Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 41
  1. Collapse Details
    #11
    Member aegriffin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Grand Rapids, MI
    Posts
    45
    Default
    Mr. Horrigan!

    This was a fun little read. It's chock full of narrtive though but it's really good and easy to read narritive. Very visual.

    I agree with Mobie540's suggestion that you should consider skipping past the first scene with the alien and just jump right to Michael's discovery of the crash. It may be an intersting take just to start with Michael investigating the crash in the woods and let us discover with him what is happening and what he is seeing

    Cut right to the chase as it were. ;)

    Also consider dropping the "continues" from the script. They are no longer necessary and in Final Draft that option can be turned off.

    Keep up the "stellar" work, sir. (Sorry, couldn't help myself.)


    Reply With Quote
     

  2. Collapse Details
    #12
    More Cowbell Pictures Michael Anthony Horrigan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Ottawa
    Posts
    8,997
    Default
    Thanks. It's definitely a creative choice. I chose to reveal the Alien to the audience before Michael actually sees it. I wanted them to know what was coming to a certain degree, and what shape it was in.

    I can see it working the other way though. It would definitely cause a little more suspense I'm sure. That's what I love about the editing process. I have yet to have a short movie play out exactly as scripted. I always make changes during post. Maybe your suggestion would be one of those changes.

    Thanks for reading! Glad you liked it.

    Mike


    MONSTERFEST : 4th Place - Sustained Excellence Award - WESTFEST: 3rd Place - THRILLFEST: 3rd Place


    Reply With Quote
     

  3. Collapse Details
    #13
    More Cowbell Pictures Michael Anthony Horrigan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Ottawa
    Posts
    8,997
    Default
    Quote Originally Posted by aegriffin View Post

    Also consider dropping the "continues" from the script. They are no longer necessary and in Final Draft that option can be turned off.

    Keep up the "stellar" work, sir. (Sorry, couldn't help myself.)
    PS- I'm not sure if I can turn this off in Celtx. It also seems that only some pages have it?

    Thanks again.

    Mike


    MONSTERFEST : 4th Place - Sustained Excellence Award - WESTFEST: 3rd Place - THRILLFEST: 3rd Place


    Reply With Quote
     

  4. Collapse Details
    #14
    Senior Member STYLZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Las Vegas, Nv
    Posts
    614
    Default
    Well..all the detail put into the chase part seemed to slow the pacing down just a little bit. But once I got to the part where the Alien started talking telepathically to Prime, it seemed to make up for it. Gave me that wow factor. Well told story. Good ole American epic superhero movie. No real constructive criticism to give. Good job.


    Reply With Quote
     

  5. Collapse Details
    #15
    Pain in the ass Mark Harris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    BKLYN
    Posts
    7,133
    Default
    There was a comic like this in the 80s. I used to love it, but it was only around for a while.

    I guess if I had any criticism, it would be that the script read a little like direction. What I mean is, that whole chase section is more blocking to me, and not really script stuff. Not really content. It was definitely fun, but nothing specific to the story really happened in that whole section, and I think you could have just as easily written: "The Alien chases him through the forest," and then let the director block the chase.

    Or have some actual story stuff happen in there during the chase. Like give us some more specific examples of why THIS kid gets it. I know the running and reflexes and all, but that stuff didn't hit me as quite specific enough.

    Or, like for the Alien, maybe have that chase be a test. And the kid's reactions to the chase will determine whether or not the Alien really think he is worthy.

    Just an idea, but I think that chase needs some more content.

    I always love your stuff!


    Reply With Quote
     

  6. Collapse Details
    #16
    More Cowbell Pictures Michael Anthony Horrigan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Ottawa
    Posts
    8,997
    Default
    Quote Originally Posted by STYLZ View Post
    Well..all the detail put into the chase part seemed to slow the pacing down just a little bit. But once I got to the part where the Alien started talking telepathically to Prime, it seemed to make up for it. Gave me that wow factor. Well told story. Good ole American epic superhero movie. No real constructive criticism to give. Good job.
    Wow. Thanks, man.

    Glad you liked it.


    MONSTERFEST : 4th Place - Sustained Excellence Award - WESTFEST: 3rd Place - THRILLFEST: 3rd Place


    Reply With Quote
     

  7. Collapse Details
    #17
    More Cowbell Pictures Michael Anthony Horrigan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Ottawa
    Posts
    8,997
    Default
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Harris View Post
    There was a comic like this in the 80s. I used to love it, but it was only around for a while.

    I guess if I had any criticism, it would be that the script read a little like direction. What I mean is, that whole chase section is more blocking to me, and not really script stuff. Not really content. It was definitely fun, but nothing specific to the story really happened in that whole section, and I think you could have just as easily written: "The Alien chases him through the forest," and then let the director block the chase.

    Or have some actual story stuff happen in there during the chase. Like give us some more specific examples of why THIS kid gets it. I know the running and reflexes and all, but that stuff didn't hit me as quite specific enough.

    Or, like for the Alien, maybe have that chase be a test. And the kid's reactions to the chase will determine whether or not the Alien really think he is worthy.

    Just an idea, but I think that chase needs some more content.

    I always love your stuff!
    Almost missed this one as we posted a minute apart. I like the idea of adding in the fact that the chase is actually part of a test. That sounds like a good idea.

    I disagree that I could have summed up the whole chase in one line. I wanted to show that Michael cared enough about his dog not to leave him. I also wanted it clear that the blasts of light were not blowing apart trees in the process. And finally, the audience got a glimpse into the aliens view of the world via the Heads Up Display.

    I read a lot of comics growing up so there probably is some influence for sure.

    To sum up... making the chase scene part of a test to see if he is worthy of receiving the power of the star is a nice addition. I like it.

    Thanks again,

    Mike


    MONSTERFEST : 4th Place - Sustained Excellence Award - WESTFEST: 3rd Place - THRILLFEST: 3rd Place


    Reply With Quote
     

  8. Collapse Details
    #18
    Default
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Anthony Horrigan View Post
    LOL!

    Thanks. I hope that means you liked it.

    I did, yes! My only question would be, did you try to cram too much into it? It's certainly chock full of big-budget goodness.

    My only other question (I guess I lied about that being the only one) would be... do you need the voice-over at the beginning? All it seems to do is justify him moving to the telescope, but do you really need the telescope? The falling object passes so close to him anyway that the telescope seems beside the point.

    Otherwise, it's super delicious!


    Reply With Quote
     

  9. Collapse Details
    #19
    More Cowbell Pictures Michael Anthony Horrigan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Ottawa
    Posts
    8,997
    Default
    Quote Originally Posted by Farnsworth View Post
    I did, yes! My only question would be, did you try to cram too much into it? It's certainly chock full of big-budget goodness.

    My only other question (I guess I lied about that being the only one) would be... do you need the voice-over at the beginning? All it seems to do is justify him moving to the telescope, but do you really need the telescope? The falling object passes so close to him anyway that the telescope seems beside the point.

    Otherwise, it's super delicious!
    Thanks!

    Well, I guess I just wanted to point out that he felt compelled to look up at the stars that night. Almost as if some sort of extra sense was pulling him in the right direction. I could lose that part though, you're right.

    Funny story, when I was younger I sometimes played a Role Playing Game that went by the name of Champions. It was a Superhero RPG.

    A buddy of mine had a character by the name of Prime, he loved the transformers. His character flew and had powers based on a star. He had a star on his chest as part of the uniform. I remember distinctly that we were facing this huge robotic enemy and he put everything he had into this one attack. It was called "pushing it" I believe in the rulebook.

    Anyway, right before he rolled he said... "Now you will feel the true power of a star!" He was really into it.

    He rolled a PILE of six sided dice for damage and almost every one of them came up sixes.

    It was a cool/geeky moment that I'll probably always remember.

    Definitely an inspiration.

    Mike


    MONSTERFEST : 4th Place - Sustained Excellence Award - WESTFEST: 3rd Place - THRILLFEST: 3rd Place


    Reply With Quote
     

  10. Collapse Details
    #20
    Default
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Anthony Horrigan View Post
    PS- I'm not sure if I can turn this off in Celtx. It also seems that only some pages have it?
    I believe you can. When you're on the Typeset tab, choose the "Format Options" menu, and look under "Mores and Continueds". It lets you customize what goes where.

    I personally don't have a problem with them being there. Pretty standard formatting, AFAIK.


    Reply With Quote
     

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •