Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Still Alive Mod Jack Daniel Stanley's Avatar
    I don't think this is an endemic problem once you get your letus and are using it. And not one that needs to be on the list. You got one that got dust in it while being made. Not because it is poorly sealed or more prone than any other adapter. How did the other people get dust in theirs?

If some people come in here and say I used my extreme in a dusty basement and the next day it was full of dust then yeah sure lets put it on the list. No adapter should come from the manufacturer with dust in it, so you just got a bad one I think.

Of course as soon as you say it's not a problem someone will show up that's had the problem

Always works that way.
    JACKDANIELSTANLEY.COM
    FREE AWARD-WINNING MOSTLY-HORROR SHORTS FROM
    DVXUSER, TRIBECA, SLAMDANCE, SXSW, TORONTO AFTER DARK, AND MORE...

2. Collapse Details
    Filmmaker's Mod
    The only time I had dust in my Letus was when I opened it. My fault.

It's not some major issue that everyone is experiencing. And, it's no more prone to dust than the SGpro or anything else. Just ask the guy who posted up footage with a hair on his SGpro unit.

3. Collapse Details
    Hey Leni - light loss on the chart is just based on the manufacturer's specs as Jack recognized. I don't see a better way to present it in a concise manner and you're right, people are always going to argue about it. This is just a quickie comparison. One of the benefits, I think, is that it shows how incredibly competitive all of the offerings are with each other, down to the dollar.

I'm happy to continue updating the chart until we reach something that everyone agrees is accurate...(ha ha, but I think we can get there) I don't think I'll have time today though.

I'm not sure what to do about the pros/cons rows though. Everyone has had different problems with one or the other. I think it should be there, because obviously none of these adaptors is perfect...feel free to post your thoughts as to a better way to present the pros and cons for any or all of these adaptors.

4. Collapse Details
    The manufacturers specs are simply not reliable and seem to be based on all kinds of odd methods of determining light loss. I don't want to criticize any particular manufacturers out there, but even posting those numbers can be very misleading. And numbers posted here get tossed around as gospel all over the place.

The Redrock numbers in particular are just way off - I bought my unit expecting a 2/3 loss.

Lenny Levy
    Last edited by Lenilenapi; 02-29-2008 at 03:33 PM.

5. Collapse Details
    Still Alive Mod Jack Daniel Stanley's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jared Meyer View Post
    ...I'm happy to continue updating the chart until we reach something that everyone agrees is accurate... (ha ha, but I think we can get there)
    No we'll never get there. That's why it should be based on manufacturer specs. Unless Lenli or whoever else disagrees with the specs wants to offer warranties on the specs they provide. DVXuser will not garauntee these adapters will or won't perform any certain way or not. And neither can or should any member. Only the manufacturer will give someone their money back if the customer gets the product and feel it is not as represented by the manufacturer. Having a quick reference list of manufacturer specs is handy (with the disclaimer to check anything posted here with the manufacturer before buying).
    JACKDANIELSTANLEY.COM
    FREE AWARD-WINNING MOSTLY-HORROR SHORTS FROM
    DVXUSER, TRIBECA, SLAMDANCE, SXSW, TORONTO AFTER DARK, AND MORE...

6. Collapse Details
    By the way I don't what proportion of people have dust in their Letus's but I don't think the issue with either Brevis or Letus is going into a dusty room, its just the fact that vibrators are more prone to dust. Both are supposedly manufactured in dust proof rooms. Brevis of course suggests that you change screens and thus open it - so at that point it would be more prone to dust, but it might be then be easier to clean - don't know about how hard the Letus is to open though.
    But obviously neither can really be certain that a piece of dust won't appear some day.

Lenny
    Last edited by Jack Daniel Stanley; 02-29-2008 at 11:53 PM. Reason: pruning thread down

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Daniel Stanley View Post
    No we'll never get there.
    Yeah on second thought you're right Jack. I'm updating it right now. Removed the pros/cons. For now it'll just be a quickie cheat sheet for comparison of manufacturer's specs and pricing.

Sound off if you see something that doesn't look right.

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by ecking View Post
    I don't remember the brevis rails being 350, more like 279 for the longest ones.
    The $350 is the cheaper (shorter) of the two that you can add while on the ordering page - it includes the brevis to rails support.

9. Collapse Details
    If its just manufacturers specs all the info about bokeh and advantages and disadvantages has to go though.

- Lenny

10. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Lenilenapi View Post
    If its just manufacturers specs all the info about bokeh and advantages and disadvantages has to go though.

- Lenny
    One step ahead ahead of you, Leni Read my posts above and check the updated chart.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast