diy Hvx Raincover
    Lightbulb
    I have made nothing new here, but I thought some would benefit from the cheapo HVX raincover Matt Sconce and I made for the SLEEPER film shoot. We needed a sturdy raincover to stop what amounted to a rainstorm, + firehosed water shot into the set. The cover worked extremely well, handheld and on tripod for nearly 9 hours with nary a drip into the camera. Just a good, dumb old raincoat for a camera.

Materials:
    >Good quality rubberized nylon raincoat, (green)
    >Source for clear thick polypropolene type plastic (We found a quilt bag that had carried a new quilt for a queen size bed)
    Shoe Goo
    An old wet suit material mouse pad
    Industrial strength velcro (from True Value... Amazing stuff!)

Tools:
    Scissors
    Popsicle stick to apply goo
    Tape measure
    Sharpie black pen

1 - Take rain coat and slide HVX (or DVX) down arm until the lens cover seems to start to get tight in the arm. Back off camera up arm 1 inch and mark with sharpie inside where the bottom of the lens is.

2 - Cut off front of arm end as shown in the diagrams

3 - Cut mouse pad as shown in diagram. Don't forget to cut out the notch where the pad intersects the front of the HVX on the speaker area.

4 - Shoe goo in pad as shown. (When shoe gooing, realize that the goo needs time to set up to get totally hard so be patient on this part. 24 hours is good.)

5 - Cut off back of raincoat as shown in diagram measurements.

6 - Cut out rectangle hole where controls of camera and monitor are.

7 - Cut out corner of clear plastic scrounged from whatever. Shoe goo clear plastic onto raincoat around rectangular cut hole. An alternative is to first shoe goo the clear plastic, let it dry, and THEN cut out the rectangular hole.

8 - Put on industrial strength velcro to pull down the shoulder material. Under no circumstances will you cut this back here as it must remain sealed to the entrance of water all the way down the back. Velcro the bottom back. Match cut a tiny hole in the bottom to fit to your tripod mount if mounting on something.

9 - Let all dry, add goo as necessary, check for leaks with a top water shower. This coat is NOT meant to stop water from below the camera... it is a raincoat, not a waterproof housing.

10 - Use with your HVX or DVX. Always be careful... you know what you paid for these cameras!

Pics:

Side View, Front View, Top View pics:

Aftershock Studios
    www.aftershockstudios.com
    "Telling stories that make people stand up and cheer."

2. Collapse Details
    Wow. Nice. Good work!
    "I'm releasing a new camera, its called the GREEN Purple. It will shoot 18k and record to GREEN RAY, 4:4:4, for under 5 bucks."

UPDATE: "Our estimates of an 18k camera was off, it's now a 28k camera. You can see the threads on your actors shirts, the pores in their skin, and the individual pieces of hair. You can trade in your 18k model for the 28k camera in 2015 when it ships. Release date subject to change, all details subject to change, in fact, count on it."

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by EDIT-XTREEM View Post
    Wow. Nice. Good work!
    Thanks! Simple, simple, simple. But...WORKS! And sure saves money that can be used for other things.
    Aftershock Studios

4. Collapse Details
    You should start to mass produce these and sell them.
    "I'm releasing a new camera, its called the GREEN Purple. It will shoot 18k and record to GREEN RAY, 4:4:4, for under 5 bucks."

UPDATE: "Our estimates of an 18k camera was off, it's now a 28k camera. You can see the threads on your actors shirts, the pores in their skin, and the individual pieces of hair. You can trade in your 18k model for the 28k camera in 2015 when it ships. Release date subject to change, all details subject to change, in fact, count on it."

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by EDIT-XTREEM View Post
    You should start to mass produce these and sell them.
    Ha! ... Along with making Hypercam heavy duty camera stabilizers for Red cameras, Hyper-Fly wire fly rigs, Hyperglide static fly rigs, Hypercrane three axis camera jibs, Hypershoulder counterweight camera mounts, Hyperpod tripods, Hyperdollies... Naw. No time for all that. You can sell 'em if you want. I'm just too hyper... (LOL!)
    Aftershock Studios

6. Collapse Details
    how about some images with the hvx in it

7. Collapse Details
    If you could sow down some pull string at the lens part it would be perfect
    w: Noel Evans TV

e: noel@noelevans.tv
    p: +61 (0) 408 455 374

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Miller View Post
    how about some images with the hvx in it
    I would love to do that but the HVX is in Fresno... 50 miles south of me where Matt Sconce is at this moment fighting final post production battles on PUSH. I am way up in the mountains on Yosemite's south border. (It is sooo pretty here! ) I will try to fit it into the cover next time I am there and will post pics then. It looks wrinkled now, but it fits tight and perfect with looseness over the control areas where it needs to be. The mousepad extends the front out and is tight over the lens cowl, so no string is necessary.
    Aftershock Studios

9. Collapse Details
    Hi Gary, do you still have the plans for your raincover? It seems that your pics aren't showing anymore. I would really like to make one for my dvx.

10. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by gondez View Post
    Hi Gary, do you still have the plans for your raincover? It seems that your pics aren't showing anymore. I would really like to make one for my dvx.
    I visited my photobucket account and they renewed the pics. They are dumb.

We used this recently in Troy Ruff's monsterfest entry 'Mercy' in the final crane shot. We were shooting the camera from behind with water and none got in!
    Aftershock Studios

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast