Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    35mm Adapter Comparison Table
    EDITED BY JACK TO ADD: Verify any information you see here by going to the manufacturer's website and/or emailing them before you make a purchase.

Looking to buy a new adapter soon and as you all know there are many great options out there now! Props to all of the awesome guys out there making affordable gear for the rest of us.

I made a table to break down some of the differences, as I saw them, to help me with a decision. Of course the adapter I finally picked is the one whose image I like the best, but tallying up the numbers/facts never hurts. Maybe this will help someone else out there.

Last edited by Jared Meyer; 03-07-2008 at 12:44 PM.

2. Collapse Details
    I think some of the info is off. For example, the M2 loses considerably more than 2/3 stops of light. My guess would be closer to 1.5 stops; I know that light loss was a major issue when I used the M2, not so much the Letus. Plus the M2 has a hardmount as well as softmount option. Redrock's MicroX flip unit has already been announced as ready for shipping, and I think you should include that as well since you already did it for the SGpro and Brevis flip units.

With the Letus Extreme you do not "need" a rail system, but one is essential anyway. The unit itself is fairly heavy, and I certainly would not trust my camera thread to hold under that kind of weight. I didn't even use the Letus until I got my rod system.

And I'm not sure why you put "Warranty/Support" only for the M2 and not for any of the other three manufacturers. Letus I know for a fact gives excellent technical support (including a 1 year warranty) and I'm sure that Brevis and SGpro are the same.
    "Local studio seeking young female actresses for short film in which they definitely will NOT be killed. Lack of identifying scars, dental records, or concerned family a plus. Payment to be discussed after shooting...uh...filming."

www.hiddendreamsmedia.com

3. Collapse Details
    By the way as Brevis shows no difference in light loss till the f4-f5.6 range you can get really nice filmic-bokeh at f4 and really sharp images with most SLR lenses - that could be considered an advantage I guess.
    Plus the Field Of View (Crop factor) issue with SLR vs Cine lenses.

T

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Toenis View Post
    Plus the Field Of View (Crop factor) issue with SLR vs Cine lenses.
    I wasn't aware that this is an issue for any adapter. There is a crop factor only in the sense that for wider lenses it's necessary to zoom in more to avoid vignetting, but this has more to do with the lens themselves than with the adapter design. Otherwise it's quite possible to attain a full 35mm Academy FOV with SLR lenses.
    "Local studio seeking young female actresses for short film in which they definitely will NOT be killed. Lack of identifying scars, dental records, or concerned family a plus. Payment to be discussed after shooting...uh...filming."

www.hiddendreamsmedia.com

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Huy Vu View Post
    I think some of the info is off. For example, the M2 loses considerably more than 2/3 stops of light.
    Redrock doesn't advertise the amount of light loss anywhere that I could find so I based it on this this.

Plus the M2 has a hardmount as well as softmount option.
    Yeah, but it's an extra option. Just for simplicity's sake I compared each company's basic image flip package, no other extras.

Redrock's MicroX flip unit has already been announced as ready for shipping, and I think you should include that as well since you already did it for the SGpro and Brevis flip units.
    I did, it's there. But as far as I know it's not included in the standard $1370 Redrock package. The other three companies all include the flip module for the prices I listed.

With the Letus Extreme you do not "need" a rail system, but one is essential anyway. The unit itself is fairly heavy, and I certainly would not trust my camera thread to hold under that kind of weight. I didn't even use the Letus until I got my rod system.
    You're right, I was probably thinking about the lighter Letus when I wrote that. I'll change it.

And I'm not sure why you put "Warranty/Support" only for the M2 and not for any of the other three manufacturers. Letus I know for a fact gives excellent technical support (including a 1 year warranty) and I'm sure that Brevis and SGpro are the same.
    Yeah I knew from the get go that I wasn't really interested in the Redrock..for me it was a choice between the other 3. Honestly nothing about it appeals to me. It's more expensive, it's large and kind of clunky, takes longer to set up, there's no flip, the image has never thrilled me...So I couldn't think of any other advantage other than that Redrock is a larger and more established company with good support. And I didn't want to leave it blank. I'm anal-retentive that way when I'm making a spreadsheet, ha ha.
    Last edited by Jared Meyer; 02-29-2008 at 04:44 AM.

6. Collapse Details
    Heh!

Something got to be wrong here..

I am almost 100% sure that SGpro loses less light than Redrockmicro M2..

7. Collapse Details
    Bronze Member
    Q6: Does the SGpro loose light?
    A6: Yes, all 35mm adapters/converters loose light, some more than others. The SGpro loses only 1 stop of light. This is without the 35mm lens attached. The 35mm lens will lose some additional light; this is determined by the lenses 'F' rating.
    Back to top.

with flip, it loses another .2 of a stop. that's 1.2 stops for the sgpro w/out the light u lose from the lenses.

8. Collapse Details
    Still Alive Mod Jack Daniel Stanley's Avatar
    I have never heard of DUST being a problem with the extreme. It is a TANK and you couldn't possibly have a better build quality. That should probably go off your chart. The EX is a metal beast and just as airtight etc as any other adapter. The dust problem you are reffering to is a letus trade off in models OTHER THAN the extreme.
    JACKDANIELSTANLEY.COM
    FREE AWARD-WINNING MOSTLY-HORROR SHORTS FROM
    DVXUSER, TRIBECA, SLAMDANCE, SXSW, TORONTO AFTER DARK, AND MORE...

9. Collapse Details
    Thanks Jack. I'll change it.

10. Collapse Details
    I just want to point out that the SGpro flip module bundle is $1,090

Including rods support and Nikon mount it is $1,378
    Thanks,
    Wayne Kinney - Managing Director - Budget Camera Gear Ltd
    ------------
    www.budgetcameragear.com

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast