Thread: Aj-hpm110

1. Collapse Details
    Aj-hpm110
    Has anyone tryed the AJ-HPM110 or the previous model AJ-HPM100?
    Currently I use a mirrored harddrive and computer to transfer P2 cards but thinking of upgrading to the AJ-HPM110.
    Any advice would be great.
    Thanks.

2. Collapse Details
    Do you need to edit on the fly?
    w: Noel Evans TV

e: noel@noelevans.tv
    p: +61 (0) 408 455 374

3. Collapse Details
    Panasonic just dropped one off for me to demo yesterday. I think it is basically designed for news cutting in the field. It's just like going back to laptop tape to tape news editing - very similar concept with shuttle/job wheel and in and out points etc. You load your P2 cards you have just shot and essentially make a cut to cut edit. The machine makes a kind of shotlist/playlist, which you save and that becomes your final edit. It would be useful for in the field breaking news when you are up against it with a reporter breathing down your neck and running to the feed point. It has a +48 audio input in the back for voice overs/track - and you can attach an external mixer to it . But you can't do anything other than cut to cut editing. No dissolves or anything like that. It is also useful in that you can grab it and use it as a play-out machine for your piece. If time is of the essence and you don't have the time to download your pictures into a non-linear edit system, then it is extremely useful. It is a portable edit pack - but instead of tapes, you use P2 cards.
    However, if you are looking for something to simply download your cards and input them into a non-linear system then I'm not sure this is what you are looking for. It has no hard drive for storage: you have to use your P2 cards for that. For that I use the AJ-PCS060 to download my P2 cards (it takes 60 GB) and transfer that to my Macbook Pro straight into FCP. I have a LaCie 500GB rugged external hard drive attached for extra space.
    Hope that helps.
    Tim

4. Collapse Details
    DVXuser Sponsor
    I did a lot of research on the p2 mobile hpm-110, aside from field editing, it is also useful for other matters. Example would be to encode and record any form of camera via firewire or hd-sdi with DVCPro HD, or AVC-Intra. (don't quote me on this, I haven't used one yet, just research)

Therefore, you can record 4:2:2 AVC-Intra on a connected EX1 or EX3, giving it 100mbps+4:2:2, and keep the 1920x1080 way better than the EX30 deck's compressor.

This other feature seems to be very useful. *Playback output*, you can output HD-SDI, also 4 outputs for composite, and also L+R Audio (plug into speakers) and, not sure if HDMI is included. If more composites are needed, a splitter from radioshack will do the trick.

I believe it's a standard rate of $300/day to rent.
    --
    Willis Chung
    Marketing Manager

DJI Technology, LLC
    Los Angeles, CA 90038
    www.dji.com

5. Collapse Details
    Absolutely you can record from any other format - I've just recorded footage from a colleague using it. He brought his camera in - put SDI in and it recorded just fine. He's using Sony XD cam. Also tried it from composite from an SX laptop. Looks pretty flexible that way.

6. Collapse Details
    DVXuser Sponsor
    Also another feature i want to add is that it can export p2 files to connected external hard drive, so you can just log/transfer the files directly through that hard drive, probably want to back those files up though.

In conclusion, it's a bigger and badder version of a p2gear.
    --
    Willis Chung
    Marketing Manager

DJI Technology, LLC
    Los Angeles, CA 90038
    www.dji.com

7. Collapse Details
    So this thing would be good if you want to dump cards in a hurry?
    Like say at a live event (and you have a hafddrive connected)?

8. Collapse Details
    DVXuser Sponsor
    if dumping cards is what you want, it's better to go P2-Store, or a P2-Gear. P2-Mobile is capable of much more than just dumping. However, P2-Gear can also dump the files the same way the P2-Mobile can.
    --
    Willis Chung
    Marketing Manager

DJI Technology, LLC
    Los Angeles, CA 90038
    www.dji.com

9. Collapse Details
    If you want to record from any source over HD-SDI you could also use a P2 Portable. The P2 Mobile can intake a 23.98 source and record it, the P2 Portable can only rcord 24 over 60 and the flags for removal of the extra frames later.

All of these devices can be used to host a drive for offload.

Best,

Jan
    Jan Crittenden Livingston
    Panasonic System Communications Corporation
    Partner Sales Manager, NY and NJ