Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Huy Vu View Post
    True, but will that be enough difference for the consumer? If there isn't one huge selling point that differentiate the two cameras, people will always go for the newer version assuming that it's better. On the other hand, if this is an A1/G1 situation, where the 170 is basically a higher priced version of the "basic" HVX model, then I'm willing to bet that it's not gonna do well. Very few people wanted the pay an extra $2000 for the G1's jackpack, and I doubt they would want to pay just for waveform monitor.
    And if the 170 is higher priced, you may be right. But I'm betting it's lower priced. Panasonic has not, that I'm aware of, ever introduced a new model with a lower model number, and charged more than an existing higher-model number.

100B: $2995.
    150: "under $4500".
    170: ? Presumably over $4500 and under $5995
    200: $5995
    500: $14,000
    2000: $27,000
    3000: $48,000.

As the model number goes up, so does the price. I could be wrong, but I think the 170 will be less expensive than the 200A. It just makes sense.

2. Collapse Details
    When I originally saw the 170 I thought it looked kind of bare. But when you consider all of the stuff people usually trick these out with; matte box, monitor, rails etc, I think it will look pretty nice.

Swapping the DV tape drive for HD-SDI out and a better imager are some very good moves. There is a lot to like here, I think this will be a very popular camera.

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by poweredbyjolt View Post
    Does anyone else think these new panny's look cheap? I look at it and I just think they missed the mark.
    Yes it does look cheap .... but remember this is a mockup. The final model may look different. Notice the buttons under the lcd screen on the picture, they are made of cardboard!! haha and the lettering is peeling off. The hvx200 looked similar as a mockup but changed when the final model came out. they added the speaker on the viewfinder side and some other things I can't quite remember.

4. Collapse Details
    What about the 1080p, is it only through the HD-SDI or also to P2?

5. Collapse Details
    The focus/Iris switch seems cool. Could be useful to us adapter guys. Set your back focus and switch the ring to iris. What I really want on these suckers is a nice lcd screen. With 3 new cams all coming out at the same time there's a good opportunity to simply give them all the same nice sharp lcd. Come on Panasonic stop making videos bragging about your 17" and make a useable inbuilt lcd! (The hvx's is semi usable)
    Why do there have to be puppets like Frank?
    My Twitter

6. Collapse Details
    I will need to check it out today (oh it's late in NV). Could be a sweet deal for someone just getting into HD.

7. Collapse Details
    wasn't the hvx200 announced for fall too, 3 years ago? with panasonic users experience, when do u think the 170 will be available? december?

8. Collapse Details
    No word on the LCD?
    If this camera can match the EX-1 in Low light, Low noise, and LCD-
    I might consider coming back to Panasonic. I hope so.
    But for some reason I just feel this camera might be a transition camera before the real deal- The sony EX1 is so good and it's stealing P2 thunder- panasonic had to react-?

9. Collapse Details
    So this is still a mock up? Thought it was final.

The HVX didn't look that different either from mock up to final to be honest...or maybe i just dont remember....

10. Collapse Details
    Of all the cameras, this one has me the most excited. If it's using the same imager as the HVX200a, and if it falls between the HMC150 and HVX200a, then I may just get this. I hope there's more info on pricing, features, etc...

After reading Barry's article on the HVX200a's new features, this cam or the HVX200a has really got me interested.
    Paul Del Vecchio - Director
    PaulDV.net
    Twitter
    Weinstein Co/George Romero Contest Grand Prize Winner

Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast