Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678
  1. Collapse Details
    From the Marox user forums Re:MBP
    Thought it was all too good to be true, I'm now getting RT errors with the Mtrox plugged in could this have something to do with the Matrox?

I'm using a Macbook Pro dual 2.4 gig pentium with 2 gigs of ram and the external drive is connected via the 800 firewire. I'm working in DV. but will need to work in SD PAL as soon as possible. I thoought that the system was able to run HD?

Before connecting the MX02 I was able to run 4 layers of DV with no RT errors.

Now if I have one layer plus two audio tracks and mark an inpoint of the fly they RTerror comes up.

I've run the activity Monitor and it says that there is 1.1 gigs of ram free but how acurate is this?

The only time I had anything like this was when I left the camera connected to the 400 firewire .

Could it be that the MacBook Pro isn't really capable of running the Matrox Mx02?

Is the express card in ths side in the same internal bus as the fire wire?

not sure if this was reseolve------

2. Collapse Details
    Hi MrBill,

Just wanted to let you know that in this thread the RT issue that the client was experiencing was resolved by reinstalling the the MXO2 software.

You can find the thread here http://forum.matrox.com/mxo/viewtopi...410f2389d7623d
    Best Regards,

Chris.

3. Collapse Details
    So far we are getting excellent feedback from our customers who have purchased the MXO2. It does what it says it will and the video quality is outstanding.

We've put some cool bundle promotions together with Boris FX Continuum that I think you'll find worth checking out. http://www.videoguys.com/mxo2.html

Gary

4. Collapse Details
    Thanks Gary!

5. Collapse Details
    I have two quick questions:
    -Looking through the specs, I don't see anything the Blackmagic Intensity does that the MX02 doesn't also do. Am I right?
    -I haven't used a capture card before. I'm assuming Matrox has a software program with which to control the flow of inputs / outputs. Am I right? Thanks...

ps While it's not on their web page last time I checked, Spec-Comm sells the MX02, and those interested may want to check their price (sorry if this is any kind of violation).

6. Collapse Details
    Blackmagic Intensity...HDMI only.
    MXO 2 - HDMI, SDI, COMPONENT, COMPOSITE, SVIDEO

Intensity Pro has more connections, but not SDI. Both can downconvert HD to SD, but MXO2 can upconvert SD to HD.

Intensity Pro...Only works on a MacPro. MXO 2 connects to a laptop or a tower.
    Shane
    www.lfhd.net
    Little Frog in High Def.

7. Collapse Details
    Can the the MX02 import HD SDI 1080p (otherwise known as SMPTE 372M Dual Link HD-SDI) into its single input? Can cameras export 1080p without using two cables?

What I'm seeing is that HD-SDI can't do 1080p without two cables.

Yet new cameras (Panasonic HPX170) can record/export 1080p, even if they only have the one HD-SDI output jack.

I'm curious about this.

-The standard subset of HD-SDI is a SMPTE standard, specifically: SMPTE 292M HD-SDI 1.485 Gbit/s, and 1.485/1.001 Gbit/s 720p, 1080i
    -It's apparently only good for 1080i, or 720p.
    -If you want to output 1080p, you need to go to different standard, which can need two cables and is called: SMPTE 372M Dual Link HD-SDI 2.970 Gbit/s, and 2.970/1.001 Gbit/s 1080p

8. Collapse Details
    The MXO2 does everything it says it will do, but here's what they don't tell you:

1) It can't record 1080p23.98 PsF. BIG, BIG, BIG problem, guys! That means you can't use the MXO2 as on set video assist recorder with the Sony F900. It's really unbelievable.

2) You can't bring in HD-SDI video (from an F900 or VariCam, Red, etc) and expect to have a time code signal show up in Final Cut Pro. Apparently that is only available when you use the RS-422 serial port interface on the MXO2.

But, no camera has an RS-422 and although there are adapters to go from the LTC port on the camera to the RS-422 on the MXO2, this could be avoided if Matrox just were to implement the SMPTE RP-188 specification for embedded timecode over HD-SDI.

AJA's competing product, the I/O HD, comes with a special application called VTRXchange that does allow capturing HD-SDI video with time code over HD-SDI cable (SMPTE RP188) in the ProRes format. It's a great solution to ultimately, an Apple problem.

I have been testing the MXO2 for the past couple of weeks, looking for its weaknessess, and frankly, since my needs are unmet, with the MXO2, I am immediately switching to AJA products. I generally thought that AJA products were vastly overpriced for what they are, but after this whole ordeal with Matrox not living up to my expectations and then there's AJA going the complete opposite direction and writing custom software to workaround Final Cut's deficiences, I must say I am rather impressed. They are now, in my mind, a small company that puts a lot of love into their products. They obviously really, really care about what they're putting on the shelves and it shows.

In the end, I must have support for 23.98 PsF capture and SMPTE RP-188. Matrox just does not offer these things currently, and probably won't even bother attempting it anytime in the near future. Just a quick look at how frequently AJA updates software products (several times a year), even for 3 year old products, verses Matrox's once or twice a year updates. Well, it just shows how awesome AJA is and how dedicated they are to our industry. I guess I'd rather buy a product made by a company that only does one thing (AJA) instead of a company that does a lot of unrelated things (Matrox). Just me, but it definitely shows in the depth of each company's products for us video people.
    Last edited by thisiswells; 12-17-2008 at 04:31 AM.

9. Collapse Details
    I am getting tired of people trying to say that a capture card or capture device is utter crap because it won't do this and it won't do that. There isn't one capture card to fulfull EVERY need. What you need to do is assess what you need to do, then get the capture device that suits that need.

"1) It can't record 1080p23.98 PsF. BIG, BIG, BIG problem, guys! That means you can't use the MXO2 as on set video assist recorder with the Sony F900. It's really unbelievable."

I don't need that. Many people don't need that. YOu want that, then get the AJA I/O HD. That is one thing that the IOHD is good for. But I for one don't need that, so it isn't a feature I want nor look for.

"2) You can't bring in HD-SDI video (from an F900 or VariCam, Red, etc) and expect to have a time code signal show up in Final Cut Pro. Apparently that is only available when you use the RS-422 serial port interface on the MXO2."

Again..so what? I don't need this. If you do, then get the IOHD.

The IOHD doesn't do uncompressed video. WHAT A PIECE OF JUNK, RIGHT? No....it is fine if you don't need uncompressed. Not everyone needs to hook this up to a camera...but some people want portability so they can edit with their laptop, and inexpensive.

SO if we can stop the product bashing because it doesn't do one or two...or three very specific things, while another card does...that would be grand. Again...look at your workflow. Look at what you need to do and get the capture device that fulfills that need. Be glad that there are choices out there.

AJA is BMW, DECKLINK is VOLKSWAGEN and MATROX is TOYOTA....for example. Now would it not suck if the ONLY option for a car would be BMW? What if you couldn't afford that BMW? I know I can't. But I need a car to get me somewhere. So I get the less expensive, yet perfectly good Toyota. It does exactly what I need.

I am a fan of AJA and Matrox...and even Decklink. I have used all three and haven't had issues with any. They all offer tools that work.

The fact that
    Shane
    www.lfhd.net
    Little Frog in High Def.

10. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Shane Ross
    I am getting tired of people trying to say that a capture card or capture device is utter crap because it won't do this and it won't do that. There isn't one capture card to fulfull EVERY need. What you need to do is assess what you need to do, then get the capture device that suits that need.
    I agree completely! That's all I was saying really, was that Matrox doesn't do two things that I really need. I will GREATLY MISS not having the ability to power it off an Anton Bauer battery and the fact that it runs on the Express Card, that's very handy, and because it's uncompressed, so there is practically no delay to the monitor.

Quote Originally Posted by Shane Ross
    some people want portability so they can edit with their laptop, and inexpensive.
    Really, truthfully, that's all I want.

But, a device that can't capture frame accurate time code from my camera is of little value, IMHO. The fact is that the MXO-2 just does not offer this feature. Running 2 BNC's (one for video, another one for time code) is impractical on TV commercial shoots. It is unnecessarily complicated and more cables = a messy set. Plus, most prosumer cameras with HD-SDI (such as the EX1 and and HPX-170) don't even have a separate TC output. So, time code over HD-SDI (SMPTE RP188) is the only way to do this.

Ultimately, uncompressed HD (MXO-2) is really not a value added feature if the clips it captures do not have time code that corresponds to what's on the tape log. I don't see how that's going to be useful to anyone. And, since the cameras today (EX-1 and HPX-170) offer time code over HD-SDI, why not take advantage of it? That's all I'm saying. Make it functional.

Quote Originally Posted by Shane Ross View Post
    SO if we can stop the product bashing because it doesn't do one or two...or three very specific things, while another card does...that would be grand. Again...look at your workflow. Look at what you need to do and get the capture device that fulfills that need. Be glad that there are choices out there.
    Sorry if I was bashing them. I was really, really rooting for them in the beginning.

But, the point is that, for these features that the IO HD offers, it is by far the cheapest solution available. To do the same things with the MXO-2, you would be adding the following costs:

$400 to connect a 23.98 PsF camera (AJA HI-5 adapter)
    $3500 to connect a time code over HD-SDI and capture it on the Mac (Evertz box)
    $1100 to get a real time SD downconvert from the live HD-SDI input (AJA downconverter)
    --
    So, $5000, on top of the cost of the MXO-2. Buying a $2500 AJA IO HD is much, much cheaper, man!

Quote Originally Posted by Shane Ross View Post
    MATROX ... It does exactly what I need.
    Lucky you! I wish in was in your situation, seriously. : )
    Last edited by thisiswells; 12-17-2008 at 02:20 PM.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678