Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Editing a feature film
    Well, I just got a gig editing my first feature film Everything I've edited so far have been either broadcast commercials or short films -- nothing nearly as long as this is gonna be.

It was shot on the GY-100 in 720/24p. There's about 20 hours of footage.

So, here are a few questions:

How much storage space will I need? I know a deal where I can get a 2TB Lacie for $500, but will 2TB be enough?

How should I capture the footage?

It was shot onto HDV tapes and I'm probably gonna be renting a deck or borrowing one from a friend. Is it worth capturing to an offline format first?

ProRes or MPEG?

Now I just have to find a JVC BR50 deck or one of the GY-HD series cameras for rent in Boston, lol.

2. Collapse Details
    Edit HDV- no reason to go down to another format. Most editors would consider HDV to be quite offline already. 2 TB is more than you'd need for 20 hours of HDV. For 20 hours you'll need less than 200GB. So I'd go for a nice RAID of 1TB or less. That would give you much better performance. Personally am not a fan of LaCie- too many lost drives. Instead I'd stick with G-Tech, CalDigit or Dulce Systems.

Noah
    One of 50 Best Websites for Moviemakers by MovieMaker Magazine: www.CallBoxLive.com
    40% discount code for DVXusers: dvxcbx20
    Good on all Call Box videos including Panasonic GH2, Panasonic AC160/130 and GoPro HD.

3. Collapse Details
    HDV is around 11 gigs an hour, so that's around 220 gig's. ProRes will actually take up a lot more space than HDV. I personally don't like editing in HDV. Too many headaches on export as it has to re-conform the MPEG stream which takes forever, and for a feature forget it! I'd transcode to DVCPRO HD, as Final Cut plays real nice with it and it's easy to dump back out to tape. Takes up alot more space though. Just get the biggest drive you can afford...AND BACK UP YOUR SH*T!

4. Collapse Details
    Ahh - I've got a few 500GB drives, so they should suffice. I was thinking it would need a lot more storage space.

Oh yeah, I'll back it up onto 2 or 3 drives... I've heard plenty of horror stories of people losing entire features due to drives going bad.

Looks like I'll have to rent the HD100 for $200/weekend to be able to capture it :-|

5. Collapse Details
    Man that's a horrible story...At least you have tapes. Do what I do and put them into a fireproof safe after capturing.

6. Collapse Details
    Yeah, my friend was the DP on that -- must have been devastating. Worst thing is that the trailer actually looks really good.

7. Collapse Details
    Bronze Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NoahK View Post
    Edit HDV- no reason to go down to another format. Most editors would consider HDV to be quite offline already. 2 TB is more than you'd need for 20 hours of HDV. For 20 hours you'll need less than 200GB. So I'd go for a nice RAID of 1TB or less. That would give you much better performance. Personally am not a fan of LaCie- too many lost drives. Instead I'd stick with G-Tech, CalDigit or Dulce Systems.

Noah
    Nice, yeah G-Tech rocks... we are going with a 2 TB RAID from CalDigit, I've paid for it but waiting for it to come in for the new Mac Pro I'm using, so excited to have that RAID setup. It's going to help our workflow speed a lot. It's good to hear someone say something good about CalDigit, though, haven't heard much about them except Mac Hollywood highly recommends their products so that's why I went with it.

8. Collapse Details
    Leaving the backup HD at a friend's house is a good precaution. Unlikely that
    disaster will stike at two different locations at the same time. I've lost a short,
    andl loosing that was enough to make me worry.

9. Collapse Details
    My company shoots and cut entirely with HDV footage shot with the JVC GY-HD 110E. One make sure the deck or camera you use to capture with has had all firmware update made on it. We constently experiance problems with lost footage from take to take. From what I have read this seems to be a problem with firewire, FCP, and the format itself HDV. The only work around I have found is to capture via a HDMI input. The JVC HDV deck has one but you'll need a captuure card like Blackmagic's intensity pro as well.

Another tip I could give is to do a general color correction to the raw footage first, then do your color matching after you have picture lock. This will save you a lot of head ache time on the back end.

10. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by NoahK View Post

Noah

Hi Noah, I use a Lacie, and I'm curious what do you mean by "lost drives"? Should I expect to lose some info. saving everything to my Lacie external harddrive?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast