Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    I set my browser to d/l the zips and came back an hour later with all of them sitting perfectly on my HDD. I LOVED this system.

I don't really see a benefit for each film on the list to have it's own page, especially since they don't all really tell us anything. If we want to show off a poster we have the individual thread forum. Same goes with the tag line and camera used. If that list, instead of taking us to another page, was just the DL link that would be sweet. I am guessing you all are doing forced d/l to throttle bandwidth but can this be done by click in a link (I am assuming yes)?

Thank you all very much for all the work you guys have done. Best fest ever!

2. Collapse Details
    Snap! What kind of connection you got over there William? That's a lot of downloading in not a lot of time

And, yes, the individual page is a part of the force download system, but that will be improved next go around. Already have some ideas and some test code as a result of this thread.

3. Collapse Details
    You just amaze me, Larry, with your constant improvements, attention to detail and your sensitivity to everyone's enjoyment. It is really refreshing.

Keep up the great work. It is really paying off with a great festival!

-Ted

4. Collapse Details
    I'm just on regular old broadband from my local cable provider. Surfing isn't lighting speed but whenever i d/l something it happens in a flash. I was averaging over 1.5mbps on these folders IIRC. Anyway, PLEASE keep the bulk d/l system. I love the set and forget.

5. Collapse Details
    Nosey Penguin ConspiracyPenguin's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry R View Post
    If you have a problem with a download, it would help great if you could grab two pieces of information and send to me.

1. The film name
    2. The mirror being accessed - if you move your mouse pointer over the "click here to download" link and look in your browsers status bar it will tell you the link. I just need the "www.something.com" part

Thanks,
    Larry
    Thanks Larry, but when I tried it for the third time it downloaded like clockwork. If you still want to know the mirror, let me know and I'll go get it. Thanks again!
    - Nick | My DVXuser Blog (This is a secret message).

Quote Originally Posted by Raptor365 View Post
    I, like most dvxusers, enjoy Penguin's company in the threads, and his refreshing attitude and humour.
    Also, because behind all the fun, the guy means biz and actually has a bit of talent...

6. Collapse Details
    if the zip system seems to be stable (and can be improved) i think it's vastly superior to individual downloads. besides the obvious reason of efficiency it also makes sure that folks at least have all the shorts on their computer - this, i think, would increase the chance of all the shorts being watched!

love the setup, it's been a blast. thanks to all of you behind the scenes keeping the fest going and making this one of the most valuable experiences i've had as a filmmaker!

edit: i didn't have any issues with the zip, but was referring to the intermittent problems others seemed to have!
    Last edited by Cliff Wildman; 02-21-2008 at 02:03 PM.
    "Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you fall into an open sewer and die." -mel brooks

7. Collapse Details
    Nosey Penguin ConspiracyPenguin's Avatar
    I too love the idea of the zips. Extremely efficient, especially now that they work for me!
    - Nick | My DVXuser Blog (This is a secret message).

Quote Originally Posted by Raptor365 View Post
    I, like most dvxusers, enjoy Penguin's company in the threads, and his refreshing attitude and humour.
    Also, because behind all the fun, the guy means biz and actually has a bit of talent...

8. Collapse Details
    Yea, I understand the preference for the zips from a viewer standpoint, but it is quite a bit more work on the back end. So, it will be necessary to keep the individual downloads as well, as some of the films may get updated/fixed along the way and so it will be necessary to re-download those via the individual rather than try to update the zip and push it to all the mirrors and then have everyone re-download the whole zip for one file.

Quote Originally Posted by ConspiracyPenguin
    Thanks Larry, but when I tried it for the third time it downloaded like clockwork. If you still want to know the mirror, let me know and I'll go get it. Thanks again!
    No need ... it was more of a general statement. If anyone has an issue, those two pieces of information will make it easier for me to track down the issue, if there is one. I am working on some changes for next time that will make it easier to report issues like that.

Thanks,
    Larry

9. Collapse Details
    DVXFest Promo Guru Rodney V. Smith's Avatar
    http://www.dvbmusic.com/dvxuserfest/launch.php?id=90048
    "Where the Heart Lies"

still having issues with it and its the only one I havent seen all the way through

Rodney Smith - Flyin' Monkey Films
    Writer/Director/Cinematographer
    Website | IMDB Link | Web Series
    HVX200, Brevis35+Flip, Glidecam V-8

10. Collapse Details
    Thanks, I'll check into it.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast