Page 2 of 24 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

2. Collapse Details
    No thank you! That's all sincere realness there guys. This really is one of those DVD's you wont put away because you'll be watching it again and again. How did Matt put that lav on? Time to go watch again...

If I had to nitpick... a few times some industry terms like foley were thrown out assuming you knew what they meant. Granted most of us do, so some people may go huh what? But they can always do a little searchin on the dvxuser and find out what that means...

Loved the Full Metal Jacket spoof. That was priceless. Had to watch that section twice it was so darn good. Also was great to see a variety of micing techniques used through the production. All sounded great (obviously), but it gave a great real world difference of Matt on a lav and Barry being boomed. Once again, outstanding work guys, cant wait for the next one!

3. Collapse Details
    Thanks, Jeff -- always great to have people appreciate your work! Hope you're still as excited about the post section.
    LEARN FILMMAKING - DIGITAL STREAMING AND DOWNLOADS OF GREAT TRAINING PROGRAMS!

WRITING FOR TELEVISION ARTICLE | "ASSUMPTION BLUES" FILM NOIR RADIO PLAY | "BLUE SCARLET" RADIO PLAY

4. Collapse Details
    VHS Member Old Skool Jim Brennan's Avatar
    Kudos gentleman. A long-overdue asset. This one is a must-have, if for no other reason than to see Barry slapping people around.

"...there is no magic, no mystery---just common sense and hard work" - Nestor Almendros

Visit my site at

Hooligan Nation Productions

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by David Jimerson View Post
    Thanks, Jeff -- always great to have people appreciate your work! Hope you're still as excited about the post section.
    Oh of course. I had to save it because I was getting tired and wanted to give it my full attention. 2.5 hours is alot in one night. Kudos on the editing David, I think this is the first instructional dvd I've seen that actually has good editing and makes good use of multiple camera angles. And I'm assuming your responsible for the mic patterns overlayed on the scenes. Those really drove it home for me. Especially when Matt steps through the pattern in front of the mic.

Its weird because it was stuff I knew and kinda understood but now having seen it done in actual practical situations I feel 20x more confident. I'm hoping after I practice some I'll feel even more confident.

He he only home movies and steers.... you guys are a riot!

6. Collapse Details
    Yes! Just ordered my copy!!!

7. Collapse Details
    Excellent! Taught me alot!
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry R View Post
    This DVD is worth more than than the price. I learned so much about sound that I bought a Oktava Mk0-012 from Ebay as soon as the video ended. I fell into the wireless lav trap for the documentary I just finished shooting. I kept wondering why the sound from the boomed shots we did sounded so much better than my lav shots. Now I know why. My Azden Wireless lavs go onto Ebay tomorrow.

Great work guys! How about a lighting video up next?

Mark Burgh

8. Collapse Details
    From the episodes I have seen so far, there has obviously been a lot of thought and planning put into this project. Barry's explanation of the inverse square law and the relationship between mic distance and signal/noise ratio was really punctuated by the use of the jittering numeral in the equation and the "ding". Very effective. Actually made me laugh. Without that, I can see some people's eyes might glaze over.
    Matt's explanation for targeting a boomed shotgun to your fist in front of your face to avoid talent stepping forward out of the lobar pattern was impressive. When Matt steps forward you not only hear the drop off you see him step out through the blue highlighted lobar region and then back behind it. You not only hear the change, you see it. Very cool. Very effective.
    Barry's demonstration of a properly used cheap mic vs. an improperly used expensive mic was effective as I'm expecting others to be that I have not yet seen.
    Obviously a lot of thought and planning was put into this project. It not only gets the information across effectively, it's a lot of fun.
    Fantastic work guys!
    I really appreciate you getting this product out here

Edit: ...the post production basics were the cherry on the cake!
    Last edited by gco; 05-09-2008 at 09:41 AM.

9. Collapse Details
    got my SOUND dvd yesterday and liked it so much that i watched the entire presentation in one sitting really liked the way the subject was presented with not only humor but some of the sets were amazing especially the diner just loved that look learned one very valuable lesson and that is simply get that mic off the camera and move it as close to the talent as humanely possible--without being in the shot of course and lastly it
    cost me an additional $219 to watch the dvd as i could not resist getting the oktava mic

10. Collapse Details
    I just bought it. Can't wait!
    Why do there have to be puppets like Frank?
    My Twitter

Page 2 of 24 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast