Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Joystick Member Richard J. Johnson's Avatar
    I went to Barnes and Noble looking for any book on film making and the only one they had in store was Digital Film Making For Teens. I am a grown ass man but that book really helped me understand the basics of everything. I still open it up and read it from time to time. I just got Katz book "...shot by shot" it is a great. tons of pictures and diagrams.

Canon 7D+Teddybear T-Finder+Tamron & Canon Glass+lighting+a bunch of other stuff+2 Beautiful Babies.

"Torn" Available now!
    http://www.rsquaredfilms.com/films/torn.html

Vimeo Channel: http://vimeo.com/channels/47561

"RaZoRbLaDe cItY" December 2010. A Maverick Entertainment Release
    http://www.maverickentertainment.cc/...azorblade-city

2. Collapse Details
    there are dozens of great beginner books - but once you have the basics nailed Bruce Block's "The Visual Story" will keep you thinkin for years

3. Collapse Details
    Reflections: Twenty-One Cinematographers At Work
    Smile
    The link below is an excellent book " Reflections: Twenty-One Cinematographers At Work" that we have that is 50% off.

https://www.studentfilmmakers.com/st...2&cat=0&page=6

examines the practice of cinematography for cinema lovers, students, and film professionals from the perspective of those artists who paint within the medium of light to dark. It is divided into seven sections: cinematography basics, the key light, portraits, day interiors, night interiors, lab techniques, and the designing sequences. Each section contains extraordinary material in the form of illustrations, diagrams, reproductions of frames and scholarship of twenty such "masters of light". And they are: Stephen Burum, ASC, Jordan Cronenweth, ASC, John Hora, ASC, Owen Roizman, ASC, Phillippe Rousselot, ASC,AFC, Michael Hugo, ASC, Stephen Goldblatt, ASC, Steven Poster, ASC, Frederick Elmes, ASC, Tony Pierce-Roberts, BSC, Vilmos Zsigmond,ASC, Haskell Wexler, ASC, Laszlo Kovacs, Yves Angelo, ASC, Jack Green, ASC, Denis Lenoir, ASC, AFC, Raoul Coutard, AFC, Allen Daviau, ASC, Darius Khondji, ASC,AFC and Vittorio Storaro, ASC, AIC.

4. Collapse Details
    Woah, awesome deal on that book, kimwelch. I've been meaning to pick that up for a while, but didn't want to spring for the full price. I'm totally ordering it now. Thanks for the heads up.

5. Collapse Details
    Another good read - Film Lighting by Kris Malkiewicz. Great interviews with cinematographers on basic and advanced lighting techniques both on location and in the studio.

Jason

6. Collapse Details
    I have quite a few Books on Cinematography, among other items, for sale.
    The books are very cheap, but on the tutorials and some other items I am willing to lower the price.

www.superbshots.com

7. Collapse Details
    I'm actually surprised no one has mentioned New Cinematographers, interviews with six modern cinematographers edited by Alexander Ballinger. I love this book. Each cinematographer breaks down films they have worked on, including storyboards, notes, lighting diagrams, ideas, and their little tricks. While the cinematographers do get technical, it is mostly focused on their creative approach to each film. I've found it incredibly inspiring and educational, a lot more so than technical manuals.

Link: http://www.amazon.com/New-Cinematogr.../dp/1856693341
    All you need for a movie is a gun and a girl.
    --Jean-Luc Godard

8. Collapse Details
    ross lowell - matters of light and depth
    Quote Originally Posted by AwakenedFilms View Post
    Here are a few of my favorites (in no order, just looking through my book shelf) - j

American Cinematographer Video Manual - ASC

Film Directing Shot by Shot - steven katz

Professional Cinematography - Charles Clarke

A director's method to film and Television - Ron Richards

MAtters of LIght and Depth - Ross Lowell

Reflections - Benjamin Bergery

ASC magazine!

Anyone know why some copies of the the ross lowell book are selling for what seems to be a ridiculously high price (over $100 and close to $200) even for used copies? am i missing something?

9. Collapse Details
    Cinematography/Lighting Mod Ryan Patrick O'Hara's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by msolid View Post
    Anyone know why some copies of the the ross lowell book are selling for what seems to be a ridiculously high price (over $100 and close to $200) even for used copies? am i missing something?
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listi...condition=used

I don't know. It is strange for sure. Those prices are for the 1992 book. It's the one I have. Even though written in 92, mine was printed in 2006.

The expensive ones seem to be written in 1999... and I have no idea what makes them different. The picture of the book on Amazon is IDENTICAL to my edition and cover.

I love the book I have, so I'd say just spring for the $44-$50 ones.

If cinematography wasn't infinite, I'm sure I would have found the end by now.

10. Collapse Details
    Cinematography/Lighting Mod Ryan Patrick O'Hara's Avatar
    Just finished Reflections for the first time, and although many of the concepts I had already been very aware of, the personal insight is a must. Many of those guys were saying things that I often felt as if they were reading my mind! It spoke very true to my beliefs and was certainly worth EVERY penny. I'm not sure I've ever thought a book has done such a great job for all levels of readers.

If cinematography wasn't infinite, I'm sure I would have found the end by now.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast