1. Collapse Details
    The Dead Outside/ XH-A1 Feature
    Hi all- just finished principle photography on our scottish thriller/horror feature, "The Dead Outside"

http://blog.thedeadoutside.co.uk
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1206082/

Shot with XH-A1, Brevis, Nikon Primes, SG Follow Focus, Liliput 7" 800x480 TFT, Noga arm, cavision baseplate, custom carbon rails, 74Wh 12V Lithium battery for monitor, formatt fm-500 matte box, simple set of 52mm filters (all my primes are 52mm)-- Hoya ND2x, Hoya ND4x, Tiffen UltraCon 3.

Will keep you posted, particularly when we get as far as releasing stills, etc.

Kris
    www.mothcatcher.co.uk Mothcatcher/ The Hold, Edinburgh, UK

2. Collapse Details
    Did you find the lilliput perfect for focusing? What batteries did you use to power it, doesn't the vga to component converter need to be powered separately from the monitor? So that would be two lithium batteries used? Any clear shots of the finished rig?

Sorry for all the questions but I've got almost the same gear (as you know) and I'm looking to grab one of those lilliput as well. What model lilliput was it?
    Why do there have to be puppets like Frank?
    My Twitter

3. Collapse Details
    Used composite, not vga. Focusing wasn't anywhere near as difficult as expected- practice, plus careful marking of points (i.e. while the actor is blocked, use focus assist and mark exact points on FF), has gotten us really good results. Don't get me wrong, there are minor slip-ups, but few and far between, and not outwith the expectations of what will be an edgy thriller/horror flick. If I was shooting something which had to be 'perfect' (all the time), you'd have to focus blind using the FF and rigid marks for actors, or go with a higher end monitoring solution. That said, the FF is more important IMHO, as the FF gets you bang on first time, while a higher res monitor will just leave you seeking for that bite all the time, and that seeking can be more objectionable than being minutely off in the first place. All in all, it worked real well. I also have a wireless video sending on the cam, powered from the same 12v lithium battery, which beams wireless video preview to a hand-held receiver that the director and script supr. would hold during takes and setups. The hand held receiver was just a 6" monitor, wireless video receiver, and 12v lithium pack, gaffer taped together in a block.

In this pic you can see the trailing female 12DC power connector-- I have a female-to-4x-male splitter, which supplies power to the monitor plus wireless transmitter (on back of rods). The lithium supply I carried in a jacket pocket, and clipped into this lead when I picked up the cam. Saved ~600g of weight, which made a difference on a 15 day shoot ..

4. Collapse Details
    sweet setup But what shoulder pad did you use?
    btw the feature looks awesome.

5. Collapse Details
    Shoulder pad is nothing fancy-- a computer gel mouse-mat, modded and taped/stitched so that it has velcro straps which grip onto the rails. I have a cavision shoulder pad, not fond of it, plus it's offset to the right, which is the opposite of what I need (monitor is on the left). custom pad worked real well, the only thing I can think would be better is the same thing but bigger (so that weight is distributed that little bit wider on the shoulder).

Kris

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by ecking View Post
    What model lilliput was it?
    I don't know- it's a black 7" wide, 800x480, vga/composite/audio input. no tuner/ arial

7. Collapse Details
    Looks like a good looking film you got there.

I shot my last film with that camera and the results are awesome (with letus extreme).

You're camera rig is definitly sick!
    Eric Piccoli
    Director, Editor and Storyboard artist.

My work:
    www.artstrokefilms.com

DVX100B + Brevis35 + Nikon 24mm, 50mm

8. Collapse Details
    nice....waiting for stills...