Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Filmmaker's Mod
    I can only see using a 35mm adapter as a bad thing when you don't have a dedicated DP around or your own eye for composition and lighting.

If we were all shooting with film it would be the same thing. Only, you wouldn't have a choice.
    Comet Color Page
    Allow me: fanboy of great images.

2. Collapse Details
    haha! well, I employed an aggressive handheld approach AND gave it more than two seconds of thought as to why. pretty novel approach, right? you can read all about it here. making the assumption that handheld camerawork is just a "stylistic" choice and inherently lacks motivation is profoundly ignorant and presumptuous.
    DOWN AND DANGEROUS is now on iTunes :: A smuggler bleeds like anyone else. He just gets more chances to prove it.
    THE SABI COMPANY :: FACEBOOK :: TWITTER :: IMDB :: #DADmovie

3. Collapse Details
    Having watched almost all of them now, I really dont see a common look. Even with most using a 35mm adapter the looks all varied from clean and natural to gritty and heavily graded and everything in between. The handheld thing is interesting - I love the way it looks when it has a purpose. I think if IFHY was shot on a tripod with "classic" camera moves and was in focus the whole time the impact would be lost. With that handheld gritty in and out of focus feel I immediately felt how lost and desperate Ron was for this girl - to the point of being pretty sure Zak had spied on me in high school and had based this entire short on me. Talk about drawing you into the picture. Steady shots wouldn't have pulled it off and drug me in like that.

Then there's Bourne Identity handheld that works during the action sequences but it would be nice if they used a tripod during the production for some of the slower scenes. But this is all just what I think. And I sure as hell dont know what I'm talking about. Pulling off good handheld work that fits the story is just as hard if not harder in some cases than using camera supports and traditional camera moves. Now bad handheld work is just lazy

4. Collapse Details
    Well, the handheld is only distracting to me every once in a while. The crossing the line thing is a huge distraction and I noticed it in more films during this fest than many of the previous ones.

Just saying.

e
    Erik Olson

5. Collapse Details
    Filmmaker's Mod
    Y'know? There's a scene in NO RESERVATIONS ( Catherine Zeta Jones ) where the young girl and guy are making a certain dish together and it's ALL handheld.

Dutch angles, very excited camera movement. It made me go "damn that's nice".

Just a random thought about handheld.
    Comet Color Page

6. Collapse Details
    for the next fest i'm going to experiment with foot-held camerawork.... or maybe elbow-held.
    DOWN AND DANGEROUS is now on iTunes :: A smuggler bleeds like anyone else. He just gets more chances to prove it.
    THE SABI COMPANY :: FACEBOOK :: TWITTER :: IMDB :: #DADmovie

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Zak Forsman View Post
    for the next fest i'm going to experiment with foot-held camerawork.... or maybe elbow-held.
    Combine that with some kind of martial arts fighting and it'd be amazing.
    I invented the "remove echo" audio filter. And only people that boom their actors closely get to use it.

Alex Donkle - Sound Designer -

8. Collapse Details
    http://www.paragear.com/templates/pa...up=455&level=1
    Scroll down to shu-vue and bel-vue. The 35mm adapter might be a bit much for them, but an hv20 would be no problem at all.

9. Collapse Details
    I think Im a little more visionary than you Zac - Ive been getting fatter and fatter over the winter, so I can do a purely fat held shoot. Of course Ill be using a small format camera - hey maybe the scarlet will be the way to go. Just jam it between the folds. Just wait, this is stuff of the future.
    w: Noel Evans TV

e: noel@noelevans.tv
    p: +61 (0) 408 455 374

10. Collapse Details
    Filmmaker's Mod
    Anyone else notice that "Shawneous" abandoned the thread?
    Comet Color Page

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast