Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

1. Collapse Details
    Lovefest Downloads
    The whole "online" aspect of the fests poses a huge amount of work for all of the behind the scenes folks, Larry, Jason, Barry et al. and I think they've done a fantastic job. Huge kudos and thanks for all of their hard work.

I hope this doesn't seem like complaining - but I had a few thoughts about the download experience this time around in the hopes that the system can improve in the future. (Which it obviously has and will continue to do.)

For some reason I had a really difficult time downloading the films this fest. None of the zipped files every worked for me since I started trying on day one. They still don't, as of right now. Also, a large number if not the majority of the films would not download correctly. I've had to download 25 or so a second and then sometimes a third time to get a complete working file.

Lastly - is there any way that in the future, we could get the direct links to the files all on the main Lovefest viewing page? Maybe I'm just lazy/impatient (ok, yes and yes ) but it takes FOREVER to enter each page, wait for the download to initiate, verify that it's actually downloading, go back to the main page, find the next one, 50+ times.

I'm not sure how this compares to everyone else's experience and forgive me if this has already been mentioned or acknowledged.....just wanted to throw it out there.

Thanks DVXuser and members for some of the best viewing entertainment on the web!!!

2. Collapse Details
    Boring Senior Member ilauzirika's Avatar
    First, I have to say thanks to all the hard workers that make this possible, I'm really having a great time watching all this great films.

talking about problems, I also had to download some films 3 times and none of the zips worked for me.

Anyway the downloading time was worth it.

congratulations to everyone for the great work!!!
    Iņaki Lauzirika
    My Dreamstime profile
    IMDB page
    Panasonic HMC151 #302

3. Collapse Details
    Hey guys - sorry that you had trouble with the downloads ... I have to say, I'm puzzled as to what the issue may be. I have been unable to recreate any of the download issues presented by the handful of folks that indicated they were having them.

That said, I'm very sensitive to the annoyance level when things don't work right and require extra effort to get what your after. That was the impetus for creating this system in the first place, to make things easier for everyone. I will definitely continue to look into the issue and hope to find some resolution, and appreciate your patience as we continue to grow/build this system.

It makes sense that selecting a film, waiting for the download then going back and starting the process all over for the next is a difficult, time consuming process. Some of that stems from the way we have to manipulate the pages in order to trigger the forced download. However, that said, there are definitely some things that can be done to improve the overall experience, and prevent some of the unnecessary steps (going back to the list, etc) that I will work on implementing for the next go around.

Regarding the zips ... I have heard a lot of people indicating problems downloading them, more so than the individual files. Again, I am able to download them fine, so can not reproduce the issue. But that said, they are considerably larger than the individual files and therein may lie the problem. It takes a considerably longer amount of time to process/transfer a file of that size, my guess is the connection(s) time out sometime during the connection, though I'm not sure exactly why.

The zips was a trial this time around to see if they would improve the overall process, but will definitely require some additional attention before attempting again.

I'd like to thank everyone, here and in other threads/PMs, for the heads up on issues and thanks for the patience in working with us through the issues. Hopefully you were ultimately able to download all the films and will honestly and fairly vote for your favorite entries: http://www.dvxfest.com/vote.php

Peace,
    Larry

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry R View Post
    Hey guys - sorry that you had trouble with the downloads ... I have to say, I'm puzzled as to what the issue may be. I have been unable to recreate any of the download issues presented by the handful of folks that indicated they were having them.

That said, I'm very sensitive to the annoyance level when things don't work right and require extra effort to get what your after. That was the impetus for creating this system in the first place, to make things easier for everyone. I will definitely continue to look into the issue and hope to find some resolution, and appreciate your patience as we continue to grow/build this system.

It makes sense that selecting a film, waiting for the download then going back and starting the process all over for the next is a difficult, time consuming process. Some of that stems from the way we have to manipulate the pages in order to trigger the forced download. However, that said, there are definitely some things that can be done to improve the overall experience, and prevent some of the unnecessary steps (going back to the list, etc) that I will work on implementing for the next go around.

Regarding the zips ... I have heard a lot of people indicating problems downloading them, more so than the individual files. Again, I am able to download them fine, so can not reproduce the issue. But that said, they are considerably larger than the individual files and therein may lie the problem. It takes a considerably longer amount of time to process/transfer a file of that size, my guess is the connection(s) time out sometime during the connection, though I'm not sure exactly why.

The zips was a trial this time around to see if they would improve the overall process, but will definitely require some additional attention before attempting again.

I'd like to thank everyone, here and in other threads/PMs, for the heads up on issues and thanks for the patience in working with us through the issues. Hopefully you were ultimately able to download all the films and will honestly and fairly vote for your favorite entries: http://www.dvxfest.com/vote.php

Peace,
    Larry
    Heya Larry

The error with the zips was unique to just the zips. I tried them every couple days and only every got directed to a blank white page with an error message to the effect of : the file does not exist. Just so you know that (at least from my end) it never looked like the issue had to do with the size.

But, whatever you just did fixed it for me and I am now downloading the first zipped package.

Hope that helps a little with your trial and error. I can't imagine how you put this all together. You are a whiz, sir and I salute you! I'm not a diehard web guy but if there's anything I can ever do to help out...I'd be more than willing.

5. Collapse Details
    DVXFest Promo Guru Rodney V. Smith's Avatar
    maybe an FTP system next time that allows only downloads? Most browsers can handle an FTP download link so that may help the process instead of a failed http link.

Rodney Smith - Flyin' Monkey Films
    Writer/Director/Cinematographer
    Website | IMDB Link | Web Series
    HVX200, Brevis35+Flip, Glidecam V-8

6. Collapse Details
    We have considered direct FTP access in the past, and continue to do so. The chalenge there is that it becomes impossible to load-balance across multiple servers if you are using direct FTP.

I'm curious as to how many people also where able to succesfully download zip files?

- Mikko
    Mikko Wilson
    Steadicam Owner / Operator - Juneau, Alaska, USA
    +1 (907) 321-8387 - mikkowilson@hotmail.com - www.mikkowilson.com

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by mikkowilson View Post
    I'm curious as to how many people also where able to succesfully download zip files?

- Mikko
    I was able to download the zip files with no problems. Well, one problem...one of the movies had a problem but I went back and downloaded its individual file and all was good.

8. Collapse Details
    DVXFest Promo Guru Rodney V. Smith's Avatar
    all of the zip files failed for me. "Where the Heart Lies" is still giving trouble, only downloading 20MB of the whole file.

Rodney Smith - Flyin' Monkey Films
    Writer/Director/Cinematographer
    Website | IMDB Link | Web Series
    HVX200, Brevis35+Flip, Glidecam V-8

9. Collapse Details
    Ok, I went through the system again and identified an issue that could potentially cause problems with the zip downloads. That issue has been addressed, if you could please try downloading one or more of the zips and let me know if you meet with success or failure, it would be greatly appreciated.

I had no problem with WTHL, but will double check the mirrors.

10. Collapse Details
    Nosey Penguin
    Thanks Larry! The zips work for me now. Still having an issue with some of the individual films, though, such as only being able to download a small portion of it. I will keep trying.

Thanks to everyone for a great fest and great films! A lot of work went into this and I want you all to know it is greatly appreciated!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast