Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Kholi View Post
    If I recall right, we did that with horror fest and it actually made some people mad.

Didn't turn out to be a good thing but I may be remembering wrong.
    And I think I remember the HVX being up for grabs added to that tension, causing folks to become pretty hostile....

2. Collapse Details
    Agreed, but the prizes this time around aren't very much less. They're just as good and I think the hostility will return just as much if it's released. I still think releasing it to the filmmakers is in a way making it public...I don't see how we can benefit from it as much as everyone thinks. How would it make a filmmaker feel if he or she or their production team didn't get ANY votes, or placed dead last in almost 50 films. Maybe top 5/6 or MAX 10 would be beneficial, but nothing more.

-Kegan
    "I dream for a living" - Steven Spielberg

IMDb Page

www.kegansant.com

3. Collapse Details
    if we're going to take hurt feelings into account, there should not be a vote at all. there is certain to be 45 or so disappointed filmmakers. but as in life, there are going to be winners and losers defined on the realities of skill, talent, personality, popularity, marketing and brown-nosing.

but even so, it's always the people who don't come in on top that have the opportunity to learn something from their intended audience, if they are smart and attentive. and these hard numbers (which again, should only be shared with filmmakers requesting it) offer a unique insight into how successful their entry was in inspiring "a vote" -- something that differs greatly from simply drawing praise.
    Last edited by Zak Forsman; 02-23-2008 at 03:44 PM.
    DOWN AND DANGEROUS is now on iTunes :: A smuggler bleeds like anyone else. He just gets more chances to prove it.
    THE SABI COMPANY :: FACEBOOK :: TWITTER :: IMDB :: #DADmovie

4. Collapse Details
    More Cowbell Pictures Michael Anthony Horrigan's Avatar
    Well, I'm not sure if all 50 places need to be shown but I think at least the top 5. Top 10 would be ideal.

If you don't make the top 10... you know you have some work to do, but you don't need to know exactly how much.

MONSTERFEST : 4th Place - Sustained Excellence Award - WESTFEST: 3rd Place - THRILLFEST: 3rd Place

5. Collapse Details
    Silent Bob's Evil Twin Dustin R. Rogan's Avatar
    i was thinking like zach, if maybe I could PM festmaster, and then to see after results of next fest in comparison how I did...make sense?
    DVXuser Entries
    Secret Admiration | Given | Redemption | Invaild Directive | The Dustin Rogan Project | The Five Worst Days in the Life of Bartholmeow Saxton | Sleep Walk | Melody for Alleyraine | The Gift | Polly | Mundane | Beans

6. Collapse Details
    If you don't win you don't win. What's the point of finding out you came in 15th? Or 20th? Should we make this American Idol? Ok the top 24. Now we are down to 12.

Do they announce the 10th place vote getter for the Oscars? The top three and the panel awards should be good enough.

7. Collapse Details
    Yeah, I'm with you Kegan.... We now live in a time where "everyone is a winner," and everyone on the team gets a trophy.

Its great that we can take time to recognize each other's work; this is a great community. But that's not how the real world works.

Many of us would never be involved in the level of participation we are here at Dvxuser any where else. And the reason we are here is because we love what we do. We shouldn't be making films to get a pat on the back... There are much more cost effective, and less time consuming ways to do that.

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Anthony Horrigan View Post
    Well, I'm not sure if all 50 places need to be shown but I think at least the top 5. Top 10 would be ideal.

If you don't make the top 10... you know you have some work to do, but you don't need to know exactly how much.
    i don't think any ranking should be shown publicly. that's about satisfying ego for the filmmakers that did well. and will cause problems. i'm talking about giving the filmmakers access to data that could be useful to their development as filmmakers trying to connect with an audience in a meaningful way.

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Lewis View Post
    Many of us would never be involved in the level of participation we are here at Dvxuser any where else. And the reason we are here is because we love what we do. We shouldn't be making films to get a pat on the back... There are much more cost effective, and less time consuming ways to do that.
    again, getting a "pat on the back" isn't why i'm hoping to have access to the numbers. that would be about satisfying one's ego and ego is dangerous. so that's why i'd prefer that NO RANKING BE PUBLICLY POSTED.... just that the entrants have private access to the data if they have a use for it.
    Last edited by Zak Forsman; 02-23-2008 at 03:28 PM.
    DOWN AND DANGEROUS is now on iTunes :: A smuggler bleeds like anyone else. He just gets more chances to prove it.
    THE SABI COMPANY :: FACEBOOK :: TWITTER :: IMDB :: #DADmovie

9. Collapse Details
    Silent Bob's Evil Twin Dustin R. Rogan's Avatar
    i think an innocent question is being blown outta proportion...I meant for data to be privately shown to filmmakers not publically...dang. To those whom want to know...not a mandatory showing of it
    DVXuser Entries
    Secret Admiration | Given | Redemption | Invaild Directive | The Dustin Rogan Project | The Five Worst Days in the Life of Bartholmeow Saxton | Sleep Walk | Melody for Alleyraine | The Gift | Polly | Mundane | Beans

10. Collapse Details
    I get where you're coming from Zak, but isn't that what the individual film threads were for.... everyone's comments are far more valuable to me than a ranking

Dustin, I think we're all just passionate about the topic, I don't think anyone toes have been stepped on yet.. I hope

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast