Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Why are so many SG Pro's for sale recently?
    Just through browsing the forums recently I've noticed there is a lot of SG Pro's for sale these days. Just curious as to why so many people are selling them lately, from what I've heard I thought they were one of the better adapters out there. Am I missing something here, or are they just not living up to the hype? Not trying to start an adapter war here or anything though haha. And to those who are selling theirs, which adapter if any have you switched to?
    Patrick McEnaney

2. Collapse Details
    I was wondering the same thing. Absolutely no SGpros for sale for months and then BAM! 4 in one day?
    Life, Love, Liberty
    DVX100a PowerMac G5

3. Collapse Details
    It seems a lot of them are the rev3's, maybe there's some sort of fault in the new version?
    Patrick McEnaney

4. Collapse Details
    I loved my SG but the non-flip and light loss issues were too much. The light loss with the new flip takes it over the edge for me to the realm of 2.5ks for day interiors at a 2.8 on the lens or close to wide open for night exteriors. I don't like shooting my Nikons that low. Now I need a genny or a tie in. At this point, I might as well rent a varicam/PS kit and get a smaller light kit and crew.

So why not get my light back and shoot without a flip? Shooting flipped was not that much a pain for me it was the post that killed me. I use multicam alot (music videos) and shoot in 1080p alot. With an image flip filter on an MBP even with a RAID 0 ESata firmtek, my bandwidth would still get choked up. The invert filter is what takes it over the top in multicam on 1080. I can run non-flipped in multicam at 1080 without a hitch.

So I got a new LEX and yes it is a compromise. I still like the SG's image better than the rest and its stop and shutter flexibility are unequaled. But I just couldn't justify it for the reasons above. If you do alot of day exterior, don't use multicam in 1080p or can afford to have more than one model of adaptor, it's the best bet. As I can't afford to keep two models around (you need a back up for each model) I had to sell to finance my LEX.

Also, the new Nikon mount on the LEX is what everyone else should be doing (like last year). Until this mount, I've had nothing but problems with everyone's mount. So that's another reason I jumped ship.

When SG has something with less of a light penalty in flip mode, I'll be the first in line. It was by far one of the easiest to set up, has the best pic IMO and has a no BS customer service. The build (except the plastic knobs) is excellent and the weight beats my LEX by about 1/2 a pound. So until then, I wait.....

Tim Naylor
    Last edited by Tim Naylor; 04-10-2008 at 10:56 AM.
    Tim Naylor
    Directing site: www.tsnaylor.com
    DP site: www.timnaylor.com
    NYC Director - Cinematographer

5. Collapse Details
    Very informative post Tim, have you by any chance had an opportunity to try out the MicroX? I've been basically sitting with my mouse pointer over the "Add to cart" button for the past couple of days, but now I'm second guessing myself due to the whole light loss issue. Any input?
    Patrick McEnaney

6. Collapse Details
    Great information Tim. I was looking at either the LEX or SGPro and decided to go with the SGPro because I liked the "look" of the image the best. But I does look like I may have some lighting challenges ahead of me. We shall see when I get it in the mail in a few weeks.
    :: Jeremy Tuttle of DTC Productions ::

:: DVXUSER Dramafest Entry - At the Park ::

7. Collapse Details
    Tim,

This is the first I've heard from anyone about the SG Flip.
    I try to watch these boards often and have been waiting to get a review of the SGFlip in action. Have I just missed it or what?

I have just assumed it would be like the Letus flip since at least at first they were making it - don't know if they still are. It sounds like Wayne has been working on an EX-1 fix which at least implies to me that he didn't get a fix from Letus.

Can you just give a little capsule here or point me in the direction of a thread that discusses it?

What I'd like to know is:

1. How is the sharpness and can you zoom in on it and can you get full SLR format?

2. How is the lightloss?

3. Is Letus still making it?

Lenny Levy

8. Collapse Details
    I still love my letus flip..

Since I discovered the Neat Video plug in, it makes my video look just as amazing as if i shot with a redrock.

Seriously get a Letus, and get Neat Video. Once you know how to use the plug in, you'll be amazed at the results.
    Wilma, I promise you; whatever scum did this, not one man on this force will rest one minute before until he's behind bars. Now, let's grab a bite to eat. - Naked Gun: From the Files of Police Squad

9. Collapse Details
    I've been really impressed with the Neat Video plug-in when I've tested it, but I need a Mac version (AE, FCP, doesn't really matter) to use it in my everyday workflow. They say they're working on it so hopefully it'll be out soon. I think it blows away all the other noise reduction plug-ins I've seen (Re:vision De:noise etc).

As for the main topic of this thread, the only thing that would motivate me to sell my SGpro was if I acquired a Red, or perhaps a Scarlet... otherwise it's tops.
    Check out my short films on Vimeo

10. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Lenilenapi View Post
    Tim,

This is the first I've heard from anyone about the SG Flip.
    I try to watch these boards often and have been waiting to get a review of the SGFlip in action. Have I just missed it or what?

I have just assumed it would be like the Letus flip since at least at first they were making it - don't know if they still are. It sounds like Wayne has been working on an EX-1 fix which at least implies to me that he didn't get a fix from Letus.

Can you just give a little capsule here or point me in the direction of a thread that discusses it?

What I'd like to know is:

1. How is the sharpness and can you zoom in on it and can you get full SLR format?

2. How is the lightloss?

3. Is Letus still making it?

Lenny Levy
    Hi Lenny,

There were a few restrictions that we had no control over using the letus flip module on the SGpro. The provided achromat did not provide optimal results and the gate was small therefore not really relaying 36x24mm. Also, communication with them was always very slow, usually a week to get a response, late delivery on flip modules, alot of which had the screws missing which hold the lid for the prism housing - not good.

Although we have been very greatful to the guys for providing us a solution, it is the above shortcomings that have forced us to produce our own flip module, consisting of our own achromat and other optics.

We have also had a 4 day hire of the EX1 last weekend to test our ex1 fix with our new flip module - we are really excited about the results! I wanted to get footage online tonight, however my main editing PC is having problems, and the thing powers down when i try to render out of premiere, I think it is overheating. Will sort something out soon!!!
    Thanks,
    Wayne Kinney - Managing Director - Budget Camera Gear Ltd
    ------------
    www.budgetcameragear.com

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast