Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Export options in Avid
    Question
    I am currently having problem with Quicktime Reference export file. After rendering in ProCoder 3, the rendered file looks much darker than when playing the HD QT Ref inside of Quicktime Player. Since no one seems to know what solution to resolve this problem, I'm asking if there is any other options besides Quicktime when exporting out of Avid. Quicktime has a pretty resolution but it's no use if there is a problem with inconsistent gamma handling.

2. Collapse Details
    a quicktime reference will not change gammas or levels in any way but if going to another application like sorenson on avidDVD, you will notice lots of interlacing. You have to do mixdowns to avoid this. I have found I usually have to lay it off to tape, delete everything and then recapture the master, as wack as that sounds.
    I have noticed the level change in bringing in clips back from AE but these level changes have always happened in AE, not upon export. I have a saved color effect to fix this.

3. Collapse Details
    Many thanks for the response. The problem I'm having is not so much importing back into Avid (I'm pretty sure I will once I'm starting) but exporting out. When the footage was playing inside of a Quicktime player, the gamma/luminance looks correct. However, after rendering in Procoder to DVD mastering, the footage gets much darker.

In Avid, when exporting the sequence out, the sequence is already transcoded to DNxHD 270 or sometimes MXF 1:1. So when exporting the transcoded sequence, I chose QT Reference and I believed all I've checked all the mixdown checkboxes. After exporting out, I end with one .mov and .aif file for audio. What are other options that I should try?

4. Collapse Details
    Avid Moderator
    Are you set to 601/709 or RGB? And then in the encoder, what are the settings being used?

Michael

5. Collapse Details
    Question
    Yes, when export out, I set to 601/709 and in the encoder, I just used the default (DVD Mastering quality).

6. Collapse Details
    are you verifying these levels with scopes?
    what are you monitoring on?
    I would not get shaken up by QT player looking different than a different app.

7. Collapse Details
    I don't have to use scopes or anything, the picture is obviously much darker than what I've color corrected in Avid and playing the footage in Avid composer window. The picture is like 1 or 1.5 stops darker than what's showing in Avid composer window.

8. Collapse Details
    Here's a picture that shows the exact problem that I have. The one right is what it suppose to look like. The picture on the left is too dark to see any details of the person.

9. Collapse Details
    I don't know much about the problem, but the key looks great!

10. Collapse Details
    have you checked you prrocoder settings?
    Have you tried sorenson squeeze to ensure it is in fact procoder?
    I don't belive this is the reference file doing this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast