Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Senior Member Matthew R. Rodwell's Avatar
    Great explanation Jack!

After watching all the submissions I must say that everyone did a fantastic job and stuck to the rules of the fest very well (if they didn't the mods would not have accepted the entry)

Love is an emotion that is interpreted differently by different people, it drives them to do things that a normal man or woman would ordinarily never do and sometimes that happens to be dark things.

I saw a lot of "outside the box" thinking in a lot of these films which was a great relief from the played out Hollywood love story.

2. Collapse Details
    Thank God there's only a few "romantic love" stories, or else you may have well called this "boringfest".

Personally I'm disappointed that nobody explored zombie love.

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by pmark23 View Post

Personally I'm disappointed that nobody explored zombie love.
    http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread.php?t=117595

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Wild Imagination Films View Post
    My question was about the films with infidelity and (in at least two of them) murder. Why, with so much talent and obvious ability on hand, did people chose these themes?
    You have a very narrow mind, in my opinion. In fact, the majority of relationships are characterized by dysfunction at times. The inherent power of "love" is what makes it often so dangerous and why so much abuse occurs. When the theme of this fest was announced I immediately was motivated to explore the darker side of love. I wasn't "like a little kid" trying to thumb my nose at the rules or hoping to push the envelope.

Your comment implies that adding infidelity and murder was improper and possibly a squandering of "talent and obvious ability." I, for one, would rather not sit through a cookie-cutter collection of films. With respect to our film, I think the last scene when the actress voices the words "I Love You" says it all. Love can be used to justify almost any act - however reprehensible. That, to me, is worthy of examination in any study of the concept called "love."

5. Collapse Details
    Well said Mark. The thing I've enjoyed most about watching the films is to see everyone's interpretation of the love theme. I've watched murders, breakups, reuniting, new beginnings that all had their roots in love. I'd hate to see 50 mushy movies where two people fall in love. If anything this is just a reminder that love comes in many forms and is a very complex emotion, not just some one dimensional flowers and chocolates I love you crap.

6. Collapse Details
    Just as a heads-up, some people might feel the need to respond not to your initial question, but to your implied slights:

We do tend to behave like little kids.
    You are using the word 'we', but you mean plural 'you' or "Y'all" as we say in the south. This is because you exclude yourself in the next line - where you also include the word 'we' when you mean 'you':

I guess we were all too cool to make one of those sappy love stories. (Obviously not meant for those of us who made sappy love stories)
    So, what I'm sure most people read that as was this:
    [[You]] (people who didn't stick to romantic love) do tend to behave like little kids.
    If you meant anything else, feel free to point out where my interpretation was wrong.

I only respond because you really need to realize that the words you are saying are demeaning. I don't mind demeaning language in princinple. I just want to make sure you realize that what you're saying completely qualifies as this, and this case is not the only example.
    -william

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Wild Imagination Films View Post
    Cheat, Whore, Kill, and Offend were all well represented. Love, however, was left out in the cold in most of what I watched. So My question is, if the Fest is about Love, then how can a film be considered eligible if the theme isn't met?

Apparently you haven't experienced the entire spectrum of love.

8. Collapse Details
    I thought the slate of films represented the wider definition of Love in a good way.

Think about the many questions left hanging out there at the end of Constance. She seems hung by her own hand - perhaps her true love is lying on the floor of that bar? His antagonist must, on some level, believe that he committed this crime as an act of love for her?

That is the connundrum of Love - in the real world, it defies conventional definition. Candy-coated isn't the only interpretation.

On that note, The Arrangement is in my final three. I thought the florist character was sincere and I fell for her - and for them. If I'm getting emotionally attached to the idea of their being together in less than six minutes, the storyteller has done something right.

Love means many things to many people. True Love is an emotion of perception. That is what these films are about - the viewer is removed from the emotion as objective observers. If the filmmaker draws us in to empathize, sympathize and even relate to the characters, then he has done his job.

e
    Erik Olson

9. Collapse Details
    We shot "I Love... Lamp... I Love Carpet" in only 2 weeks... but I just couldn't get it under 30 minutes.

Now THAT was a story about true, romantic love.

This has been one of my favorite Fests ever... hands down. I agree with most of the responses... especially "boring fest"... I'm glad that instead, we had more of the love-war thinking in the fest.
    LIGHTING and SOUND AVAILABLE FOR DIGITAL DOWNLOAD OR ON DVD

LIGHTING for Film & Television DVD Excerpts Reel.................................................. ............................. SOUND for Film & Television DVD Excerpts Reel

10. Collapse Details
    With regard to the issue of being narrow-minded, the author of this thread has announced that he will not vote for any film that uses the "f" word. If you don't like our film - fine. But to reserve your approval only to g-rated entries seems counterproductive to what these fests are supposedly about (i.e., film making)

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast