Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by ConspiracyPenguin View Post
    You could really make a cool film base around making a film. Hmmm...
    Been done ...

http://www.film101themovie.com/crew.htm

Maybe not in a fest, but ...

Have a peek at the synopsis.

Alex

www.alexwhitmer.wordpress.com

2. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by ConspiracyPenguin View Post
    You know what would be cool? Either for this, the film fest or both. A fest where the theme is filmmaking. Your script/film has to be about filmmaking.
    Sounds a little bit student filmish to me. I feel like scripts/films about films are a little too niche. Sure if you make films you get it, but it often becomes more about being clever than creating an emotional piece that takes an audience on an emotional journey.

3. Collapse Details
    Nosey Penguin
    Quote Originally Posted by alex whitmer View Post
    Been done ...

http://www.film101themovie.com/crew.htm

Maybe not in a fest, but ...

Have a peek at the synopsis.

Alex

www.alexwhitmer.wordpress.com
    Similar to what I was thinking, but that is more along the lines of an instructional piece while at the same time a film with an actual story. Close, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Isaac_Brody View Post
    Sounds a little bit student filmish to me. I feel like scripts/films about films are a little too niche. Sure if you make films you get it, but it often becomes more about being clever than creating an emotional piece that takes an audience on an emotional journey.
    This is definitly a possibility, but I think it all depends on the writer. For example, you could take that theme and turn it into a total "inside film" in that most of the referneces would only be understandable to people like us. On the other hand someone like me would take that theme and write a totally complete story (protagonist/antagonist, plot line, deeper meaning, etc...) around the career of filmmaking.

For example, I might write a romantic comedy about a director falling in love with the lead actress on a film he is doing or I might write a horror story where a psych-ward escapee finds a job as a light technition and starts to kill off the cast and crew of the film. This is what I was thinking, an actual story simply based around filmmaking, still giving you that "emotional piece that takes an audience on an emotional journey."

I don't know. I see your point, but I think if it was done right it could be good. It could also turn out quite a large variety of entries. I say as long as each writer/filmmaker puts most of his/her focus on creating a good story and less on making a cliche filmmaking film it would be great. Just me weighing in on the issue.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123