Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. Collapse Details
    Well he posted last night - there's that off chance he's working like I'm supposed to be doing...

2. Collapse Details
    Filmmaker's Mod
    I'm only messin'

3. Collapse Details
    Speaking of hand-held

I liked Luis's entry (Carry On).

He stuck to locked down, traditional compositions and only went to hand-held during the confrontation scene where the couple got very heated.

I found it to be very motivated and completely in serving of the subject matter.

A rarity.

4. Collapse Details
    I noticed a few unnecessary dolly moves and rack focuses. It comes with the territory a bit, especially for those with new equipment. I know I tend to over-use new techniques just so I get it out of my system... but also to really learn the do's and don'ts. Kind of like Photoshop newbies using Lens Flare in every picture (sweeeet).

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by shawneous View Post
    -35mm adaptor with tons of rack-focuses, half of which are un-motivated
    Definitely! Some people think every shot must be a rack focus. Or each shot must have very shallow DOF. I also 'like' when I see a completely pointless artistic shot that stands out, as they say, like dogs balls.

6. Collapse Details
    Burnin' down the House HDkilledFILM.'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R. Hudson View Post
    Speaking of hand-held

I liked Luis's entry (Carry On).

He stuck to locked down, traditional compositions and only went to hand-held during the confrontation scene where the couple got very heated.

I found it to be very motivated and completely in serving of the subject matter.

A rarity.
    I think that carry-on really shows that Luis is ready for the next level. It's hands down one of the best shorts I've seen in years.

On the other hand I have noticed that DVXuser look, ie: people are way better on these boards than the majority of the people I went to film school with (that was a bit of time ago now).

but still, say what you will about the look, but these films have got better in general.
    But I, being poor, have only my dreams; I have spread my dreams under your feet; Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.-William Butler Yeats

Check out my horror double feature HERE!!!

7. Collapse Details
    Senior Member Shawn Philip Nelson's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kholi View Post
    Anyone else notice that "Shawneous" abandoned the thread?
    Lol, not abandoned, just seeing what others say. I don't want to continue lest I be seen as "hashing" on others points. I just made a few points of people dog-piling on a certain look.

One of my top-three pics was "Remember When". I know some DVXUsers were dinging him for it, but I absolutely loved the simplistic beauty of his shots in the main dialogue scene, it felt very right.
    Formerly user 'shawneous'.

"Every great idea is on the verge of being stupid."
    -Michel Gondry

8. Collapse Details
    I will say that locally I know SEVERAL graduates of NYU Film School and they couldn't produce anything even remotely as good as the top 5 of any fest for a while now. I brought my laptop to a pre-pro meeting last week... loaded with the top 8 or so entries... and I presented that as a bundle that I call "the soul crusher".

Yes there is some "DVXuser look" going on... but overall I'd chalk it up to new toys. I'm not bothered by it for the most part... because for me there aren't many flicks that are helped or hurt by the use of toys. I always said that people will forgive weirdness in the picture before they'll accept problems in the sound... and I still feel that way... but if the writing and acting is really good then I don't even notice a ham-fisted DP exploring a DOF or new crane anyway.

I'll warn you that I built a little jib recently and I'm going to be Jibby McJibb on my upcoming short for JibFest.

:-)
    LIGHTING and SOUND AVAILABLE FOR DIGITAL DOWNLOAD OR ON DVD

LIGHTING for Film & Television DVD Excerpts Reel.................................................. ............................. SOUND for Film & Television DVD Excerpts Reel

9. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by MattinSTL View Post
    JibFest.

JibFest?

Now I have a REASON to build a jib-mount on my car.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123