Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Thanks for the feedback guys!

The audio for the most part was ADR, but I still think of this as a whole as incomplete. Audio is still unprocessed and yeah, no room tone / ambient was added at all. I still plan on finishing up a lot of the VFX work and taking care of the sound...

Thanks again for checking it out... this one's definitely still a work in progress so any feedback you guys give is super appreciated!

2. Collapse Details
    Sets built from scratch? Great work then.

Definitely post the final version once you get some little things smoothed out. I really liked the short.
    "You'd better cure all those personal problems that might be holding back something you want to say." -John Cassavetes

3. Collapse Details
    I like the feel of your movie. Nice music and FX. The acting is good also. I just can't relate the use of Chinese language to the overall story of the movie. The actors seem to be able to speak English :-) and I guess your movie was made in the US and one of the actors doesn't look like he's from China. I think it might make the viewers feel more involved with the movie if the actors speak English. Sorry I don't mean to be racist here but it's just my observation :-). I know there are many films in this fest that are not from the US and I feel totally fine watching the actors in those films speaking in their native language. Maybe it's just me that expect different thing from your movie ;-). Nice job though.

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by totitefilms View Post
    I just can't relate the use of Chinese language to the overall story of the movie.
    totite: Well, i'm glad you liked the feel of the flick. I'd be interested in knowing what you think of the original cut of the movie. There is a lot of subtext as to why they are speaking mandarin (which is a completely natural and fluent second language for both our actors) in a movie shot in the US. Unfortunately most of these hints got cut to make the 6 min mark. What we have here is (hopefully) the heart of the story minus of lot of the minor details. The original version is about twice as long and has at least one other language... er, involved.

Drew Ott: Thanks. We'll def be posting the final. One thing: the interior introduced at 1:11 was a trailer secured and decorated. So i guess that wasn't technically "built."

Thanks for the feedback!
    From the makers of Breathe, Don't Look, Moments, Tailight, Hollow, and North.

Now with Behind the Scenes.and screen grabs.

5. Collapse Details
    Think FIREFLY or Serenity and the way Mandarin is worked in there. Bryce can go into detail about how the world he's conceptualized works in regards to them speaking mandarin. But to his credit, it's definetely not JUST so they can be speaking mandarin. And, like he said, much of that probably got lost in the time frame.
    From the makers of Breathe, Don't Look, Moments, Tailight, Hollow, and North.

6. Collapse Details
    FIRST OFF and MOST IMPORTANTLY... Great Film guys!

SPOILERS:

The white guy speaking Chinese... sold it for me. It immediately brought me to the thought that this is a subculture that has evolved or sometihng like that. I too thought Firefly... and if you are going to be compared to something that is not a bad something to be compared to!

like PUSH, I feel the CG/composites were note complete. They looked great, but I could see that you may have some tweaking to do. The whole Magnetic twist was awesome... I wasn't sold at all until that point and then you had me. The markings on the guys hands and hologram... very cool. In my mind it was a great success due to the fact that when I think about it now, I want to know about the person that stopped/caused it... I need to watch it again, but didn't it suggest that the guy in the end still has a way to go and that he needs to find his purpose in all of this... That is what I got out of it! GREAT JOB GUYS and if this is not complete... I can't wait to see what COMPLETE IS! Put me on the list to see/get a finished copy!
    MARK T. ARO
    HYPERACTIVE STUDIOS - www.hyperactive-studios.com
    FILMOGRAPHY: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm2750618/
    CURRENT PROJECT: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1374994/

7. Collapse Details
    Excellent film. I question whether those two were native speakers of manadrin but it didn't bother me b/c I guess the one guy was a foreigner. I absolutely loved your elevator effect! Some of the cgi with the mountain took from the experience but you said it's rough form right now. Maybe a way to fix that is have a friend near the rocky mountains or other mountain range shoot footage of a stand in from behind.

At around 4:49 you're subtitle drops too quickly to read it all. I liked the mood of the film, the lighting, the shots, the whole thing general. I felt the manadrin gave it an authentic feel.

WO XI HUAN!!!

8. Collapse Details
    Good film! I liked the 'darkness' of it and thought the CG's were cool. I did get lost a bit and had to watch a second time to understand the story (I think?).

Spoilers------
    *subtitles - I know it's just me, but they always pull my attention away from the visuals
    * audio could use some work, but you already know that

Excellent job!

9. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark T. Aro View Post
    FIRST OFF and MOST IMPORTANTLY... Great Film guys!
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Mark T. Aro View Post
    ...but didn't it suggest that the guy in the end still has a way to go and that he needs to find his purpose in all of this... That is what I got out of it!
    That actually makes me really happy -- it's exactly what we were going for!

In regards to the comments about the Mandarin and our actors -- these two are actually brothers (white/Chinese mix).. the idea behind the "diversity" being that we were attempting to create a world & culture that indeed had evolved... and to try and create a place where you weren't entirely certain where/when it was. A hard sell, I know, but sounds like it worked for some, not for others!

Thanks all for checking the flick out....

10. Collapse Details
    Hey guys this is actually one of my favorite shorts in the competition. Loved the SFX and the shots are clean and well thought out. Good actors and great locations. Great Job.

"I have learned silence from the talkative, toleration from the intolerant, and kindness from the unkind; yet, strange, I am ungrateful to those teachers."

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast