Page 3 of 24 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Knight of the Holy Order krestofre's Avatar
    Just watched my copy. Really a top-notch job. Excellent resource.
    Chris Johnson

2. Collapse Details
    Guys, thanks for all the great feedback. It's gratifying to have an effort so well-received.
    LEARN FILMMAKING - DIGITAL STREAMING AND DOWNLOADS OF GREAT TRAINING PROGRAMS!

WRITING FOR TELEVISION ARTICLE | "ASSUMPTION BLUES" FILM NOIR RADIO PLAY | "BLUE SCARLET" RADIO PLAY

3. Collapse Details
    Yes, I'm thrilled that the DVD is well-received. Barry and Jimerson definitely did a first rate job! I was honored to be a part of this, and who knew Barry was this much fun?
    LIGHTING and SOUND AVAILABLE FOR DIGITAL DOWNLOAD OR ON DVD

LIGHTING for Film & Television DVD Excerpts Reel.................................................. ............................. SOUND for Film & Television DVD Excerpts Reel

4. Collapse Details
    VHS Member Old Skool Jim Brennan's Avatar
    Yeah, and I think it's the first time I've ever seen him in anything but a white button-down shirt.

"...there is no magic, no mystery---just common sense and hard work" - Nestor Almendros

Visit my site at

Hooligan Nation Productions

5. Collapse Details
    Senior Member Shawn Philip Nelson's Avatar
    About damn time :-). So Matt, I take it you scrapped your original one to do this one with Barry?

Btw, ordered this today, cant wait to see it!
    Formerly user 'shawneous'.

"Every great idea is on the verge of being stupid."
    -Michel Gondry

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by shawneous View Post
    About damn time :-). So Matt, I take it you scrapped your original one to do this one with Barry?

Btw, ordered this today, cant wait to see it!

Trust me, it's an honor to be any part of a project with Barry (and Jimerson, for that matter)... so I'm glad it worked out like this... just look at Barry's past dvds! It's ironic... the passing of time from when I first came to DVXuser (with my very first LONG post... in the audio forum)... back then there really wasn't any kind of movement in the audio section. It was a dead-spot compared to the rest of the forum... much like it is in many productions ;-)

I love how ALL the branches of DVXuser are raising the bar so high for production.

There's no doubt that we (as a community) are already on an elevator of sorts... ascending from the ground floor and learning/growing together as a community. The fests are proof that this is true. ...and I'd like to think that is what this dvd is all about... guaranteeing that everybody can get good results in location audio.
    LIGHTING and SOUND AVAILABLE FOR DIGITAL DOWNLOAD OR ON DVD

LIGHTING for Film & Television DVD Excerpts Reel.................................................. ............................. SOUND for Film & Television DVD Excerpts Reel

7. Collapse Details
    I'll toss in a few more words on this - Before I watched the dvd I knew what to do and how most of what was explained worked, but my sound was still just ok when putting this knowledge into practice. Now that I've seen it done (and learned a few more little helpful tricks), my micing ability is ten times better and I'm not making any guesses any more. Just did some tests last night to see if I could get sound as good as Matt did on the video and sure enough I did. Seeing it done and not just reading about it made a HUGE difference for me. Thanks Matt for the hard work and time you spent on this project.

8. Collapse Details
    Just placed my order.
    When the DVD arrives, I'm having a viewing party with my small crew.

I've got decent equipment - but knowing how to get the most from it is key!

Thanks for putting this product out guys. Long overdue!

9. Collapse Details
    Wow! What a great video!!!

Shipping time was unbelievable. I actually received my copy 47 hours after I placed my order.

But the real kudos goes to the content. I learned so much in this video! Great job of delivering the information. Not just the delivery (which was awesome), but to the organization of it and content of the information. A well conceived dvd from start to finish, executed without flaw!

From the opening, my attention was grabbed and it never let go. Even during some of the "drier" moments, my attention was held. It was just so great to visually see the explanations. I even turned to my wife (who got wrapped up into this video while correcting papers) and said, if I had to read this, I'd be bored. Not so with the presentation.

And I learned so much... I finally understand the different cardioid patterns. I've seen them drawn out (those little heart-shaped figures) but I didn't really grasp them. In this video, the patterns are made clear and understandable as they are put into real-life examples with clever vfx. And I've heard the term Signal to Noise ratio but again... didn't quite grasp it. And the list goes on. (Obviously, I am not a sound guy! But, after this, I feel that I have such a better understanding.)

Hats off to Matt Gettemeier. That guy gave some great information that was explained in simple and easy to follow terms. I never felt confused or lost in his explanations and instruction. I thoroughly enjoyed his segments.

And I just have to say that Barry Green is one funny dude! I had no idea!!! I was cracking up out loud at his stuff. Funny, funny dude! And that Polar Pattern bit... I was just like, "this guy is doing everything for this video!" (Barry, I have always been a fan of yours but you now have another... my wife. She just loved you!) Seriously, Barry conducted this DVD with a sense of humor while delivering the goods. He, like Matt, provided information that was clear and understandable.

This is a MUST HAVE for any independent filmmaker making their way into this business. Even if you have no desire to ever be a sound engineer or boom op, you'll appreciate what duties and responsibilities lie in their departments. And even if you know everything there is to know about sound, you'll enjoy this dvd. Barry Green is a freakin' riot! The skits are awesome!

Lastly, this dvd is going to be watched by my next boom op. Obviously, I would love a "real" boom op but since I don't have one, my "PA" who ends up holding the big stick with the mic thingy on the end is going to watch a few selected chapters.

Really well done. David and Barry and Matt did an outstanding job putting this together. Worth every penny!

Thanks guys!
    Last edited by Ted Arabian; 05-10-2008 at 07:22 PM.

10. Collapse Details
    hmmm... you've piqued my interested, Ted man.
    video editor
    portland, or
    www.kylestebbins.com

Page 3 of 24 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast