Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Hi Wayne, when I made as if to place an order for the SGpro flip module bundle, I used the total, which included the $140 shipping. That's where I got the $1200 from. My mistake. The other prices I listed don't include shipping costs, so I'll change it.

2. Collapse Details
    Keep the bit about needing rods for the LEX. YOU NEED THEM. Sure you can mount it without it. But since its weight puts your camera's lens in peril - you need rods. I'd feel safer going rodless with my SG.

Anyway, it's a good table and perhaps it can be used a sticky down the road. Warranty/Return policy should be up there for all. Also, perhaps add a column about whether the GG is sealed or not, achromat optimization for the EX1, and construction.

Nice work.
    Tim Naylor
    Directing site: www.tsnaylor.com
    DP site: www.timnaylor.com
    NYC Director - Cinematographer

3. Collapse Details
    Thanks Tim! Yeah, I didn't realize/had forgotten how heavy the LEX is. I'll leave it as a rod mandatory adapter on the chart. I'd like to have the adapter weights up there too but I haven't found all of them yet.

Good ideas, I'll try to add the extra rows.

4. Collapse Details
    Still Alive Mod Jack Daniel Stanley's Avatar
    Nice chart Jared, I'm sure many will find it useful.

Keep updating it and I'll sticky it
    JACKDANIELSTANLEY.COM
    FREE AWARD-WINNING MOSTLY-HORROR SHORTS FROM
    DVXUSER, TRIBECA, SLAMDANCE, SXSW, TORONTO AFTER DARK, AND MORE...

5. Collapse Details
    portability
    Not sure if this is the right spot for this but since the thread is comparing adapters which ones lend themselves for handheld. I realize the Brevis might be the obvious choice due to weight but has anyone had decent success off of a tripod, rails and all with any of the other adapters?

I'm leaning towards the Letus EX, but it may be the heaviest of the bunch. I just wouldn't mind the option to go handheld but its not my top priority.

Thanks,

Tai

6. Collapse Details
    The idea of this chart is great but if its going to be a sticky it needs to be accurate and the light loss information is way off in my experience. It spreads disinformation.

I've written a lot about this. The problem with making light loss info a sticky is that people are still arguing about it. Additionally any light loss information has to take into account the f stop of the 35mm lens.

My experience is that the the Brevis is probably slightly the fastest at f1.4 (.5 - .7) and much faster @ f2.8 (still .5 - 7) , Letus and the SG are very similar (.7 - 1.2 at f1.4 only), and the Redrock loses much more light .

Jared, did you base this information on actual personal experience and face to face comparisons. or just on what you've read on the boards. The latter can be very inaccurate. As an example - "Jack" earlier says that dust is never a problem with the extreme and you said you would change it - but people have posted here with dust problems in their Letus Extremes. I don't thinks setup on the Redrock is so hard by the way.

I think it would be an interesting idea to consider modifying this though getting consensus would be hard and it would need to be modified often.

As for Bokeh - "adaptery" - what does that mean exactly.
    DOF could be added as well as amount it diffuses highlights.

Lenny Levy
    Last edited by Lenilenapi; 02-29-2008 at 01:02 PM.

7. Collapse Details
    To see what my fairly exacting exposure tests indicated look here

http://www.leonardlevy.net/Adapter_s...ster_Final.htm

to summarize - to reach a 90 IRE exposure on the test chart ( These numbers are only approximations - all with a Nikon 50mm f1.4 on an HVX wide open unless its says 2.8)

HVX no adapter - 12FC
    Brevis w/ flip CF1L - 20 FC
    Brevis w/ flip CF1L Nikon at 2.8 - 20FC
    Letus - 24FC
    Letus Nikon @ 2.8 - 38FC

SGPro (Rev 2 should be same as Rev3) - 32FC
    SGPro w/ Brevis Flip - 24FC
    SGPro w/ Brevis Flip , Nikon @ f2.8 - 34FC

The reading for the SG without the flip seems a little illogical so I will try to double check it when I get a chance.
    My memory of the Redrock was even more than 2 stops loss, but that's a guess only.

Lenny Levy

8. Collapse Details
    Still Alive Mod Jack Daniel Stanley's Avatar
    I'm fine with this being a list of manufacturer specs. If you buy an adapter and it's not up to the specs the manufacturer lists (not this thread in other words) then return it.

Verify any information you see here by going to the manufacturer's website and/or emailing them before you make a purchase.

Having said that I will add a note to the first post and unsticky this for the time being until the chart has had time to be checked by members and manufacturers.

If you know about these adapters and see inaccuracies chime in as others have.
    JACKDANIELSTANLEY.COM
    FREE AWARD-WINNING MOSTLY-HORROR SHORTS FROM
    DVXUSER, TRIBECA, SLAMDANCE, SXSW, TORONTO AFTER DARK, AND MORE...

9. Collapse Details
    I don't remember the brevis rails being 350, more like 279 for the longest ones.
    Why do there have to be puppets like Frank?
    My Twitter

10. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Daniel Stanley View Post
    I have never heard of DUST being a problem with the extreme. It is a TANK and you couldn't possibly have a better build quality. That should probably go off your chart. The EX is a metal beast and just as airtight etc as any other adapter. The dust problem you are reffering to is a letus trade off in models OTHER THAN the extreme.
    Im sorry but this is NOT TRUE.

Dust CAN be an issue for the Letus Extreme, and believe me, if you are unlucky enough to have dust in your unit, you have to send it back to Letus to have it cleaned out (on your dime)

Im not the only one (though there werent too many that Im aware of) that had dust in their extreme.
    Mine was delivered that way. Dusty and hairy as heck INSIDE the unit.

That being said~ I LOVE my Extreme and am on course to buy a 2nd one soon !

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast