Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    this is an interesting topic, worthy of discussion. imo, i think the filmmakers looked for conflict, because out of that they knew they would find drama. was it all incredibly original? nope. did some latch onto clichés and obvious devices. a few. but were their characters still motivated by their want or need of love or a lack thereof. i think so. i really do. in every instance. it can't all be wedding cake, right?
    Last edited by Zak Forsman; 02-17-2008 at 02:41 AM.
    DOWN AND DANGEROUS is now on iTunes :: A smuggler bleeds like anyone else. He just gets more chances to prove it.
    THE SABI COMPANY :: FACEBOOK :: TWITTER :: IMDB :: #DADmovie

2. Collapse Details
    Senior Member Wild Imagination Films's Avatar
    This thought opens a very large can of unruly worms. Can a film element be satisfied by the lack of the element? Glad it's 5am Texas time while I'm pondering this question. This way I'm not really awake and therefore not responsible for a real answer.
    "From now on, I will make films I want to watch."
    William@Wild Imagination Films.com
    WildImaginationFilms.com

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Wild Imagination Films View Post
    Can a film element be satisfied by the lack of the element?
    i think so. because the lack of a thing doesn't create a void, it isn't "nothingness". it's filled by an antithesis (or anti-thesis). my feeling is that a thesis about a lack of faith, teaches us about faith. a thesis about a lack of communication teaches about communication. a thesis about the lack of love, teaches us about love. of course, that doesn't necessarily mean it's going to be good or effective storytelling.
    Last edited by Zak Forsman; 02-17-2008 at 03:05 AM.
    DOWN AND DANGEROUS is now on iTunes :: A smuggler bleeds like anyone else. He just gets more chances to prove it.

4. Collapse Details
    I really hope the next fest is action film fest.
    WildImaginationFilms.com

5. Collapse Details
    I really hope the next fest is action film fest.
    i prefer themes over genres for these fests. whatever the theme, you can easily mold it into an action pic.

6. Collapse Details
    Zak, go to bed, you're not getting the jokes anymore.
    Recap:
    Will- Can the lack of an element satisfy the need for an element
    Zak- Blah blah blah "yes," blah blah blah "the lack of love points out love" blah blah blah.
    Will- I really hope the next fest is Action Fest.

I'm out, gotta shoot in a couple of hours and I haven't slept in a couple of days.
    WildImaginationFilms.com

7. Collapse Details
    jokes, huh. he's a regular groucho marx, this guy.

8. Collapse Details
    For a film to work it should jog certain work-shy neurons. You can't set narrow guidelines according to what only you understand of the theme. Some of the more naive interpretations lost the game early on for me.
    Last edited by stephen_nugent; 02-17-2008 at 04:35 AM.

9. Collapse Details
    Still Alive Mod Jack Daniel Stanley's Avatar
    Cheat, Whore, Kill, and Offend were all well represented. Love, however, was left out in the cold in most of what I watched. So My question is, if the Fest is about Love, then how can a film be considered eligible if the theme isn't met?
    It's not Represent True Love fest.

It's a fest that has to do with love and relationships. No one said that every film had to have TRUE LOVE in the movie to qualify. That's an EXTREMELY narrow interpretation, and narrow interpretations are the opposite of what these fests are about.

It's not about making 50 movies that have the same point of view.

Sometimes one person loves another and gets shafted. We have some of those movies, we have some where the most noble parts of the human spirit are brought to bear. So you could have cheating and whoring and killing by one party while the other blindly adores them.

But again, no one said it had to be real love, true love, pure love, good love, the best in man kind love.

I think most people tried to make movies rich in conflict that had to do with wanting, needing, being blinded by, driven to extremes by, hurt by screwed over by love.

And if you look in the dictionary you will find lots of definitions of non-platonic love that don't have anything to do with Meg Ryan and Tom hanks find at the end of a movie and have a helluva lot to do with

Cheat, Whore, Kill, and Offend ...
    1.a profoundly tender, passionate affection for another person. 2.a feeling of warm personal attachment or deep affection, as for a parent, child, or friend. 3.sexual passion or desire. 4.a person toward whom love is felt; beloved person; sweetheart. 5.(used in direct address as a term of endearment, affection, or the like): Would you like to see a movie, love? 6.a love affair; an intensely amorous incident; amour. 7.sexual intercourse; copulation. 8.(initial capital letter) a personification of sexual affection, as Eros or Cupid. 9.affectionate concern for the well-being of others: the love of one's neighbor. 10.strong predilection, enthusiasm, or liking for anything: her love of books. 11.the object or thing so liked: The theater was her great love. 12.the benevolent affection of God for His creatures, or the reverent affection due from them to God. 13.Chiefly Tennis. a score of zero; nothing. 14.a word formerly used in communications to represent the letter L. –verb (used with object) 15.to have love or affection for: All her pupils love her. 16.to have a profoundly tender, passionate affection for (another person). 17.to have a strong liking for; take great pleasure in: to love music. 18.to need or require; benefit greatly from: Plants love sunlight. 19.to embrace and kiss (someone), as a lover. 20.to have sexual intercourse with. –verb (used without object) 21.to have love or affection for another person; be in love. —Verb phrase22.love up, to hug and cuddle: She loves him up every chance she gets. —Idioms23.for love, a.out of affection or liking; for pleasure. b.without compensation; gratuitously: He took care of the poor for love. 24.for the love of, in consideration of; for the sake of: For the love of mercy, stop that noise. 25.in love, infused with or feeling deep affection or passion: a youth always in love. 26.in love with, feeling deep affection or passion for (a person, idea, occupation, etc.); enamored of: in love with the girl next door; in love with one's work. 27.make love, a.to embrace and kiss as lovers. b.to engage in sexual activity.

Should we have called it passion fest?

And what do you think all those people that are cheating and horring and killing are doing it for. Either in response to the lack of romantic love, being hurt by it, or being driven to extremes by it.

Now you can argue that real love doesn't make you do that, to which I would say two things
    1. So what. Again, no one said it had to be noble, pure, good, and grand love fest.
    2. If you want to get specific about it, the Ancient Greeks used three different words for love: Eros, Phiia, Agape.
      • Eros (erotic) having to do with intense burning sexual desire.
      • Philia having to do with a fondness of (but less selfish) and intense feeling of loyalty beyond friendship such as for family members, but again more absent of selfish longing.
      • And Agape drawing on the both Philia and Eros ... an intense attraction and passion for but without the need for reciprocity, in other words not selfish ... not something that would drive you to malicious acts.
    It seems like you are advocating an All Agape Fest. But since the Festival Planners and coordinators did not specify one vs. the other and since they screened and admitted 50 films as qualifying based on the criteria they set forth ... I'd say every single official entry and even the non comps I've seen so far have to do with the theme of love in some form, or the fallout that can be caused by too much or too little of it.
    JACKDANIELSTANLEY.COM
    FREE AWARD-WINNING MOSTLY-HORROR SHORTS FROM
    DVXUSER, TRIBECA, SLAMDANCE, SXSW, TORONTO AFTER DARK, AND MORE...

10. Collapse Details
    Still Alive Mod Jack Daniel Stanley's Avatar
    This thought opens a very large can of unruly worms. Can a film element be satisfied by the lack of the element? Glad it's 5am Texas time while I'm pondering this question. This way I'm not really awake and therefore not responsible for a real answer.
    It's not even one worm and he's far from unruly because the physical absence of THING X in a film does not mean X is absent as a theme.

If we had GOLD FEST, and some filmmakers made a film about pirates that died trying to get it and failed, or an old prospector that went mad looking for it and never found it. Or a conman who got conned by someone else on the heist and wound up stealing aluminum bars painted gold, or another prospector that went mad and thought he'd found gold and tried trade donkey feces (which he thought was gold) for goods at the general store, those films would still deal with the THEME of GOLD and how it can affect you even though nary a nugget, bar, or coin was present.
    JACKDANIELSTANLEY.COM
    FREE AWARD-WINNING MOSTLY-HORROR SHORTS FROM
    DVXUSER, TRIBECA, SLAMDANCE, SXSW, TORONTO AFTER DARK, AND MORE...

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast