Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    what is wrong with the sachtler DV 6 SB head?
    I tried the Sachtler DV 6 SB head. I did a rather fast pan and when I finished the pan I let go of the handle and the head swung slightly back, because of the fluid I guess (using 3, 4 or 5 fluid pan setting).

Is this normal?

The problem is: when I use the 2 or 1 pan fluid setting, the pan canīt be controlled as well, I feel the panning speed is not as steady as panning with a higher setting.

I cant remember having had that effect on the bigger sachtler heads with heavier cameras. Is this only happening with the DV6? Should I better get a DV8, or does it also swing back?

The 503 Manfrotto head doesnīt have the good Sachtler fluid feeling panning, but at least when I finish the pan it doesnīt swing back.

Also: I intend to put the DV 6SB on a Manfrotto 525 tripod. Is that a good idea?

2. Collapse Details
    It's called backlash. Not sure you should be getting that at any setting.
    Curious why you are not getting a smooth pan at the lower settings. That head is supposed to be very good.

3. Collapse Details
    How much gear did you have on the head?
    Jim

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by daktulus View Post
    The 503 Manfrotto head doesnīt have the good Sachtler fluid feeling panning, but at least when I finish the pan it doesnīt swing back.

Eeks. First off I beg to differ. I use a 503 and it certainly does have some backlash. I've been strongly considering the very head you speak of as an upgrade. Maybe I'll rethink it though as it sounds like your 503 experience was better than your DV6SB has been. If it's even close I don't even wanna think about upgrading.

One thing I never did understand fully since there was no tripod manual (and no I'm not "mentally challenged" I just advocate for them on the internet) with the 503 head is, you have the tension knobs and then the L shaped lugs as well. Are the L lugs just to quickly lock those respective axis or are they to be used to add tension for shooting? I tried using the horizontal lug to tension my horizontal pans before and it added so much nasty springy backlash I quickly decided that this was probably not it's intented purpose and might even be damaging. But even with the lugs "loose" as in "freely loose" there's a little backlash. I shoot riders and horses at max zoom, filling the frame (read as :most sensitive to tripod/shooter error) on the DVX and for "Western" events they often move at a crawl so I need a decent amount of tension to keep the pan steady. The 503 has been what I'd characterize as decent, but at some point I'd like to step it up. Thanks for the post, it's right on the money (as far as my own curiosity) and I hope you get some informed responses.
    Eric Piercey - Hindsight Productions Ltd.
    DVX100B/Apple workflow (FCS2 MacPro etc)

5. Collapse Details
    I had the pure HVX200 with P2 cards on the 503 and the DV 6SB. I like the heavy fluid resistance on the Sachtler 6SB better, but the backlash is enervating, it is hard to finish a pan without backlash.

Am I doing something wrong?

If I always have to fight the backlash the 503 is easier to handle, though the fluid resistance is not strong enough.

I canīt test the DV 8 SB, because the dealer doesnt have one. Is the 8 SB a significant improvemnet over the DV6 ?

6. Collapse Details
    I have an 8sb as my backup tripod. It's a great head/system. Beefier than the 6.
    Jim

7. Collapse Details
    what exactly does beefier mean? Do you also have a backlash with the 8sb?

8. Collapse Details
    I have a dv6sb and I have no backlash whatsoever.... Do you have the carbon fiber legs that might give you some flex?

9. Collapse Details
    I tested the dv6sb with the HVX and the sachtler original carbon fiber legs, but clearly the head moved back when I finished the pan.

Is there something that can be adjusted on the sachtler head , maybe some kind of spring?
    I checked and everything was loose. Try to do a fast pan in position 4 or 5, do you get a backlash?

10. Collapse Details
    just tried it (without a camera since I don't have one at the moment). No backlash at all....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast